Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 07:08 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,030,646 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever used 'Botanical Animal Flower Essences'? and if so, how well did it work for you?

I'm at my wits end (and that's not a far journey ) trying to build up Hannah's 'nerve'. She's just so constantly scared of Canute that she's wary of the other cats, even though she knows them and likes them. I picked up a bottle of Ego Builder today. It says it's for lack of confidence, timidity & low self esteem (works on cats, dogs & horses apparently).

I hope it works. She's got to stop acting like a mouse. I've even tried giving her freeze dried salmon any time Canute is around. Hasn't really made much difference. she's not building up a good association to him.

Crossed fingers this works! I'e tried rescue remedy in the past and it did nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 11:40 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,848,894 times
My honest opinion is that there is no science behind these things. The methodology they claim of extreme dilution makes no logical sense.

However, I don't believe they will harm her.

I think you be better served seeking help from a behaviorist or by reintroducing the cats slowly.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:24 AM

yeah, I know. I'm skeptical as well on homeopathic stuff., but she doesn't know much either way

I've had her separated for about 3 months now! well, separated from Canute - the others do go back all the time for visiting. On rare occasions Canute comes in and I use the opportunity to give Hannah bits of dried salmon (and Canute for behaving well and not attacking her). But it isn't making any difference. She wants out of the back room, Canute will still beat her up given a chance, and so she doesn't trust him and hides. and the more she acts like a mouse, the more Canute treats her like one - even on 10mg of prozac!

I've got to do something to build up Hannah's confidence. I can't let her go back to running for her life from safe spot to safe spot being too terrified to even drink water. That's why I'm trying the flower essences. I mean, 3 months: how much slower re-introducing can I do?!

Old 05-20-2012, 08:43 AM

2,186 posts, read 4,570,934 times
When my husband and I were introducing our broods to one another before we were married (he had 11 and I had 8 fur children) I found the essences in Cat Fancy magazine and ordered a bunch of them with varying names (new kitty, etc). Anyway, they were designed to be put into the water source. We had a couple of the pet water fountains (still do - they are wonderful!). They all smelled like vinegar to me but supposedly the cats were going to drink this and magically become friendly toward each other and stop peeing everywhere. All that happened to us was virtually all the cats stopped drinking the water and heading towards the bathrooms to drink from the toilets. I found out pretty quickly and after thoroughly cleaning out the water fountains, returned to life as normal. I don't know what was in them, or if we just had too many cats for it to work properly, but in my opinion, for us anyway, it was a colossal waste of money. I have had better luck with Feliway.
Personally, I think homeopathic stuff is a wonderful idea, but it doesn't work for me. Good luck!!!

Old 05-20-2012, 09:05 AM

I tried the feliway.. didn't help. Canute jumped up right in front of one of the diffusers to smack her! I'm not putting it in her water, I'm putting drops on crunchy treats that she eats (or maybe straight in her mouth).

Old 05-20-2012, 09:21 AM

2,087 posts, read 4,283,470 times
I've had great success with Homeopet Joint Stress for Saber.

I would use a great deal of caution with any formula that has alcohol or brandy in it.

There is a way to "evaporate" the alcohol prior to each individual dose (Google)

Alcohol is not innocuous just because it's in a "holistic" remedy.

Rescue Remedy didn't do anything for Meeko either.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:34 AM

I just checked: the first ingredient is distilled water, the last is distilled vinegar - no alcohol in this mix, which I agree wouldn't be good for the cats.

Old 05-20-2012, 10:05 AM

2,807 posts, read 7,582,606 times
You could also try herbs, there's a formula I want to try for one of my dogs (it's for both dogs and cats) called "Quiet Tea" by a company called the Honest Kitchen. Here's a link...
Quiet Tea | The Honest Kitchen
I've had good results with their "Perfect Form" supplement, very effective stuff, so am hoping the quiet tea is just as effective!

Old 05-20-2012, 10:28 AM

157 posts, read 587,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
I just checked: the first ingredient is distilled water, the last is distilled vinegar - no alcohol in this mix, which I agree wouldn't be good for the cats.
the vinegar is added as a preservative in place of the alcohol...so this one is safe for kitties.

I've always been very skeptical of homeopathic remedies myself, I've tried a few out of desperation with a spraying cat and found 'sunflower' worked amazingly well. btw I see it can also be useful for 'timid' cats. it does have a brandy infusion so would need to be boiled down....ie: boil some water add 2 tablespoons of the boiled water to a dropper bottle than a few drops of the flower essence, I add just one drop of apple cider vinegar to this also, if Im not going to use it quickly.

Flower Essence Services, Sunflower, Flower Essence, 1 fl oz (30 ml) - iHerb.com

Have you tried Rescue Remedy? this is supposedly also good for terror
situations.

Bach Original Flower Essences, Rescue Remedy Pet, Alcohol-Free Formula, 0.35 fl oz (10 ml) Dropper - iHerb.com

Old 05-20-2012, 10:30 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
yeah, I know. I'm skeptical as well on homeopathic stuff., but she doesn't know much either way

I've got to do something to build up Hannah's confidence. I can't let her go back to running for her life from safe spot to safe spot being too terrified to even drink water. That's why I'm trying the flower essences. I mean, 3 months: how much slower re-introducing can I do?!
I has to be horrible for her to live in constant fear and dread of being attacked. Wouldn't it be for you? I seldom suggest this, but in this case I will, you may want to think about re-homing her where she will be the only cat. Where she can live in peace and comfort instead of fear and dread. Either that, or find Canute a new home. Sometimes, when the problem persists as it is with your two cats, it's the only answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats