Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2012, 09:44 AM

935 posts, read 3,446,660 times

Advertisements

I have used Swheat Scoop for 6 years and have loved it. Over the past few months, I've noticed that the litter gets moldy if I don't scoop it daily. I tend to scoop weekly because I can't flush it (toilet gets clogged). I talked to them and they encouraged me to switch to multi-cat since that has a higher starch content. My theory was that the renal disease was causes his urine to be more watery and the litter wasn't clumping as well. The litter continues to get moldier and moldier with every new bag. I'm wonder if the quality of Swheat Scoop is declining.

Anyone else have this issue?

I'm trying to decide what to switch to, but this will be my last Swheat Scoop purchase. The mold toxins are not good for him to be breathing and we have enough health issues already with the failing kidneys and the herpes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 10:42 AM

2,087 posts, read 4,284,925 times
I don't have an answer to your actual question, I only tried Swheat Scoop once, over a year ago, but your post brings up an interesting issue with plant based litters.

It follows that the same safety issues that plague pet "food" ingredients, like corn, and wheat, could also be a concern with litter, the most common are probably salmonella, atafloxin, but I'm sure there are others.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:30 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,988,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWayISeeThings View Post
I have used Swheat Scoop for 6 years and have loved it. Over the past few months, I've noticed that the litter gets moldy if I don't scoop it daily. I tend to scoop weekly because I can't flush it (toilet gets clogged).
I don't understand why you can't scoop twice daily because you can't flush it?!?!?! I can't flush it either and I still scoop the cat's litterpans twice a day. I tie the clumps in a used plastic Wal*Mart or Kroger grocery bag and put it in the trash that goes out every day.

Quote:
I'm trying to decide what to switch to, but this will be my last Swheat Scoop purchase. The mold toxins are not good for him to be breathing and we have enough health issues already with the failing kidneys and the herpes.
I truly believe a litterpan that's only scooped once a week is just as unhealthy for you or the cat as bacteria and other nasty stuff has days to grow and develop.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:37 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,316,354 times
I also don't understand why you can't scoop twice a day. I scoop twice a day or more (if I'm home), and I also don't flush. I put the clumps in a plastic bag, and throw it in the dumpster.

I've never heard of just scooping weekly. I only have one cat, and if I only scooped once a week, he would not be happy.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:46 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,423,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
I don't understand why you can't scoop twice daily because you can't flush it?!?!?! I can't flush it either and I still scoop the cat's litterpans twice a day. I tie the clumps in a used plastic Wal*Mart or Kroger grocery bag and put it in the trash that goes out every day.

I truly believe a litterpan that's only scooped once a week is just as unhealthy for you or the cat as bacteria and other nasty stuff has days to grow and develop.
I scoop mine whenever he goes and to the same with disposal.

Quote:
I have used Swheat Scoop for 6 years and have loved it. Over the past few months, I've noticed that the litter gets moldy if I don't scoop it daily. I tend to scoop weekly because I can't flush it (toilet gets clogged). I talked to them and they encouraged me to switch to multi-cat since that has a higher starch content. My theory was that the renal disease was causes his urine to be more watery and the litter wasn't clumping as well. The litter continues to get moldier and moldier with every new bag. I'm wonder if the quality of Swheat Scoop is declining.

Anyone else have this issue?

Old 10-19-2012, 04:47 PM

935 posts, read 3,446,660 times
I don't think this was the best place to have posted my question. BTW, did you realize that you can buy boxes that can hold up to 30 pounds of litter? If you've got one of those dinky cats and a dinky little box, of course that wouldn't be a good idea. But I travel and only had a problem with this recently...anyway, why am I trying to justify myself to people who like to criticize strangers. Time to move on.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:47 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,988,840 times
Quote:
I don't think this was the best place to have posted my question. BTW, did you realize that you can buy boxes that can hold up to 30 pounds of litter? If you've got one of those dinky cats and a dinky little box, of course that wouldn't be a good idea. But I travel and only had a problem with this recently...anyway, why am I trying to justify myself to people who like to criticize strangers. Time to move on.
Of course most of us know about large non-dinky boxes for non-dinky cats. I happen to use those very large totes from Wal*Mart for litter boxes. Many others do as well.

You ask a question and post something that really surprises some of us, we reply ... and you take offense. And yes, some people only do scoop only once a week due to laziness (I've known a few of that type in my time) or whatever reason and then wonder why their cats start urinating or defecating on the floors or their carpets or their beds.....

Old 10-19-2012, 07:19 PM

575 posts, read 1,995,929 times
All I can tell you is this:

Keeping wet litter made of wheat or corn around can be dangerous. It grows mycotoxins - specifically aflotoxin and that's very dangerous to your cats health as well as your own.

You other concern with not keeping up with litter box maintenance is the build up ammonia from the urine. Exposure to this leads to respiratory and eye problems as well as skin irritation.

On another note- the reason you can buy litter boxes to hold 3 - 4 inches of litter ( 30 lbs or so) is because some of the litters such a Swheat scoop require such depth to work effectively. This is not so that the box can hold more used litter before cleaning.

Old 10-20-2012, 06:16 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,774,263 times
I'd switch to a clay-based clumping litter, and scoop more frequently. I don't scoop every day either - but I have one cat and three litter boxes for her. If I had just one box I'd probably scoop every day. I usually scoop every other day, once in awhile I skip another day. But no matter how frequently or infrequently, I make sure to scoop on Tuesday night, because Wednesday is when the trash guys come

The litter I use by the way is from BJ's (like Costco), and is unscented, and comes in a 40-pound box for something like $9.99.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats