Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 09:51 AM

2,873 posts, read 5,848,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
Oh, you worked in sales? <ggg> I can really use that advice you gave me! <sss> I may be mistaken, but I got the impression that one of my colony colleagues (one of the nicest, most altruistic, kindest, common sense, conscientious people I have ever had the honor of working with - she is what keeps me going on this discouraging colony and I mean it, her dogged resolve to s/n and care for all in spite of a somewhat not safe (for us I mean) area, a junk filled huge site, etc.) was afraid of me posting it as how you described it, but that was my first impulse, too. In other words, I had the exact same thoughts as you.

My colleague won't give me any problem if I do post her that way. She's easy. But I agree with you.

If you have any suggestions for special sites for special needs kittens/cats for adoption, let me know. But, as I think about it, it really needs to be local local local, i.e. metro nyc.

Thanks for your great post.
Your friend probably gave you that advice to avoid the possibility of a pure impulse rescue. The fear sometimes is that a person won't think things through and will just adopt purely out of a good intentioned but not well-thought notion.

The thing I've found though is that impulse isn't always a bad thing. Asking some common sense questions will weed out anyone who doesn't have the best reasons for wanting to adopt, but you can't weed people out if you don't have a pool of candidates to select from. I'd rather have a few dozen people to choose from after a week of marketing than have to wait half a year for someone to stumble along.

Don't limit yourself too much to local...you can make it clear that to travel the adopter would have to arrange to have her picked up. Jonas's final adopter was located in NC (I"m in NJ) but we made arrangements to meet halfway. If I hadn't been able to do that, she was going to come all the way. Of course local would be ideal and your first choice, but basically you don't want to rule any option out at first. Like I said, candidates first, narrow it down later.

If I get a chance later today I'll see if I can dig up some resources for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 10:24 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
But there is not enough money, not even barely enough, to help save the lives of the healthy animals put to death in shelters in NYC every single day! So, who is going to put up money for feral cat care? I'd like to know that one <s>.

Americans love to spend on their pets but they remain largely indifferent to the dire situation of homeless cats and dogs. Sure there are private shelters, but not nearly enough homes for these animals so applicants are turned away unless it is a kill shelter.

Do you know much about this topic? I don't want to say things you already know.
As for what's going on with homeless animals in NYC... No, I'm not really up-to-date on the situation there since I left there so long ago. I've lost contact with those I knew when I lived here. From links I've followed over the past months, some that led to or from Facebook, I see there is quite a problem there with unwanted and stray cats but didn't delve into the problem very deeply since I no longer live there. Here in TN where I now live, it appears we have the same problems that exist in NYC. Too many people totally indifferent to the suffering of homeless cats and dogs. Too many would wouldn't donate $1 to help relieve the suffering.

But I'm finding we do have many Rescues here who have found thousands of homes for cats and kittens over the years. I found that encouraging.

All too many people here wont spay and neuter and most country people believe cats should be allowed to run free. So we have an excess of cats and a flood of new kittens every spring. Because of predation and starvation in the winter, cats wont survive here without being fed by someone and we do have feral colonies in the towns and cities. The TNR and other kind people feed them. With all the traveling/camping and snow-birding we do, I can't get deeply involved right now other than to help one kitty at a time as they show up in my life.

Old 10-27-2012, 04:05 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,512,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
As for what's going on with homeless animals in NYC... No, I'm not really up-to-date on the situation there since I left there so long ago. I've lost contact with those I knew when I lived here. From links I've followed over the past months, some that led to or from Facebook, I see there is quite a problem there with unwanted and stray cats but didn't delve into the problem very deeply since I no longer live there. Here in TN where I now live, it appears we have the same problems that exist in NYC. Too many people totally indifferent to the suffering of homeless cats and dogs. Too many would wouldn't donate $1 to help relieve the suffering.

But I'm finding we do have many Rescues here who have found thousands of homes for cats and kittens over the years. I found that encouraging.

All too many people here wont spay and neuter and most country people believe cats should be allowed to run free. So we have an excess of cats and a flood of new kittens every spring. Because of predation and starvation in the winter, cats wont survive here without being fed by someone and we do have feral colonies in the towns and cities. The TNR and other kind people feed them. With all the traveling/camping and snow-birding we do, I can't get deeply involved right now other than to help one kitty at a time as they show up in my life.
Thanks for your explanation - I really do appreciate it. Obviously you care or you wouldn't bother to be on this forum. One suggestion that I do have is that, since you are not able to do TNR, you might be able to educate others to the need to spay and neuter, spay and neuter, and how to get it done free or for very little. This is the #1 need!

If you are able, and I don't mean to presume anything, trust me, the TNR folks do all they do out of their own income, savings, whatever, and there is a great need for donations to their efforts. You could choose a cat rescue and ask them if you can donate specifically toward s/n of cats, and also towards what we call "colony management" which means veterinary care for sick ferals (they get treated and go back "home" to a well fed colony, looked over by loving caretaker volunteers, just like a pet cat does, but the costs are enormous. Right now, we are feeding, for example, upwards of 15 of the large 13 oz cans of wet Friskies, plus dry, each and every time we go to our colony. We pay for s/n out of pocket, yes, at a discount, but we pay for the FVRCP shot and anything else that is needed, out of pocket. Try that for a while and you will understand that we donate our own money to this effort, money we could use for other things. So, a donation to a TNR project is a direct donation, no admin costs! to the care of feral cats and kittens.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:15 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times
I put a kitten we found on my Facebook page and within 20 minutes a friend responded that she had been wanting a kitten... so needless to say, it will have a good home next week.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:19 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,512,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
I put a kitten we found on my Facebook page and within 20 minutes a friend responded that she had been wanting a kitten... so needless to say, it will have a good home next week.
Well, Precious has been on my Facebook page for 2+ weeks and no one is responding.

But I rarely use Facebook and have few "friends".

I am so glad for you and that kitten! Happy ending!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats