Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 07:37 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,595,644 times

Advertisements

Good luck today to Oscar!!!!!

xx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 08:01 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,114,938 times
thanks all. I found a ratty t shirt and slept in it last night and will only take it off right as DH goes out the door with Oscar. Instructed DH to INSIST Oscar have it in his kennel the whole time he is there. I've been talking to him non stop and he surely is affectionate and acting hungry but he is NPO since midnight. I fed him at 11 and he promptly barfed it all up. poor guy. I'm gonna miss him so much for the time he will be away.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:14 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,542,179 times
Good luck Oscar! We will be thinking of you. I'm sure they will also perform an ultrasound. That could spot any masses or thickening of the intestines.

And don't fret about anything until you know what is up. So many things can be treated.

I'm glad you provided the T-shirt, it really does help. And you are certainly allowed to miss your boy.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:18 AM

Still thinking of you Oscar! (and you too No Kudzu)

Old 03-13-2012, 11:48 AM

17,639 posts, read 22,653,975 times
Get Well Real Quick Oscar...

Old 03-13-2012, 12:50 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,433,650 times
Get better Oscar! And hang in there, no kudzu. My thoughts are with you both.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:10 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,039,948 times
best of luck with those test! It's probably going to be worse for you then for him They will be aware that he misses his guardians and is unhappy and will coddle him as much as possible. You on the other hand... will miss him terribly until he's home. Strength!

Old 03-13-2012, 06:16 PM

Obsessively checking for updates!

Old 03-13-2012, 06:28 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,114,938 times
Hello friends.

DH is home but Oscar had to spend the night This is the report 2nd hand from DH as best he could remember from vet.

They did blood test plus wanted to actually look at his blood in the microscope. blood ok except for eosinophils which I haven't looked up yet. some kind of white blood cells I think
Ultrasound revealed a thickening of the intestines. Not sure what is causing it. Cancer, parasite, disease?
2 options. First we completely ruled out. surgery to take out pieces of his intestines for tests plus something up his rectum to also get pieces to biopsy. extremely risky, healing from surgery would be compromised because of his weight loss and inability to eat.$2-3K
2nd which we left him there for is endoscopy tomorrow a.m. upper GI, stomach, upper small intestine- much less risk. $1,200. plus whatever today cost.

he is not getting nutrients from his food because of this intestine problem, therefor weight loss.

They said he only complained when they stuck something up his butt- thermometer I think, was affectionate to everybody and very sweet but I am not surprised. This is the cat who runs to see who is at the door, won't leave me alone for 10 minutes every day, lays on top of the keyboard and swings in my undies when I'm on the toilet (TMI?) a very sweet little boy.....

All this to find out what is wrong. I asked if they couldn't just put him on some meds but there are so many possibilities and they have to narrow it down a bit.
I'm trying to be calm and not borrow trouble. We have been extremely lucky with pet health for almost 10 years. Last really sad thing was having to PTS 16 y.o. Bichon who just could not walk, see or hear anymore. In fact neither Oscar or Langley has been to vet except for Oscar's UTI problems last year.

I will let you know more as I learn. You all are so incredibly kind and comforting. I really don't have anybody else to talk to about this. Even DH tried to get me to say what limit I would put on expenses before we even find out what is wrong but I just walked away. How could I not try as much as possible to learn if he can be helped?

Again many thanks.

I miss him like crazy and I'm worried he might be very hungry but they said they would feed him today and not make him go 2 days with no food. Hopefully I will know something tomorrow. I will have to take the girls out of school a bit early to drive to Raleigh to pick him up since DH is going out of town tomorrow for the rest of the week.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:57 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,980,520 times
Hi no kudzu. It sounds like Oscar is in exactly the right place. I know it's so, so hard to have them stay in the hospital. I just wanted to chime in that at the vet school I work at all the patients (who allow it) are given lots of love and TLC. I don't work at NC State but they have an excellent reputation even among vet schools. My last cardiology resident had done her internship there and did not stop raving about how great it was for the whole 3 years we had her!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats