Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 03:41 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,608,769 times

Advertisements

What is this? I noticed not every cat does this, and even the cats that do this don't do it all the time. But this is now the 2nd or 3rd cat I've had that while petting, while throw their butt in the air. On top of this, they seem to like this area right before the tail scratched.

Is it just a sensitive area? Or does it have some meaning?

On top of this, even though my cat is fixed, there are times I wonder if he is still being a horndog. There are times it seems like he is trying to "mount" some part of my body, and then he will proceed to lick himself there. It's bugging me out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 07:28 PM

18,056 posts, read 15,645,534 times
My cat does this, as do many cats. A google search quickly netted 2 answers:

1. The behavior harks back to the cats' kitten days when they couldn't pee or poo unless their mother stimulated those actions by licking their urogenital area. Most cat behaviors are kittenish since, once we spay or neuter them, they are in effect perpetual kittens.

2. It's a sexual stimulation thing. When cats mate the male will push on the females back/bottom to get them to put their butt up in the air, arch their back, etc. It's an automatic reaction and response to liking the feeling.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:18 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,583,573 times
My mom's cat does this, too...and then he'll literally stick his big 'ole butt in the petting person's face .
But since he's male, the butt-in-the-face thing is a bit perplexing....

Old 07-10-2012, 08:23 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,889,092 times
Several of our cats have done the high-butt thing. They could be sound asleep and you start petting them at the head and by the time you get to the butt, it's way up in the air. George Carlin actually did part of his act about this phenomenon in the 70s!

Old 07-10-2012, 08:25 PM

414 posts, read 1,094,427 times
My (current) cat doesn't always respond by putting his butt in the air, but he does it fairly regularly. My previous cat on the other hand, she couldn't resist it no matter what her mood or what she was doing. Pet her right at the base of her tail and her tail would go perpendicular to the floor and her hiney would raise right up 100% of the time. It was hilarious.

As for cat rear in the face...I don't know, but my cat does that to me all the time. I've started to think it's because he realizes that my hands are closer to my abdomen, so if I'm laying down and he climbs up on me, he puts his face as close to where he thinks my hands should be so I'll give him chin scratches. Either that or he's very proud of his hindquarters and wants to make sure I see that region regularly.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:38 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Jasper does that all time! Like I want a cat butt in my face! He purrs and kneads at the same time! Kitty a hole breakfast! Nice thing to wake up to in the morning! NOT!

Old 07-11-2012, 02:19 AM

943 posts, read 1,843,947 times
cat sounds anal .......... just joking I notice a lot of cats do it and think its just something that stimulates and feels good to them.. and maybe their way of telling you to keep petting that area.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:34 AM

2,104 posts, read 3,008,476 times
Most of my cats do the same thing. And yes, the spot right at the base of the tail is where they really like to be scratched.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:33 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,153,734 times
I get big purrs and head butts when I'm scratching the base of the tail. They love it, especially Cookie, who will twist her tail into all kinds of interesting formations while I'm scratching her.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:02 AM

575 posts, read 1,995,302 times
This site has some really interesting Why does my cat.... answers CatStuff: Why does a cat do that?

Cats have a lot of nerves running along the spine and there is a gland at the base of the tail called the caudel gland. It's stimulated in females in breeding. Some cats don't mind being petting there - you get the "elevator butt" or chirping or licking, others are very sensitive and will smack at you.

Three of my four seem to like it, one could care less My two females especially like to be pet near the base of the tail on the rump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats