Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 12:59 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,586,460 times

Advertisements

I received this in my e-mail today and wanted to share it with all of you...I hope this helps others understand the importance of educating ourselves as much as possible about the health and well-being of our four-legged friends!

Proper Schedule of Kitten and Puppy Shots
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 03:56 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,439,950 times
very interesting... thanks for sharing.

forum rules, please read them

Old 06-07-2011, 05:47 PM

2,029 posts, read 4,038,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
I received this in my e-mail today and wanted to share it with all of you...I hope this helps others understand the importance of educating ourselves as much as possible about the health and well-being of our four-legged friends!

Proper Schedule of Kitten and Puppy Shots
Thanks for sharing! Great article and very interesting.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:58 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,995,469 times
They're not revaccinating my cats any time soon.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:05 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
"Dr." Mercola is a known internet quack who sells whatever people pay him to sell, as long as it gives him an excuse to criticize allopathy. He is one of the "loudest mouths" on the web in the anti-vaccine camp, making outrageous claims that more people die after being vaccinated than they help. He also continues to insist that they cause autism, claims that HIV doesn't cause AIDS, promotes the consumption of saturated fats for health, and is generally regarded as a medical conspiracy theorist not worth listening to, unless you're looking for pure entertainment value.

When I hovered my mouse over the link to get the URL (I never link directly without checking what I'm linking to first), I saw it was a mercola site, and didn't even bother looking at it.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:39 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,439,950 times
Just because this appears on the Mercola website doesn't make it untrue ... and I know two vets I take my cats to, that agree with what they are saying....
Just as I don't believe everything on "alternative" websites, I sure wouldn't believe everything on conventional ones either. Lots of people and animals DO die from side effects from supposedly "safe" medications and procedures. Nothing is fool proof and I figure I try to get all the info I can and then make my own decisions

forum rules, please read them

Old 06-07-2011, 08:46 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,945,418 times
Thanks for posting the article! There are more studies than that proving that vaccinations usually provide lifelong immunity. Do a google scholar search and you will see that. We have done titers for our oldest dog and have never had to vaccinate for anything over the three year rabies because it is the law. But, the titer report from Kansas State has come back with enough immunity even before we get the three year. Do titers and you will find that in 99% of cases that we are over vaccinating our pets. After all, how often do we get our own shots? Maybe once every ten years if that with the exception being the flu shot? So, why should our animals be any different?

Old 06-07-2011, 09:29 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
The Mercola site does have an agenda, and recommendations for people especially are suspect given the big push to sell you all kinds of solutions for what they say is wrong (for example, cookware).

That said, they don't seem to be selling pet stuff and this particular bit of info may not be wrong. I didn't watch the video, just read the summary, but it's not that surprising in general.

The typical sticking point for vaccines is rabies, required by law in most places. Amber hasn't had any other type of vaccine in several years. One way to get around this is to not go to the vet, but this is not sustainable for the life of the cat.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:48 AM

2,807 posts, read 7,586,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
When I hovered my mouse over the link to get the URL (I never link directly without checking what I'm linking to first), I saw it was a mercola site, and didn't even bother looking at it.
They're not trying to sell anything in this interview, they're encouraging people to do titers tests in lieu of routine vaccinations that may not be necessary since most of these vaccines provide immunity for much longer than people realize. As others posted, this is information that is coming to the surface more and more recently from vets themselves, and I think it would be great if people could show documentation of having tested their pets for immunity instead of being forced to vaccinate every year.

While I understand your reluctance to click onto a site being run by someone you don't respect, I also think that only by hearing/reading opposing sides of a story are we able to come to our own informed decisions about things like this.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:07 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
If the story is valid, it will be available on a valid website. As far as I'm concerned, anything on the mercola website is trash, and any scientist who publishes his work on the mercola website has questionable motives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats