Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2012, 02:19 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,609,285 times

Advertisements

My cat recently knocked over the cat water dispenser while we were away for a few days. Anyone have a suggestion for a large heavy dispenser that she can't knock over?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 04:30 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,571,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
My cat recently knocked over the cat water dispenser while we were away for a few days. Anyone have a suggestion for a large heavy dispenser that she can't knock over?

We have several of the Drinkwell 360 automatic watering bowls in our house (we have 23 cats too) and if it could be knocked over, I'm sure it would have by now!! A couple of the smaller guys like to put their feet on the cone near where the water spouts are and "hold it" while the drink. They hold a gallon of water each and hey are kinda heavy when full. I used to have several heavy ceramic dishes I used for water previously, and those did get knocked over regularly. Your kitty may have run out of water and was "tapping" the bowl to see if any more would magically appear. They really do seem to be mesmerized by the sight and sound of the water - and I like it too!!! I found the best price on Amazon in case you want to check them out. Good luck...

Old 08-02-2012, 05:32 PM

414 posts, read 1,094,657 times
Anything that's got a wide base and isn't too top-heavy should be good. My cat was washing his front paws in his water bowl after getting out of the litter pan--it was really cute, actually. But then he'd subsequently not want to drink from it, so he'd tip it or knock it around until all the water was gone--happened with everything I tried until I got him a kitty drinking fountain with a wide, heavy base. It also filters the water, so I don't think it smelled bad to him anymore. He stopped dipping his paws in the water shortly after that, but still periodically tried to tip the fountain or knock it around, but it was solid enough and heavy enough not to do anything. He's pretty well stopped that habit now.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:33 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,650,216 times
I have a Drinkwell Platnium. It's not super heavy by itself but is when full of water. Plus the base is notably wider than the top so it is not at all top heavy, not even a little bit. A very rough aggressive cat could knock it over still I'm sure, but it would take some doing!

This is a device with a pump though that circulates the water. May or may not be what you're looking for, but it holds more than enough for one cat at least to be gone for a few days. The capacity is around a gallon all told I believe. Many cats will drink right from the stream of water (kind of like drinking from a faucet) once they get used to it.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:48 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,473,568 times
I started placing their water bowl inside of a raised-edge baking pan. They can attempt to knock it over, but the pan prohibits that. The pan has 3" sides and is only 8"x8", square, so their bowl fits right inside. Easy peasy!

Old 08-03-2012, 09:52 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,161,895 times
my cats stopped knocking over the water bowl when i got one of those cat water fountains. one of them still sticks her paw in it, but she doesn't knock it over

Old 08-03-2012, 10:16 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,420,607 times
I use a cat fountain,and haven't had any problems. Before that I was using a big dog water bowl that was wider at the bottom than the top and had a rubber ring around the bottom. My girl had been trying to adjust where the water bowl was all the time, and would slosh water out. (I don't know why she always wanted to move the water bowl but never the food bowl, which wouldn't have made a mess!) That worked too.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:36 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
My male cat -- I also have a female, but I know who the culprit is! -- knocked over one of those big dispensers the other day; it was half full. Little monster ... I guess I'm going to have to keep it completely full from now on. *sigh*

Old 08-03-2012, 11:45 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,987,632 times
My cats wouldn't drink from the water fountain so PetsMart took it back. Made in China, it had a faint but distinct chemical smell. Even the girl working at the store could smell it. They had no fountains made in the USA. The cats now have a heavy tip-proof crock water bowl and I change the water once or twice a day.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:04 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,609,285 times
We have one of those ones right now with like a minature water bottle that you put into the dish so it is top heavy when full. I guess I have to go look at them at PetSmart or some other pet store.

We've decided anytime we are away for two full days or more we will have the pet sitter come and that we will have to put out "extra" water in case something like this happens again. We were gone for almost three full days and have no idea when the water was knocked over so they could have been without it for a while. Never had this problem with our other cats but this new one is really hyper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats