Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 05:38 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,282,976 times

Advertisements

And the other thing with these people waiting once a year is you KNOW they are just getting it done cause they have neglected the animal all year long and now they have a vet appointment and want the animal to look good so the vet doesn't think they are a 'bad owner'.

That is not really true. Graice had gotten caught outside (she is an indoor cat) and although I tried to remove most of the mats , I could not. She isn't neglected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 05:40 PM

And the other thing with these people waiting once a year is you KNOW they are just getting it done cause they have neglected the animal all year long and now they have a vet appointment and want the animal to look good so the vet doesn't think they are a 'bad owner'.

That is not really the case & is actually rather insulting.

Old 09-25-2007, 06:24 PM

251 posts, read 1,312,780 times
Oh yeah, the 'oh they just got out and all this matting happened all at once story.'

I wish I had a dollar for every time I heard that one.

I not only have dealt with more cats over the years then I could ever count but I also owned a couple of cats that would matt up when you looked at them. But they never got shaved because I brush them every day. I know more about the what's, why's and how come's of matting then you could ever fathom. PLEASE do not insult my intelligence.

You specifically state in your first post that you do a yearly grooming. If your cat is such that it needs professional attention, which it obviously does or you wouldn't be going to a groomer in the first place, ONE YEAR IS TOO LONG!

THAT is NEGLECT.

As to the vet reference, that was not directed at you, but at people who do this on a regular basis which us groomers are well aware of. MOST people who come in once a year do this. You say that is 'not really the case'....well...was it or wasn't it? What reason do you have for picking that ONE DAY out of the year for grooming.

Old 09-25-2007, 06:32 PM

And furthermore you state "Well, I don't like it and Gracie looks like a lunatic and she will not even go outside".

So much for her being an indoor cat.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:17 AM

98 posts, read 454,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrogal View Post
LMAO. Oh yes, the yearly vet grooming! Heaven forbid the vet sees what kind of condition you keep your pet in the rest of the year. To hell with what the groomer or your neighbors think of you, but we mustn't let the vet see Fido all matted and caked with feces. (This is not directed at you, nancy thereader).

It's important that pet owner's understand that proper grooming is essential to an animal's health and that mats can be extremely painful, and can cause serious health problems. It is NOT all about aesthetics. Animals easily develop skin problems under those mats because they are so tight against the skin, trapping dirt, dander, and rubbing every time the animal moves. I have seen maggot infestations that start in mats and eat into the animal's body. If you have an animal that requires grooming, it IS indeed neglect not to tend to it.

Astrogal, I agree with you about inexperienced groomers not always knowing when it's best to turn someone away. It took me a long time to be comfortable refusing someone, and even now I will groom some animals out of sympathy or mercy because if I don't, no one will. But rude owners, especially the OAY folks who expect me to fix a year's worth of neglect in 2 hours, and want it on the cheap too - nope. No more.

Old 09-26-2007, 01:28 PM

39 posts, read 193,734 times
I gave my Maine Coon a lions clip at the beginning of a record breaking heat here, (our new air conditioner took over a week to get in and working), and despite my other three cats acting weird towards him the first 3 days, he was fine. I do not and will not ever have my cats go outside to roam so I can' t comment on the OP' s cat being embarrassed to do so.

Now Rocky looked slightly goofy to some household members, (my husband had a holy heart attack ), but that only lasted about a week or two, (the goofy look, not my hubby' s tizzy fit), and then as his fur and fine hairs started to grow back he was adorable and sooooooooo soft. Anyway he seemed much more comfortable and cooled off and I wouldn' t hesitate to do it again. His fur is back to normal length now after 2 1/2 months and you can' t tell he ever had been short haired.

Don' t worry nancy thereader your baby will come through it just fine. As far as People' s Court, well I think people in the US are far too sue happy as it is and unless you "show" your cat, (which I doubt since you allow it outdoors), I really don't see any harm although I do appreciate that you feel you have been fouled. Next time, and I highly suggest you take your cat for grooming much more often, to allievate any misinterpretations by the groomer, have them look over your cat' s mats and tell you if they think it can be groomed without a shave. Also you can tell them that under no circumstances do you want a lions clip and then you will have to take your chances that you will have some "semi-bald" spots for mat removal that is too close to the skin which will stand out against a regular trim.

Communication, communication, communication.

Diana

Old 09-26-2007, 04:26 PM

Thanks, Diana. Gracie's fur does seem to be growing in a little. And, it seems softer.

Old 09-26-2007, 07:41 PM

Schmoo I learned really fast that the ones you feel sorry for are the ones that come back to bite you in the ass! It was hard for me at first, but after a few people went screaming into the streets how I 'butchered' their pooch, I decided no more. My reputation and money loss wasn't worth it. Let them go to a vet and get it done....and pay out the nose.

The people who came to me on a recommendation with special circumstances...adopted from a shelter, family member died....things like that because they were there because they knew they could trust me with their pet....ok....those folks I would do. But I still made them sign a release form.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:28 AM

1,510 posts, read 5,067,803 times
Quote:
and even now I will groom some animals out of sympathy or mercy because if I don't, no one will. But rude owners, especially the OAY folks who expect me to fix a year's worth of neglect in 2 hours, and want it on the cheap too - nope. No more.
Amen to that.

Rep points to astrogal and Schmoo. I completely agree with everything you've both said. You know sometimes I think owners really dont know how much grooming certain pets require, either because they adopted the pet or because they just didnt read up on the breed, but after its been explained to them several times and they do nothing about it, then I think thats when it becomes neglect.

And I especially love it when people say "I cant brush him cause he doesnt like to be brushed." Well if he doenst let YOU do it, how do you expect ME to groom him?!? Seriously people, its all about building a routine.

Old 10-02-2007, 04:45 PM

And furthermore you state "Well, I don't like it and Gracie looks like a lunatic and she will not even go outside".

So much for her being an indoor cat.

That actually was just a figure of speech, obviously. really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats