Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 12:12 AM

1 posts, read 3,633 times

Advertisements

Yay! After many days of waiting my cat had kittens. She's a total black (Burmese? Is that what you call it?) and she mated with a white-and-brown tom.
She had exactly two: one a male (gray with darker stripes) and the other a female (white-and-brown with darker tabby stripes on forehead).
I'm just kind of worried. Whenever I come out and look at her, she immediately leaps to her feet and mews excitedly. Is there something I should be doing at that time, or something that I shouldn't? Can't figure
it out.
Sometimes I feel so stupid.

Anyways.. I just need to know. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 06:02 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,585,079 times
Hello and welcome. It sounds like she is just talking to you, telling you about her little family.

I'm sorry your poor kitty was put through this. Be sure to have them all, mother and kittens, tested for disease, once the kittens are old enough. And have the kittens spayed or neutered before adopting them out.

Also keep the mother inside until the kittens are weaned and you can have her spayed, as she can go into heat again at any time.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:05 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,864,343 times
total black just means shes a black cat, burmese is a recognized breed and unless your cat came with registration papaers form the CFA shes not even remotly likley to be a burmese...

the 'normal" house cat is refered to as the domestic short (or long) hair, it essentially means "mutt" and theres nothng wrong with that.
many cats are often confused for being a purebred just because they are colored like one (ie a white kitten with points like a siamese is NOT a siamese unless born to siamese parents...color doesnt make breed.

least she had a small litter, things will be alot easier on her with just 2

in terms of her tlaking, some cats after having kittens want nothing to do with people...other cats are more demanding of attention. it just depends on their personality, when she starts loving on you and talking to you give her a fuss

and as catsmom stated, keep her INDOORS untill shes been spayed she can come into heat ANY time after having babies (including days after givng birth) this is NOT good for her and needs to be avoided at all costs

Old 05-17-2011, 07:24 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,100,559 times
How are you so sure who she mated with? Did you deliberately let her mate? Did you want to have kittens? What are your plans for her kittens and for her future?

Are you aware of how many cats are put to sleep at shelters every day and how they are killed?
Are you aware of how many people just don't even think about spaying or neutering their cats or dogs?

Old 05-17-2011, 10:30 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,373,081 times
You are lucky to only have 2 kits. Our cat had SIX! When we got our cat, she was not spayed, and my Mom did not realize how young cats can go into heat. We gave away 4, and kept 2.

Buy extra wet food, and make a little kit "cat box", I used a 9X9 cake pan.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:40 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,587,058 times
Welcome, and congratulations on the new furry family members...any chance of seeing some pics? We love pics around here, especially of kittens!

As a few others have said, please keep mamma and babies indoors, at least until the're fixed...it really is better for them to be fixed, a female cat's risk of getting mammary tumors increases with every heat cycle, and the rate of fatality among female cats afflicted with these tumors is around 95%. Unfixed males tend to spray, roam, fight/get and spread disease, and mate with every female around, spreading those diseases to them and their offspring.

There are so many unwanted cats sitting in shelters who are perfectly healthy and still don't ever find that forever home and the love they deserve...there is no need to breed our pets, if we wish for more animals, we can easily find them everywhere we turn .

Old 05-17-2011, 08:47 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
Well congratulations! I am a bit envious~love those kittens.

I believe mom-cat mewing is her way of saying: look at my little ones, aren't they the greatest? She sounds like a very proud mommie. You need do nothing-cats are wonderful moms.

When our adopted feral cat (already pregnant) had 3 kittens at my house, we hovered over them, etc., with plans to spay mom and find good homes for the 3 kittens.

But when 8 weeks came: we adored them all so much, kept all 3! (neutered/spayed each one.....)

gbh

Old 05-17-2011, 09:07 PM

1,870 posts, read 2,390,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
Welcome, and congratulations on the new furry family members...any chance of seeing some pics? We love pics around here, especially of kittens!

--Respectfuly snipped--
Yes, we need pics! As the youngsters say on their message boards, "This thread is useless without pics."

But what happened to the OP? A one post wonder?

Old 05-18-2011, 08:41 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,604,392 times
I wouldn't worry about the meowing, just give mama cat lots of love and pets and make sure she has lots of food, fresh water and a clean litter box. You may want to use a large box with blankets to put them in if you haven't already. But open one end so mama cat can get in and out easily.

Also I agree with Luv, make sure she's spayed as soon as the babies are weaned and make sure mama and babies stay indoors. Are you planning on keeping the kittens?

Old 05-20-2011, 09:43 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,624,808 times
kittens are so cute!

i currently have 4:

my ragdoll dexter, the oldest at 6 years
my chatreux cheeseburger, 4 years old
my not-sure-what-breed-he-is apollo, whos 2 and looks like a clone of dexter (dex is a flame point ragdoll)
finally, my 8 month old siamese chester, who is best friends with apollo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats