Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 09:45 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,037,076 times

Advertisements

and post a pic of your new boy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 05:27 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,636,001 times
I was wondering-Whenever I leave, should I put him in the bathroom so he won't do anything crazy when I'm not around?

Old 11-20-2011, 05:47 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
He'll go stir-crazy in the bathroom and act up worse. Give him a nice scratcher, some different kinds of toys, and play with him every day, and he'll be fine.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:09 PM

I understand, but if I leave the place for hours, he might start scratching everything cuz I don't know how he is yet. I got a an expensive TV sitting here too so I need to make sure it will remain the same when I get back.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:05 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,995,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolshoi View Post
I understand, but if I leave the place for hours, he might start scratching everything cuz I don't know how he is yet. I got a an expensive TV sitting here too so I need to make sure it will remain the same when I get back.
He's not likely to scratch a TV. Make sure he has one or more scratching posts. A nice cat-tree from the pet store would also help with scratching. It's cruel to lock him in a bathroom for many hours at a time. Please rethink getting a cat if that's what you plan to do. Or adopt one already de-clawed, they're always available.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:40 AM

Hmm, why is it cruel though? In a shelter they sit in a cage for more than many hours. My bathroom is much bigger and has a window so he can have light too.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:43 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
If you're worried about him knocking the tv over, there are straps you can use to attach it to the wall. They're usually used for child-proofing. We thought of doing that and never got around to it, after we got rid of the old picture-tube tv. We've had 2 kittens/young active cats since then and it hasn't been a problem, but I can see where you might want to get one, if it makes you nervous.

Old 11-21-2011, 01:28 PM

438 posts, read 947,143 times
When I decided to keep an indoor cat I was also a little worried about him scratching and knocking over everything. I bought leather furniture because I read cats are less attracted to it than cloth. He has never touched the furniture. I put out plenty of scratch pads and posts and he is crazy about them. Just make sure your kitty has lots of appropriate scratch material and if he looks like he's contemplating going for the furniture, deter him. He'll probably figure it out. My cat was obsessed with my fish tank for awhile, but he's learned that if he messes with it I'm getting the water gun out and unpleasant consequences will take place, so he steers clear now.
Actually the bathroom is the only place he's ever been destructive...he loves toilet paper and if I forget to close the bathroom door before I go I will have a paper strewn everywhere when I get back.
If you cat proof the house, he should be fine.
Keep anything he can shred away from him...don't leave breakable objects where he can knock them over and break them...just common sense stuff.

Old 11-21-2011, 03:52 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,037,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolshoi View Post
Hmm, why is it cruel though? In a shelter they sit in a cage for more than many hours. My bathroom is much bigger and has a window so he can have light too.
what makes you think living in a cage at the shelter isn't cruel? at the shelter, it's an expedience thing, and it is hoped they go to a forever home where they can move around. Would you lock a child in a bathroom while you're gone? just to 'keep it and your things safe' you understand.

Cats are not usually that busy rushing around and clawing that your belongings are in danger. they actually sleep most of the time. If you're worried that he'll be bored and turn to destruction.. get him some toys he can play with as well as a tall scratching post (most are too short!). many people have 2 cats often for that reason: they keep each other company.

Wait and see how he behaves before you decide to lock him in prison just because you need to go to work or shop.

Old 11-21-2011, 04:08 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,624,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Some cats claw furniture; some never do. My present cat wiped out an expensive leather couch. There are tricks like putting something to scratch on or around the furniture. Another is using double sided tape to keep them frrom things they scratch. They hate the sticky tape. That said, I had other cats over the years who hardly ever scratched anything. One got a yucca by scratching the bark; but that's it. The yucca is now four separate plants all bigger than the original so that worked out well.

Declawing is not good. It removes cats' primary defensive equipment. They can't climb and have no claws to discourage an enemy. Even an inside cat needs this. There is apparently a strong chance of pain.

However, if you keep checking with shelters and rescue groups you will find a cat (at least one) who has already been declawed. Just remember when you adopt declawed cats they must stay inside.

I agree, if you've ever been through a cat de-clawing you will swear to never ever do it again. Part of the charm of cats is their affectionate clawing, the other stuff is just plain annoying and exasperating. I'm having a little trouble myself with my adopted cat and his clawing of the door frame. He won't claw the furniture but in the middle of the night he'll claw the door.....I just need a scratching post to solve the problem. I think most cats understand "no"........they can be trained in some ways. If that doesn't work I just spray him with a water bottle......that sends him running!! Nah, j/k but a spray bottle has worked before. It's harmless but you know cats hate water! A good splash from the faucet outta do it!

I'm sorry, I have a twisted sense of humor. I don't really spray my cat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats