Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 04:59 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,664,291 times

Advertisements

AMAZING how one can find most anything on the internet. Breathing anything in, such as flour, dust, air pollution, car fumes, or basically just breathing the air, can and does give you health problems.

Goygoy, no I didn't point out NOT to breathe the DE. I use it ONLY in my cats' food, and yes, just like when I am baking an apple pie, I am careful not to breathe the flour and now the DE. It is extremely fine, just like flour is, and if you use it near a fan or an open window, it can and does become air born. I use it with care and I will continue to use it BECAUSE I AM SEEING AN IMPROVEMENT IN MY CATS' TEETH WHO HAVE GINGIVITIS.

I am also using it for a second reason. It eliminates parasites and I can finally walk away from Drontal. But, sorry, that is for another thread.

I also googled Diatamateous Earth, so here is some further information on it. I don't agree with all of this, but in fairness, I am posting it for you so you can make an educated decision. If you prefer, by all means use a dust mask. Better safe then sorry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth

Best of luck with Weasie! It really is hard when one of our babies is ill.

Last edited by Garden of Eden; 04-23-2011 at 06:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 06:49 PM

Re:^^^ Keep in mind when you read DE link, the DE I am using is certified as organic and food grade, versus industrial. Most of the ^^^ info is on industrial DE.

This link is strictly on food grade Diatamateous Earth.

Diatomaceous Earth - Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth Health Benefits

Last edited by Garden of Eden; 04-23-2011 at 07:21 PM..

Old 04-23-2011, 08:19 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,986,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
Re:^^^ Keep in mind when you read DE link, the DE I am using is certified as organic and food grade, versus industrial. Most of the ^^^ info is on industrial DE.

This link is strictly on food grade Diatamateous Earth.

Diatomaceous Earth - Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth Health Benefits
Pool grade DE is not dangerous as this site claims (without any evidence at all). That is a flat out lie! DO NOT BREATHE ANY OF IT. I've used it for years to filter my ponds. My ponds contained fish but now only frogs, newts, toads, black and green sliders and at times, water snakes. Birds drink from them all the time as does the local wildlife. I've yet to find anything dead laying around or in the ponds or around my property. I've used it to filter my aquariums containing expensive fish including the delicate neon tetra without a problem. I believe these sites make the claims they do because DE is so cheap when bought in bulk. A fraction of what they'll sell it to you for. Is it food grade? Who knows but it certainly isn't dangerous to animals, fish, amphibians, birds, cats, dogs, possums, raccoons, squirrels etc unless it's inhaled. I'm sure we all know by now that just because it's "on the net" doesn't make it true.

it doesn't point out which parasites it's supposed to eliminate or even mention having a fecal run by your vet to find out what the cat may have, if any.

There are many claims made on that site with no reference to any real testing done anywhere. ** Read their disclaimer. **

This post is not meant to insult or attack any person. It was posted to point out how misleading websites can be and how careful we must be when treating our cats.

[SIZE=5][SIZE=3][SIZE=2] to use in and around your [/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Last edited by =^..^=; 04-23-2011 at 08:33 PM..

Old 04-23-2011, 08:37 PM

327 posts, read 968,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
There isn't any reason your senior cat can't have dental work done, as long as she is in good health.

The vet should use sevoflurane gas anesthesia. It's very fast acting and safe. Any anesthesia might be a little rough on the kidneys but what's more important a long life full of mouth pain or perhaps a few months less, but pain free?

Dental problems cause many other serious problems in addition to the pain. Kidney failure and heart disease to name two.

And cats hide pain instinctively so if your cat is in so much pain she can't eat, she is in agony and has been for a long time.

I'd find another vet. Get some blood work done, get the dental done. A life of mouth pain is no way for a cat to spend her golden years.
Great post, Catsmom. I learned this the hard way with my senior cat who would not eat. Many seniors suffer from peridontal gum disease, and dental cleaning is imperative to their health. It's not cheap and there is some risk with anesthesia, but I'm a believer now. My 15 year old cat regained her appetite and her playfulness.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellykat View Post
Great post, Catsmom. I learned this the hard way with my senior cat who would not eat. Many seniors suffer from peridontal gum disease, and dental cleaning is imperative to their health. It's not cheap and there is some risk with anesthesia, but I'm a believer now. My 15 year old cat regained her appetite and her playfulness.
Thank you for posting this. Allow me to add to it. The cat is put under light general anesthesia. They feel nothing. The teeth are cleaned and any that are beyond saving will be removed. Their mouth will be thoroughly examined for ulcers, tumors, foreign objects such as bone shards jammed beside a molar, cracked or broken teeth, injury or sores under the tongue, on the roof of the mouth etc. This cannot be done at home and there are no supplements of any kind that will take the place of what the vet does when they're under anesthesia and their mouth worked on. After the teeth are cleaned, they're polished and the cat is given a shot of antibiotics and perhaps a mild pain killer. Her face is gently cleaned and dried and she goes into a cage to be watched until she's conscious enough to remove the endo' tube. I never saw a cat or dog of any age die during this procedure.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:37 PM

Goygoy, forgive me for even posting anything about Diatamateous Earth on your thread. If I had known it would have created such a hassle, I would have by all means avoided even mentioning it. Anytime I post on this forum anything "new" or "different", I am met with stiff lectures. I meant no harm. This product that I did mention here is OMRI listed and allow me to reiterate, FOOD DEGRADEABLE, NOT POOL GRADE DE!

I have never posted anything here that would or could potentially harm anyone. My advice was to put DE in Weasie's food, NOT for Weasie or YOU to inhale it. I am seeing absolutey wonderful results regarding my cats' gingivitis problems.

Bottom line, if you don't like my advice, that is fine, just don't use it and go on. I have never insisted anyone here follow my advice. I just put my words here to help people think and to know there is more then one way to do anything.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
Goygoy, forgive me for even posting anything about Diatamateous Earth on your thread. If I had known it would have created such a hassle, I would have by all means avoided even mentioning it. Anytime I post on this forum anything "new" or "different", I am met with stiff lectures. I meant no harm. This product that I did mention here is OMRI listed and allow me to reiterate, FOOD DEGRADEABLE, NOT POOL GRADE DE!
You give your viewpoints as a pet owner using alternative meds. I'm giving mine as a trained veterinary technician. That's not lecturing. It's a sharing of knowledge which is always a good thing. That's why these Forums exist.

Quote:
I have never posted anything here that would or could potentially harm anyone. My advice was to put DE in Weasie's food, NOT for Weasie or YOU to inhale it. I am seeing absolutey wonderful results regarding my cats' gingivitis problems.
His cat wasn't diagnosed with gingivitis. That may not be her problem at all. He first has to have a vet do a complete exam of her entire mouth. That can't be done with most cats unless they're under sedation. Once the cat's problem is diagnosed, he can take it from there. Perhaps let the vet do the work on her mouth and add the DE afterward. Being careful not the breathe the powder, it most likely wont hurt the cat.

Quote:
Bottom line, if you don't like my advice, that is fine, just don't use it and go on. I have never insisted anyone here follow my advice. I just put my words here to help people think and to know there is more then one way to do anything.
This is true. I agree. But there must be a diagnosis first. You can't treat something until you know what you're dealing with. Apparently the cat's mouth was not thoroughly examined by his vet. She may have broken or rotted teeth that need to be removed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats