Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 07:23 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,945,150 times

Advertisements

About three weeks ago this obviously young kitty showed up on my front porch starved to the point of starvation and she has managed to put on a lot of weight since so you can only imagine.

My Porch Kitty taken a couple hours ago.

So I bought a bag of Meow Mix but she wouldn't eat that so I gave her a can of human tuna in water which she really liked. It took a week but I got her to eating the Meow Mix which I always have out along with water.

The porch is clean, large and raised about 3' above ground so she feels safe surveying around. She either stays on the porch or very nearby in the garden but appears very content staying close.

When I get home she greets me by running up, I pet, talk to her a bit before going into the house. When I open the front door I can tell she would very much like to come in but I can't let her. I am very allergic to cats and would let her in if I wouldn't end up in the hospital.

Taking her to the shelter would be a death sentence so I won't do that.

Friday afternoon I will take her to the vet... worms, shots and set her up for spaying so we don't have kittens and attract Tom's. She also has a wound on her tail I want the vet to look at. Most certainly she has fleas so I will get something to take care of them too.

She could live on the porch and in exchange I will make sure she is fed, watered and medically taken care of and while I know I can not let her in the house I still feel guilty about it. I know, I hear what some of you are thinking but I can't.

So I am thinking of setting up an environment... perhaps a "Cat House" is in order? Similar to a dog house but with an opening only she can squeeze through where she would feel safe at night? Maybe up on a perch where two cat jumps can get her up? Ever hear of such a thing?

Very little traffic on the street. Maybe this isn't the greatest setup a cat could hope for but in my opinion it beats any alternatives.

Anyone have suggestions? Anyone want a nice, friendly cat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 07:36 PM

7,201 posts, read 15,007,726 times
If you make her a little house you have to make sure predators can't trap her inside. There must be two entrances. Are the winter's bitter cold where you live? Meow Mix is mostly corn filler with very little that's nutritious. Canned food is much better than anything dried.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:39 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,600,711 times
Setting up a condo for her on your porch is a terrific idea, many have done such things. As you said, an elevated type shelter is best, and be sure to ahve two exits. Yes, a home where she could come inside would be ideal, but as you say, the haven you are offering is better than nothing.

Getting her vetted first thing is the first step, and you can continue to look for a good home for her while you provide her with the basics.

Meow mix isn't a very good food though, I don't know what your budget is like, but perhaps you could upgrade to a food that contains meat as the first ingredients?

Congratulations on being chosen and THANK YOU for accepting the challenge and caring.

Keep us posted on the pretty little girl, what's her name?

Old 05-25-2011, 07:42 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,689,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Meow Mix is mostly corn filler with very little that's nutritious. Canned food is much better than anything dried.
im quite sure that the cat is ecstatic that someone is feeeding it even meow mix. "im getting fed i dont care if its nutritious or not! (Signed, the Cat)

Old 05-25-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
im quite sure that the cat is ecstatic that someone is feeeding it even meow mix. "im getting fed i dont care if its nutritious or not! (Signed, the Cat)
Sure, she's glad of anything edible, but a cat living outside needs the best nutrition she can get to stay healthy. And Meow Mix is not it.

The OP is an Angel for allowing her/himself to be Chosen and clearly wants to do what's best for this little girl.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:03 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,945,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
If you make her a little house you have to make sure predators can't trap her inside. There must be two entrances. Are the winter's bitter cold where you live? Meow Mix is mostly corn filler with very little that's nutritious. Canned food is much better than anything dried.
I think I will call her Porch Kitty.

I didn't think about the two exits.

I got to do something, went out and when I came home I didn't see her. Looked around the porch, no kitty but when I opened the door I looked back and she was on the porch steps. I think she is sort of hiding out in the garden shrubbery or maybe under my wife's car. I can tell she would so love to come inside but even though it breaks my heart I can't let her.

Silly question, can cats get heartworm? Reason I ask is heartworm is very prevalent for dogs... you got a dog that doesn't get monthly treatment he will get heartworm.

I don't think weather will be a big problem.

Summers are hot.

Spring and fall are simply wonderful with daytime highs of 80 with overnight low of 60.

December, January and February typically have daytime highs 55 to 65 with overnight lows of 45 to 50 but once in a while we will get overnight frost with the coldest we have had for the previous five years is 28 degrees. "Hey", says the cat, "it could be worse, I could be in Minnesota!"

I am afraid moist cat food will attract bugs if left outside. We never have a killing frost so we got bugs. I guess I can give her a can once in a while... money isn't an issue.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:16 PM

Yes cats can get heartworm. When you bring her to the vet she will be given a SNAP test, this tests for FeLV/FIV/Heartworm. (FeLV=Feline Leukemia FIV= Feline Aids)

To protect her, use Revolution for cats spot on flea treatment. This will protect against fleas, hook worm, round worm, ear mites and heartworm. But get her to the vet first, Revolution should only be used on healthy animals. She will need to be dewormed, also, for tapeworm, which Revolution does not cover.

Since she is to live outside she will need to be vaccinated against rabies, distemper (panlekopenia) and the other respiratory illnesses (called a 3 in 1 or 4 in 1 vaccine) and feline Leukemia.

All this can be discussed with the vet.

Feed her canned food when you are going to be around to pick up the dish as soon as she finishes. Leave a good quality kibble for her in her Shelter, but don't leave food out over night, ever. It will attract other animals.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:22 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,880,031 times
What pretty leg stripes Porch kitty has....glad you are someone who does the right thing as far as feral/stray animals. They need us.

Lucky you to be so chosen by Porch kitty. They DO know where best to find a home.

Good luck! Any love and caring you give her will be returned ten-fold!

gbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
About three weeks ago this obviously young kitty showed up on my front porch starved to the point of starvation and she has managed to put on a lot of weight since so you can only imagine.

My Porch Kitty taken a couple hours ago.

So I bought a bag of Meow Mix but she wouldn't eat that so I gave her a can of human tuna in water which she really liked. It took a week but I got her to eating the Meow Mix which I always have out along with water.

The porch is clean, large and raised about 3' above ground so she feels safe surveying around. She either stays on the porch or very nearby in the garden but appears very content staying close.

When I get home she greets me by running up, I pet, talk to her a bit before going into the house. When I open the front door I can tell she would very much like to come in but I can't let her. I am very allergic to cats and would let her in if I wouldn't end up in the hospital.

Taking her to the shelter would be a death sentence so I won't do that.

Friday afternoon I will take her to the vet... worms, shots and set her up for spaying so we don't have kittens and attract Tom's. She also has a wound on her tail I want the vet to look at. Most certainly she has fleas so I will get something to take care of them too.

She could live on the porch and in exchange I will make sure she is fed, watered and medically taken care of and while I know I can not let her in the house I still feel guilty about it. I know, I hear what some of you are thinking but I can't.

So I am thinking of setting up an environment... perhaps a "Cat House" is in order? Similar to a dog house but with an opening only she can squeeze through where she would feel safe at night? Maybe up on a perch where two cat jumps can get her up? Ever hear of such a thing?

Very little traffic on the street. Maybe this isn't the greatest setup a cat could hope for but in my opinion it beats any alternatives.

Anyone have suggestions? Anyone want a nice, friendly cat?

Old 05-26-2011, 01:58 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,844,632 times
I've been "chosen" as of recently too (see my "Weasie & Leroy" post.) Leroy is also destined to not live within my four walls. He's feral and about two years old, likely past the point when he could've been domesticated. I've been in touch with Alley Cat Allies. The plan is to do TNR, after which I intend to set up a haven for him in a far corner of the back yard.
Even if steep odds are beaten and Leroy can accept and own me, odds are even steeper that Weasie would share space with him happily. She's had the run of the house for eighteen years and there isn't all that much room to begin with. BUT if lightning strikes twice and they become friends that'd be a game changer.
On Block Island RI there's an inn with a resident black cat named Mickey. He's a "rehabbed" feral tom who came with the property when the latest proprietors purchased it about five years ago. Because one of the innkeepers claims allergies (a claim I'm always skeptical of, sorry) Mickey has been relegated to the outdoors. Since the previous owners also hadn't let him in, and given his past, it's no faze to him. All parties are satisfied with the arrangement: Mickey has a sturdy cozy little house for himself, which is placed atop a high table beneath the second-floor porch during the winter. His people even put in an electric blanket once it starts getting cold outside. He plays his role as feline host to the hilt, delighting guests with his friendly ways, and is perfectly content with things as they are. It's my hope that I can also achieve this happy medium with Leroy, and that the OP can with their new friend.

Old 05-26-2011, 04:40 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,169,298 times
Bless your heart! She's got such pretty markings.

I do agree with the food...especially in winter when if it's hard to keep water unfrozen. At my last house I fed "porch cats" (and spayed/neutered some of them) and would mix canned food with warm water into gruel and put it out early in the morning in a big dish. The strays and ferals would descend the minute I closed the door. I won't put food outside in this house...I am more rural, it would attract a lot of wildlife and my neighbors probably wouldn't be too thrilled. At the last city house, I had a throng of cats on my front porch sometimes.

I have four cats now, they were all originally "porch cats." All boys, one was a feral kitten and will probably be feral for life...I have never been able to get close to him, had to trap him for neutering. I have a cat door into the mud room, so although they have access to outside (quite safe where I live, plus these are street-smart cats) their food and water is inside and they have a warm place to sleep when it's cold. Gorman, Archie, Elvis and Cheech.

I keep thinking Porch Cat should be named Portia (pronounced Poor-sha). I know someone with that name and it's pretty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats