Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 12:44 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times

Advertisements

I moved into a great house about 6 months ago. Before I moved in, I had a critter guy come and close up as many holes to the outside as he could find, as I am totally grossed out by mice especially. He said he couldn't guarantee that I would never again see a mouse, but 99% of the holes were filled. I understood, as I live on about 1.29 acres with a ton of trees ... which is, maybe ironically, why I bought the house!

Well, yesterday I found a dead mouse in the living room. That part of the house was relatively dark so I didn't see it at first even thought it was near the entrance ... I was turning on a lamp and I saw what looked like string and then I thought, "Ugh, is that a mouse tail?" And yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck, it was.

Several cats had followed me into the living room, but apparently now that the mouse was dead, they didn't have any interest in it. Actually I am very glad about that, because hopefully it means if it happens again, they won't have the urge to "bring mommy a present."

I think it had happened overnight the night before ... something in the hall had been knocked over, and I am surmising that one or more cats chased it from the kitchen through the hall and into the living room.

Needless to say I am totally freaking out, and grossed out. I locked the kitties away in a spare bedroom, then I covered the mouse with a grocery bag, then a large piece of scrap fabric, then went to find my gripper tool so I could stay 3 feet away when picking it up ... but even with all that, it STILL took me an hour to pick the d*** thing up and deposit it into a trash bag because I kept getting grossed out and feeling like I was going to throw up (and then I immediately added a lot more trash on top so I wouldn't take a chance on glancing down and seeing it again).

I am sure all this sounds like an over-reaction, but man, I still feel like vomiting every time I think about it. So one question I have is, is there any way to de-sensitize yourself to things like dead mice? I don't know why I have such a strong reaction, but I can't seem to make it go away, and living where I do, I guess it's not realistic to think I will never see one again.

And BTW, this dead mouse had all its parts so it wasn't even extra-gross and dismembered ... i.e., none of the kitties had eaten any of it. They seem to have just caught it and batted it to death? Ugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 12:53 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
Good kitties!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Really!!

Old 10-21-2012, 01:15 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,876,807 times
I had a horrible mouse problem when I lived in Oklahoma. I am deathly allergic to cats, but my minature dachshunds are excellent mouse catchers! Who knew? They catch em and kill em!

Old 10-21-2012, 01:19 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
I don't remember any of our kitties leaving the mice in the living room, but one time our hamster got out andt the cat brought it to us, in her mouth and killed it on our bed while we were just waking up. Hubby tried to get the little guy out of her mounth but he didn't get it in time. He yelled at the cat so loud, he scared her, so she just dropped the dead hamster on top of the blankets...

Old 10-21-2012, 01:29 PM

lol, you are all SO NOT HELPING!

But I will rep you all anyway for making me smile, or groan, or something!

Old 10-21-2012, 01:37 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I moved into a great house about 6 months ago. Before I moved in, I had a critter guy come and close up as many holes to the outside as he could find, as I am totally grossed out by mice especially. He said he couldn't guarantee that I would never again see a mouse, but 99% of the holes were filled. I understood, as I live on about 1.29 acres with a ton of trees ... which is, maybe ironically, why I bought the house!

Well, yesterday I found a dead mouse in the living room. That part of the house was relatively dark so I didn't see it at first even thought it was near the entrance ... I was turning on a lamp and I saw what looked like string and then I thought, "Ugh, is that a mouse tail?" And yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck, it was.

Several cats had followed me into the living room, but apparently now that the mouse was dead, they didn't have any interest in it. Actually I am very glad about that, because hopefully it means if it happens again, they won't have the urge to "bring mommy a present."

I think it had happened overnight the night before ... something in the hall had been knocked over, and I am surmising that one or more cats chased it from the kitchen through the hall and into the living room.

Needless to say I am totally freaking out, and grossed out. I locked the kitties away in a spare bedroom, then I covered the mouse with a grocery bag, then a large piece of scrap fabric, then went to find my gripper tool so I could stay 3 feet away when picking it up ... but even with all that, it STILL took me an hour to pick the d*** thing up and deposit it into a trash bag because I kept getting grossed out and feeling like I was going to throw up (and then I immediately added a lot more trash on top so I wouldn't take a chance on glancing down and seeing it again).

I am sure all this sounds like an over-reaction, but man, I still feel like vomiting every time I think about it. So one question I have is, is there any way to de-sensitize yourself to things like dead mice? I don't know why I have such a strong reaction, but I can't seem to make it go away, and living where I do, I guess it's not realistic to think I will never see one again.

And BTW, this dead mouse had all its parts so it wasn't even extra-gross and dismembered ... i.e., none of the kitties had eaten any of it. They seem to have just caught it and batted it to death? Ugh.
I sure hope you're career is not in the medical field.

I just pick them up by the tail and wing them out the front door. It's dead. It's a mouse.

I praise my kitty to the stars when he gets one.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-21-2012, 02:15 PM

20yrsinBranson, omg, the mere THOUGHT of doing what you do makes me queasy. But honestly, I wish I were closer to that attitude. Something about mice just creeps me out.

I would have praised the kitty who got it if I knew who it was, but I have no idea. And by the time I found it, I don't think they would have understood what I was praising them for.

And no, I'm not in the medical field!

Old 10-21-2012, 03:25 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Hey, I think that's pretty good. They didn't make too much of a mess, just killed it. LOL

Anyway, if you're really feeling like you don't want to see them there are disposable traps that kill the mouse inside, then you just toss the whole thing away. You have to put them where the cats can't get them, but there may be some likely places.

Amber sometimes knows there are mice here but doesn't usually get a chance to catch them. They tend to stay out of her sight it seems, at least I've never seen one come into the living area. I always trapped them in closets, in odd bits of the basement or in the dropped ceiling that's in the finished part of the basement (yeah, kinda nasty). And for your ew factor: we LIVE trap them, and go release them a few miles away where it's not too near any houses. Yes we cart the live mouse, in a trap, in the car. Ew! Hehe. Funny note: the instructions for the trap actually say to "release where needed", LOL. And one time when we were at the release spot, there was a hawk sitting on the wire. Guess it is "needed" there!

Old 10-21-2012, 03:56 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
I've scooped up so many rodents and rodent parts that I'm kind of desensitized to it, but then again none of those rodents and/or their parts have never been in my house.

Nike said it best: Just do it. Don't think about it, or look at it. Just grab a grocery bag and scoop it up.

So I guess you don't want to hear about when I was a teenager, and the cat was at the door, but I didn't see the chipmunk in her mouth and let her in. My mom saw the chipmunk and freaked, the cat dropped the chipmunk, the chipmunk bolted, the cat bolted after it, and my mom after the cat ... And I was trying to figure out what the heck was going on, because I didn't see any chipmunk!

Old 10-21-2012, 04:59 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post

OP, your post was funny, although it was not meant to be. I am totally freaked out about mice too. I think you only get more used to it if you deal with it all the time, which you do not want. Obviously that mouse got into your house somehow, which means it could happen again. I would set out several mousetraps with peanut butter on them, so that if there are any more, you can hopefully catch them before they breed. I would also call that guy back up that made your home "mouseproof" and have him go over everything and checked again.

I used to live in the woods and we would maybe get 1-3 mice in a year. Well, the owner of the home decided to put in a new heating system. I don't know what they did, but they opened up something because after it was installed we were getting mice ALL the time. It had me so freaked out I about couldn't sleep at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats