Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 03:26 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post

I can't decide which to cat to get or to whether to get both. Or do I bring one home (semi-feral) one, get him used to being in our house and then adopt the other.
It's better to adopt them at the same time as they start off on equal footing, neither considering the new home theirs yet. If you wait, you may run into territorial issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 05:26 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,764,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
It's better to adopt them at the same time as they start off on equal footing, neither considering the new home theirs yet. If you wait, you may run into territorial issues.

Yes, I am thinking the same thing.

But I wouldn't dare take in a dog who growls a lot. That is not a good sign to me and I think a dog who growls would mean big trouble with and to the cats. I would much rather prefer sweet mellow dog as opposed to one who growls.

Old 05-19-2012, 06:01 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolipopbubbles View Post
Yes, I am thinking the same thing.

But I wouldn't dare take in a dog who growls a lot. That is not a good sign to me and I think a dog who growls would mean big trouble with and to the cats. I would much rather prefer sweet mellow dog as opposed to one who growls.
I agree about the dog. If this dog is a threat to children, he may also be a threat to cats. It sounds like a tragedy waiting to happen. Your son needs to find a home for this dog with a person who is experienced in training and caring for troubled dogs. For the DOG'S sake.

This dog would not be a good fit with two newly adopted cats (or any cats), in my opinion.

For the kitties, set aside a room for the unsocialized one. After living in a cage for two months, he is going to be very overwhelmed. Prepare the room with a Fort, so he has a place to hide, but you can get to him if you need to. A cat sized cardboard box, turned on it's side, flap hanging down would be ideal.

At least two litter boxes, and cats should always have their own food dishes. A canned diet is best, especially for male cats who can be prone to blockage if fed a dry diet.

Install some feliway diffusers to help with stress and territorial feelings. The cat who Chose you sounds well adjusted and may not have too much trouble settling in, but the other probably will. Cats can take a long long time to adjust to changes. Weeks or months even, but you have all the time in the world with them, so that will be fine.

Remember that smell is everything to a cat and your home still smells of your beloved Angel Gravy. It will take them time to get the place smelling properly of them, to their satisfaction, but the Feliway plug in diffusers can help with that. I'd get the feliway going now, before they come in.

Good luck to all of you, on Tuesday!

Old 05-19-2012, 07:15 AM

2,186 posts, read 4,573,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I agree about the dog. If this dog is a threat to children, he may also be a threat to cats. It sounds like a tragedy waiting to happen. Your son needs to find a home for this dog with a person who is experienced in training and caring for troubled dogs. For the DOG'S sake.

This dog would not be a good fit with two newly adopted cats (or any cats), in my opinion.

For the kitties, set aside a room for the unsocialized one. After living in a cage for two months, he is going to be very overwhelmed. Prepare the room with a Fort, so he has a place to hide, but you can get to him if you need to. A cat sized cardboard box, turned on it's side, flap hanging down would be ideal.

At least two litter boxes, and cats should always have their own food dishes. A canned diet is best, especially for male cats who can be prone to blockage if fed a dry diet.

Install some feliway diffusers to help with stress and territorial feelings. The cat who Chose you sounds well adjusted and may not have too much trouble settling in, but the other probably will. Cats can take a long long time to adjust to changes. Weeks or months even, but you have all the time in the world with them, so that will be fine.

Remember that smell is everything to a cat and your home still smells of your beloved Angel Gravy. It will take them time to get the place smelling properly of them, to their satisfaction, but the Feliway plug in diffusers can help with that. I'd get the feliway going now, before they come in.

Good luck to all of you, on Tuesday!
Exellent post....I agree totally!!!!

Old 05-22-2012, 02:18 AM

4,391 posts, read 9,484,326 times
Just visited my son who has the dog and now he may build a fence and I might only have the dog for a couple months. I am not getting the dog for another month though.
This dog didn't growl once on this trip and he really likes my husband. He had been around our Gravey many times and he would go up and try to sniff him and our Gravey would just walk away.
At least the dog won't be permanent...I hope.

Tomorrow is adoption day and I am nervous. I thought I would start out with having them be in the garage where the litter box and food is and crack open the door which goes from our garage to the inside of our house. They may hide in the garage for a while but they each have their own "special place". When I pick them up I will be with them for the morning and part of the afternoon until my husband gets home and takes over. If it looks like they aren't going to get along I will separate them.

I was at the shelter Friday and we put the tamer one in the cage with the other and all was well. So we shall see.

When in doubt read the TOS.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:39 AM

Ok adoption day was today instead of yesterday. I guess so far so good. Zooboo is such a loving cat and viewed the surroundings and was purring within 10 minutes. PO who we haven't decided if the name will be Checkers or Domino....is hiding under our work bench in the garage and won't come out for nothing. It's been two hours. I decided to let him get used to the area and come out when he feels safe.

Update later on...

Old 05-23-2012, 12:38 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Ok adoption day was today instead of yesterday. I guess so far so good. Zooboo is such a loving cat and viewed the surroundings and was purring within 10 minutes. PO who we haven't decided if the name will be Checkers or Domino....is hiding under our work bench in the garage and won't come out for nothing. It's been two hours. I decided to let him get used to the area and come out when he feels safe.
Yay! Domino is a good name, too.

Let him come out on his own; he'll be fine. When we first brought our Checkers in the house, he climbed up the back of the refrigerator in the basement and as far as we knew, didn't come down from the foundation sill for 4 days. As long as there's food, water and a litter box nearby, I wouldn't worry.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:43 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
Congratulations mom, dad, & kitties...

Old 05-23-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Yay! Domino is a good name, too.

Let him come out on his own; he'll be fine. When we first brought our Checkers in the house, he climbed up the back of the refrigerator in the basement and as far as we knew, didn't come down from the foundation sill for 4 days. As long as there's food, water and a litter box nearby, I wouldn't worry.
He hasn't come out yet but I did put food and water by him and the litter box is close by. Domino fits his personality, so Domino it is. I hope I can hold him before 4 days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Congratulations mom, dad, & kitties...
Thank you!!

Old 05-23-2012, 02:36 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,573,621 times
Default Congratulations!!!!

Quote:

Update later on...

I am delighted to hear of another happy cat family in the making!! I am sure it will work out fine - and I like the names you picked out too! Wishing you a happy evening with your new "kids". You know we'll all be expecting photos soon!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats