Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 02:23 PM

585 posts, read 2,014,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadowrue View Post
She may be feeling better and wants to play. You said you've been ignoring her. We adopted a foster cat in August and she was quiet for the first week or two. I think everything was new then so she was content. Now she meows whenever she wants to play (which is whenever she's not sleeping). I think she gets bored easily because she's not good at self-entertainment. She will also attack because it's her idea of play, so I never play hands with her. I hope the person who adopts her understands she'll need a high level of playful interaction and can tolerate the meowing when she's bored. It's not much different than entertaining a toddler. We have a spinning bird toy that has been a God-send.
Oh no, I wasn't ignoring her, I was trying to GET her to play/cuddle on my terms (meaning all the time, really) and that's when she seemed to flee... so I flipped it around and applied cat logic to her. You know, the same reason cats are attracted to the ONE person in the room who is allergic or doesn't like cats, because that is the person who won't look them in the eye when the other obnoxious humans are trying to pet and cuddle the cat. She was very affectionate at first but suddenly changed, that's when I changed things up too.

So I started ignoring her unless she approached me first and that seems to be working well. She hasn't been fleeing and yesterday spent the entire day curled up behind me on the couch. If she is on the other side of the room clearly trying to "be invisible," I don't even look at her. But if she comes over to me, I smother her in pets and scratches and she seems to respond really well to that. In fact, she's been pretty clingy since I started giving her space and letting her dictate when and how she gets affection/attention from me.

She is very fearful of toys on a stick so those are out for now but she loves to play with fabric mice - on her own, only, she won't play "fetch" and runs away if I try to play mice with her. So far the best I can do is pick some mice out of the toy box for her, toss them on the floor, go back to what I was doing and let her play by herself. But she does love the laser so we can play that together!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 08:18 PM

585 posts, read 2,014,607 times
Update: my little lady has found her forever home! References pending but I have no doubt given that this woman works with special needs kids and nothing about her potential new mommy sets off red flags after our home visit today. Home visit went wonderfully, the little sweetheart did great with the dog and vice versa. So happy for her, she's going to get spoiled rotten and both potential mommy and cat immediately fell in love.

YAY!!!!! We'll take it slow the next few weeks; I have to put a few more pounds on this skinny street girl and preparations have to be made at her new home (which I'll be helping with) but I feel really really good about this match. I am so happy for both of them, they are clearly meant to be and I just feel honored to have been a small part of it <3

Old 10-13-2012, 10:51 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killabunnies View Post
Update: my little lady has found her forever home! References pending but I have no doubt given that this woman works with special needs kids and nothing about her potential new mommy sets off red flags after our home visit today. Home visit went wonderfully, the little sweetheart did great with the dog and vice versa. So happy for her, she's going to get spoiled rotten and both potential mommy and cat immediately fell in love.

YAY!!!!! We'll take it slow the next few weeks; I have to put a few more pounds on this skinny street girl and preparations have to be made at her new home (which I'll be helping with) but I feel really really good about this match. I am so happy for both of them, they are clearly meant to be and I just feel honored to have been a small part of it <3
Now this post made my day!

Old 10-13-2012, 12:54 PM

2,029 posts, read 4,036,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killabunnies View Post

So glad to hear this news! Thanks for keeping us updated!

Old 10-13-2012, 01:32 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
When Sophie & I moved across the country, it took her almost three weeks to adjust. She literally spent the first three weeks hiding under the bed. I imagine all of the upheaval of the plane ride, noise of the movers & just the whole ordeal of moving affected her a great deal. She has always been shy, but I was very worried about her. In time, she returned to her old affectionate purring self.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 03-28-2014, 04:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,104 times
Hi I am so upset about my female cat when she was neutered simply because she isn't the same cat,she is less playfully doesn't take much notice of me and in general just doesn't really want to know where as before she ran to me when I called her name now she ignores me,less playful and just sleeps she was neutered 8 days ago please any advice .

Old 03-28-2014, 08:26 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,754,293 times
Your cat had a hysterectomy 8 days ago. It's major surgery. While kittens and young cats bounce back very quickly, older cats may take some time.

She may still be in quite a bit of pain. Animals in pain often withdraw from things. Check the incision site to make sure it is healing nicely and that there are no signs of swelling or infection.

Your cat make also be having some difficulty with the anesthesia used. Sometime a little too much can make a cat feel out of things for some time until it fully clears their system.

Give her another week to get over the procedure. If she still then seems withdrawn and out of it, take her back to the vet to see if anything is going wrong. Your cat is probably OK, just needs some more time to
recover.

Old 09-05-2014, 11:01 PM

1 posts, read 943 times
Hello... found stray cat, about 8 months old and pregnant. Tues she was fixed so local pet finder would take her, the unborn kittens removed and she was given a 24 hr pain injection. She has been eating fine, using the litter box, and drinking milk. But, it is now late Friuday nite and still, all she is doing is sleeping. Have no idea her energy level before, so cant compare. Called vet and he told me to wait till Monday. Has anyone experienced this before? Stitches seems Ok

Last edited by Sita123; 09-05-2014 at 11:04 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 09-05-2014, 11:41 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sita123 View Post
Hello... found stray cat, about 8 months old and pregnant. Tues she was fixed so local pet finder would take her, the unborn kittens removed and she was given a 24 hr pain injection. She has been eating fine, using the litter box, and drinking milk. But, it is now late Friuday nite and still, all she is doing is sleeping. Have no idea her energy level before, so cant compare. Called vet and he told me to wait till Monday. Has anyone experienced this before? Stitches seems Ok
Since she's eating fine and using the litter box, I'd be comfortable waiting until Monday.

Old 09-06-2014, 05:59 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sita123 View Post
Congratulations on the rescue! Her little body is just worn out, that's all. As the other poster said, as long as she is eating and eliminating normally, I wouldn't worry. Sleep is what she needs to recover.

Don't give her any more milk. It can give her diarrhea. Give her water and canned cat food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats