Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 03:48 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,517,565 times

Advertisements

MODS PLEASE LET THIS POST BE ON HERE THE WAY IT IS. I CAN'T FIND A LINK.

There is a facebook page for Caboodle Ranch for those who use facebook and want to read the replies this letter got. So sad and just a shame.

Caboodle Ranch, Inc

3 hours ago

This is Craig, I’m sick of feeling sick. It’s been a living hell for six months. In that period of time, I’ve only been able to see my Tommy and Meetball etc just once. Nobody knows whether Tommy or Meetball or any of the others are still alive. My thoughts are with them at all times. Talk about the ‘’whole thing making you crazy”, I was admitted to ‘the nuthouse’ for a few days...

Last edited by Keeper; 09-02-2012 at 05:26 AM.. Reason: Facebook is copyrighted and you must post a snippet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 07:48 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,133,008 times
I am an animal person and currently have 2 cats which I adopted from rescues but not as kittens. I believe all animals should be treated humanely and with lots of love.
I can understand how your feeling about what has happened to the cats and the man however there is no way on G-ds green earth could this man could have properly cared for 650 cats. He may have given them lots of love but food and medical attention I highly doubt. If he can't come up with $3,500.00 how can he feed 650 cats. He was able to draw a $1,000.00 a month do you believe that would feed and vet 650 cats. I know people collecting $1,000.00 a month Social Security and they can barely feed themselves. I know he loves these cats and wants the best for them but he truly does not have the financial means to take care of them properly.
I think you should read up on animal hoarding and what happens to the animals these people are trying to save.
The last thing is I hate PETA too.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:20 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,100,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ1252 View Post
I am an animal person and currently have 2 cats which I adopted from rescues but not as kittens. I believe all animals should be treated humanely and with lots of love.
I can understand how your feeling about what has happened to the cats and the man however there is no way on G-ds green earth could this man could have properly cared for 650 cats. He may have given them lots of love but food and medical attention I highly doubt. If he can't come up with $3,500.00 how can he feed 650 cats. He was able to draw a $1,000.00 a month do you believe that would feed and vet 650 cats. I know people collecting $1,000.00 a month Social Security and they can barely feed themselves. I know he loves these cats and wants the best for them but he truly does not have the financial means to take care of them properly.
I think you should read up on animal hoarding and what happens to the animals these people are trying to save.
you have expressed what many people are thinking. Love and a big heart are wonderful qualities but people must be realistic about what else is needed. I don't for one minute believe that the folks who worked so hard to get this "Ranch" shut down did it because they hate cats or even this man. From what I have heard (admit I did not see) there were just too many problems and the needs of the animals were not being met. I hope he finds some peace in his life maybe with a pet cat or two but for him to undertake another "rescue" will probably end just as badly as this one did.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:45 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,491,384 times
Same. He sounds well intentioned but, unfortunately, like a hoarder. Who was going to spay and neuter all of these cats and who was going to deliver medical treatment? Sanitary conditions would also be a concern.

It is a sad situation all around but the idea of caring for that many animals properly is infantile at best.

I am an animal welfare person and not a fan of PETA - for a multitude of reasons.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:06 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,429,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post

If anyone out there has land to donate or can donate toward a new Caboodle...hggg
Uh, no.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:18 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,517,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ1252 View Post
As I understand it he had many people donating food,etc and time to come help him. Of course, he didn't do it all on his own. I hope PETA does not find out about the blind cat rescue and all the other rescue people out there. They will shut them down.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:38 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,997,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
As I understand it he had many people donating food,etc and time to come help him. Of course, he didn't do it all on his own. I hope PETA does not find out about the blind cat rescue and all the other rescue people out there. They will shut them down.
He claims he has no income now, yet looks over 62 years of age. Why isn't he collecting Social Security?

What happened to all the buildings that were on the property where he had all the cats? Why isn't he returning there when released?

Old 09-02-2012, 06:22 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,791,992 times
The ranch was already shut down. That's what this whole big bruhaha is about. The property still exists, but it is no longer allowed to function as anything other than a homestead, so far as I know. I'm guessing that the squalor caused by gross neglect of the domecile itself, has resulted in a shut-down of the building. So he wouldn't be allowed to return there to live, because it isn't habitable at the moment.

Remember, he was allowed to draw up to $1000 a month from (somewhere - a foundation?) but he rarely did. He had zero income of his own, and so no money spent on upkeep of his own house, where dozens of those 650 cats lived. Even if he cleaned the litter boxes 6 times a day - imagine the flea infestation, the disease, the rotting food, the maggots wherever any cat went to throw up a hairball in a corner of a closet or under a desk...

When you have only a few cats, it's easy to keep up with the mess. When you have 650 cats, of which more than 25 are living inside your own house, not so easy. Prolong that over a period of years, with zero personal income...

And no, not everyone over 62 can collect social security. People who've never drawn an income, can't collect. You have to actually have contributed INTO the system, in order to get something out of it.

Old 09-02-2012, 04:24 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,834,931 times
It sounds like he could not care for all of those animals. It's probably best they were taken away.

I'm not a fan of PETA, either, but nor am I a fan of cats being kept in bad situations.

Old 09-02-2012, 04:49 PM

7 posts, read 8,267 times
i love my cats too, but i have to agree that one person can not save them all.

out here in Oregon we have a no kill law, but we also have a very good spay and neuter clinics.
we also have a catch and release programs... for all the strays.

it is not the animals fault at all, it is people who are at fault.

owning an animal is like raising a child... it is for the rest of their lifes. (or your, which ever is first)

i too had many cats, i took hold of my neighborhood and caught and had all the cats spayed and neutered.

vet bills are worse then human doctors... just feeding them all would have cost out the....well too much for one man to handle. i know with my 5 cats i have now, i spend over $150.00 a month on food, flee treatments, worming, and more....

i can see and understand if he was to help the cats, hold them until someone who wanted a cat to come get one. like fostering them for a bit, but to harvest 650 cats, by no means is that a reality any person shall take on alone, exspecially if he had no income or very little...

but, bless those who help others....

i just hope that they all survive and he will regain some sore of life and get help for himself.
Attached Thumbnails
I hope PETA and the Haters are proud of themselves now----pictures-055.jpg   I hope PETA and the Haters are proud of themselves now----picture-027.jpg   I hope PETA and the Haters are proud of themselves now----pictures-022.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats