Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 01:33 AM

1 posts, read 4,824 times

Advertisements

Hi, my daughter wants a Siamese Cat for her 12th Birthday.

Only problem I have stumbled upon is they are loud cats. Which would not do well in my home since, my sister is living with me with a 2 year old till December..

Was wondering are Siamese very loud? Which is quieter a boy or a girl?

I am willing to get her a Siamese but if the cat is LOUD I am going to go insane and I don't think that would be a great idea for little ones who need their sleep.

thank you for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 05:46 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
Some are more 'talkative' than others. They do meow more than the avg cat. My daughter had 2 siamese when she was little and neither one 'talked' a lot except when the female was in heat. (note.. that was a long long long time ago) They both were great with her and she was only 8 yo. My DH worked shift work so if they were that loud he would have pitched a fit since he was not a cat lover.
My friend had a siamese though who was not very friendly so you do need to spend time with them. He would slap you if you tried to pet him.

I love them and would have another one if I could find one. Be sure you adopt from a home and not a pet store.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:05 AM

3,605 posts, read 9,058,713 times
I had 2 siamese and they did talk a lot when they wanted something. I would say they were pretty much normal cats, maybe a little louder but they didn't meow incessantly. There are lots of siamese in shelters, it's a great place to search for one that will fit into your family.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:20 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
That is the beauty of the Siamese breed. They like to talk. They don't just go around meowing. They have something to say, like Hello I've missed you, It's time to eat and Please let me sit in your lap. If she only wants a Siamese for the looks now is the best time to teach her about the differences between breeds.

Having said that, I would suggest you wait until the baby is no longer in your house no matter what you get. After baby is gone go to a rescue and get a beautiful grown cat and don't mess with a kitten. Teach her about how shelter cats are relinquished for all sorts of reasons and give her an IOU for her BD.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:28 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,237,676 times
i adopted a siamese from a shelter about 8 months ago. he is pretty quiet, probably even quieter than my other cat. he is a super sweet beautiful cat. the type is chocolate apple head. bright blue eyes. i couldnt resist him when i saw him at the shelter. id say go for it.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:35 AM

575 posts, read 1,996,290 times
Siamese are known to be talkers - males "in general" more than females. But here is where I'm going to say get the cat you want. Siamese makes up a part of a lot of cat breeds so if you were to consider another pedigreed cat because you wanted to avoid the Siamese talkativeness then you would most likely not be coming out ahead.

A lot of the "talkativeness" also depends on each individual. There are three Tonkinese in my family between me and my mom (two are mine). My Lexie talks some, My Simon never shuts up and my moms Maddie is very quiet. And they are all from the same lines - Lexie and Maddie have the same father and were raised at the same time by the same breeder though not in the same litter.

This is where getting to know a good breeder and asking the right questions will come into play Some cats and some lines are known for certain characteristics within their cattery. I think if you love the cat you will learn that their talking to you is charming and part of their personality. I love that my cats are talkers and not just silent fixtures of my home.

However if a cat talking to you is really going to make you nuts then please do avoid it - or he will end up a shelter baby. Just please research your next breed of choice carefully to avoid this characteristic in another breed.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:19 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
You didn't specifically say kitten, so adult cat might be way to go. You might find one in a shelter, rescue, etc. The right shelters will have some idea on the current behavior of the cat and thus how talkative it is. They may also have some idea of how well the cat would do with a 2-year-old who may not be well-inclined to be gentle with the cat. That's probably the more critical issue, much more than the cat possibly waking up the kid. There certainly are cats that are more easy-going than others and some would do just fine with young children. That said, it wouldn't necessarily be wrong to give an IOU until December either.

Good luck.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:31 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
Also.. if you get a kitten from a shelter it may look like a Siamese kitten but you won't know for sure until they get older. I have 2 cats who were all white with blue eyes and points but they are not purebred. An older rescue cat might be better for you and your family.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:39 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,603,466 times
My former neighbor had the sweetest siamese cat! He was so gentle with their toddler-aged kids, although the parents always monitored them together (never leave an animal alone with a child). Whether you adopt a kitten or a cat make sure you pay close attention to the disposition of the cat. IMO the best cat to get with kids is a cat who is easy-going and not skittish, doesn't mind noise or new people, and loves everyone. It may be easier to point out these characteristics in a cat who is 6 months old or older. I don't think I've ever met a cat that could wake up a child with meows, but siamese cats are the most talkative breed so it's something to consider. When the baby is sleeping you could always just close the door to the room.

Make sure that even though the cat is a "gift" that you are the primary caregiver and you're ok with those responsibilities from the get go. Cats live for 15+ years so when your daughter goes away to college or moves out, it's all you. I'm sure you've considered this already, but I just wanted to mention it just in case.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:12 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
also make sure the cat does not get in the crib with the baby cause it will take it's breath away
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats