Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 09:20 PM

289 posts, read 569,933 times

Advertisements

Hello all. My cat Baby is 9 years old, almost 10. She's been in the house since she was about 3 months old. She was born here and never lived anywhere else with anyone else. In fact I carried her around when she was born and bottle fed her because she was the sickest and smallest of the litter. She was spayed before she was 2 & hasn't really had any problems.

Until about 2 weeks ago. She's stopped using the cat litter box and started using the kitchen floor for the bathroom. Needless to say my mom's not happy & is threatening to toss her outside. I do not want that. I don't think she would survive outside.

Any clues as to what could have caused her to sudden;y stop using the liter box & what to do about it?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 09:32 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
At that age and assuming you've made no changes to litter, box (including moving of box or changes to area surrounding box) or number of cats (or dogs for that matter) in the house, you really want to check out medical issues. Another thing would be that if she's gone all this time with, say, a box that's only on a different floor of the house, and now she's 10, that might not cut it anymore. Suggestion is to have a box on all levels of the house anyway, but now that she's getting older, if the box is where she needs to use stairs to get to it most of the time, now is the time to figure out how to fit in a box on the same level as the kitchen.

Old 12-10-2011, 09:37 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,210,579 times
I seriously vote with Mom on this one.

OUTSIDE!

Old 12-10-2011, 10:03 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,851,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
I seriously vote with Mom on this one.

OUTSIDE!
Seriously?

The vast majority of litter box issues like this are caused by a medical problem, usually an urinary tract infection or crystals. Both are very fixable. This cat needs a vet visit. If it is a urinary tract infection or crystals, this poor cat is in pain and needs treatment, not to be kicked out of the house.

If it is a behavioral problem, there are ways to fix that too. But step one is getting an urinalysis done.

Old 12-11-2011, 01:00 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,185,132 times
I agree. Since the cat used it for years beforehand, there is probably a medical reason for the change. Banishing her to the outdoors would be a terrible thing to do.

Old 12-11-2011, 01:31 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,492,997 times
Litter box avoidance can be due to mannnnny possibilities.
Change in litter.
Change in litter box location.
Another cat "bullying" at the litter box.
Litter boxes not being clean enough.
Not enough litter boxes.
Medical issue (some CAN be fatal)

Lots of helpful info/advice here: Website written by a vet..
The Litter Box From Your Cat's Point of View by Lisa A. Pierson, DVM :: Litter box management, types of cat litter, feline house soiling, inappropriate elimination

Old 12-11-2011, 05:13 AM

2,105 posts, read 3,011,346 times
^^^very good website. Thanks

Old 12-11-2011, 05:42 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerafaith View Post
Hello all. My cat Baby is 9 years old, almost 10. She's been in the house since she was about 3 months old. She was born here and never lived anywhere else with anyone else. In fact I carried her around when she was born and bottle fed her because she was the sickest and smallest of the litter. She was spayed before she was 2 & hasn't really had any problems.

Until about 2 weeks ago. She's stopped using the cat litter box and started using the kitchen floor for the bathroom. Needless to say my mom's not happy & is threatening to toss her outside. I do not want that. I don't think she would survive outside.

Any clues as to what could have caused her to sudden;y stop using the liter box & what to do about it?

Thanks in advance.

Take her to the vet. When a cat stops using it's litter pan, it can mean a UTI. Before you dump your indoor cat, outside, go to the vet.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:59 AM

289 posts, read 569,933 times
Thanks guys for all of your suggestions and the website. I think I may know the reason(s) for her sudden dislike of the litter box. We've actually been changing the litter type quite often here lately. We used the same liter for years when we had multiple cats in the house & then changed a few years ago when she was the only cat in the house. That worked fine but we got another cat (Atlanta) in the house almost 2 years ago and that litter just wasn't cutting it. So we've been searching around for a new litter. I bought a totally new litter a couple of weeks ago.

I got the feline pine scoop clumping liter. It says it's for mustiple cats and is all natural and chemical free so I thought we'd give it a try. I'm thinking that Baby just doesn't like this litter. That and again she's almost 10 and Atlanta is now 2. Atlanta loves to play & run & jump but Baby has never liked those things. So almost everytime Baby will go to use the litter box Atlanta will chase her wanting to play.

So we're going to try another cat liter & stick with it & probably bring in another litter box as well & place it in another part of the house. We live in a single story home so stairs isn't a problem. And she's never had a UTI & in fact she eats food for cats with a history of UTI's. We had another older cat in the house who once had a UTI so we switched their food to a UTI friendly food. When we gave him to my brother I tried to switch Baby's food to something else & she would have none of that. So we switched her back & that's what she's been eating most of her life. So I'm not really worried about a UTI.

And Zembonze ~ Sorry I disagree. I do NOT want to toss her outside. She's been inside since she was 3 months old & she's almost 10 years old now. NO WAY do I want her outside. And Baby agrees. Over the years I have just walked out onto the pourch holding her & she would very quickly jump down & run back inside. So I know she wants nothing to do with outside either.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:58 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,035,160 times
you've likely solved your puzzle, although a checkup wouldn't hurt - just to make sure. When a cat suddenly starts peeing/pooping inappropriately like that, they are trying to tell you something. About all they can do is say 'hey! something's wrong, fix it please.' Some cats don't like Feline Pine because of the strong scent and large 'logs'.

If you're going to try changing litter again, I'd suggest get some of the original that you used to use, and then slowly start mixing in whatever new one you want to switch to. Cats aren't big fans of change usually, so you have to sneak it in to them if it's possible to do. that second litter box is a good idea as well. Technically one should have 1 more box than one has cats. at least 2 boxes for 2 cats if you can though. How would Baby do with a covered box? it might give her more security and privacy from Atlanta when she's busy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats