Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2011, 09:17 PM

26 posts, read 112,516 times

Advertisements

Hi,
For the last few days my cat hasn't been purring as much as he usually does. He will at night, but during the day he hasn't been purring. He is acting completely normal. He is acting how he always does without the purring though. We are in the process of switching his food so maybe that's why? He eats all his new food though.
Please help!
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 09:24 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,352,792 times
Hmmm, is he a kitten? Is he growing older?

Once, Mickey did not purr, and I thought it was odd...later that same day, there was an earthquake.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:55 PM

He is 8.

Old 08-20-2011, 05:41 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,155,603 times
Cats don't only purr when they're content, they also purr when they are uncomfortable or in pain.
So less purring may mean he's feeling better.

Why and how do cats purr?(Everyday Mysteries: Fun Science Facts from the Library of Congress)

Old 08-20-2011, 11:01 AM

Well, we are trying to help him lose weight. We switched to Wellness canned food. Maybe he is feeling better because the food is so good for him, and it makes him feel better.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:22 AM

I think he is mad because we switched his food. I'm pretty sure I remember this from another time.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:45 AM

I gave him like 6 kibbels of dry food and what do you know! He is purring when I pet him and he is more affectionate now! We will have to slowly lean him off dry food

Old 08-21-2011, 06:56 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,827,228 times
Yes - slow transitioning is definitely called for. Cats are creatures of habit and routine, so dietary "disruption" would definitely affect the mood of yours. It should go just fine. When younger, Weasie was given dry food as a rule and canned food as a treat. Now it's completely reversed. She no longer comes running upon hearing the sound of the silverware drawer or can opener, but one shake of a dry-food box and ZOOM!

I can also vouch for all-purpose purring. Once, after having gone missing for two days, Weasie materialized at the far end of a neighbor's property and slowly made her way to the wood fence alongside the sidewalk. She then demonstrated that she was in no condition to scrunch underneath it the way she usually does. I carried her home, trying to see what was the matter, and placed her on the living-room floor when we got inside. She stayed there and cried rather than jump onto the couch. But when I lifted her up there, she was rumbling to beat the band. There were no visible marks on her despite her obvious discomfort. Had it not been for her inability to scrunch or jump I'd've never known anything was the matter. Her purring implied that everything was copacetic. I only found out differently when the emergency vet trimmed a layer of fur and we discovered a deep scratch and an abrasion running parallel most of the way up Weeze's midsection. She'd tried to hold onto the trunk of a tree to slow her descent after a branch snapped under her as she climbed, as best as we could surmise. The pain had to have been terrible - that was my lesson that purrs could have a tranquilizing effect as well as be an expression of contentment.
And nowadays when Weasie's motor is running, I have to wonder. We celebrated her nineteenth birthday several weeks ago and she's in excellent health. But she's living with arthritis (helped by Dasuquin), enough that I've yet to see her take the luxuriating rolls on the sidewalk that cats normally revel in during hot weather. Are her purrs out of happiness, a way to mitigate the "rheumatism," or both?

Old 08-21-2011, 04:01 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,155,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joenathan View Post
I gave him like 6 kibbels of dry food and what do you know! He is purring when I pet him and he is more affectionate now! We will have to slowly lean him off dry food
Did you read the link I posted? Do you disagree with it?

For all you know, dry food irritates his digestive system and he purrs because he's uncomfortable after eating it.

I am glad you are taking steps and using decent food to help him lose weright; good for you. Absolutely you don't want to do a drastic weight-loss regimen. But I do find it odd that you asked a question, got answers with links, and appear not to have read or comprehended them....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats