Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2014, 11:10 AM

1 posts, read 12,640 times

Advertisements

My cat has FIV. He recently had an upset respitory infection which he took like 3 different antibiotics. Now he is looking much better and feeling better. But still will not eat. We have tried over 5 brands of dry and wet food and have tried human food as well. Tuna, chicken, sardines, ham, even yogurt... The dry food he smells and rubs against it... But he still won't eat it. Any suggestions as to helping me get my cat to eat would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 11:42 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,580,966 times
Call the vet. He's going to need fluids at the very least to prevent dehydration. The vet can also administer an injection to stimulate appetite.

I would also recommend you ask the vet about getting him a Vitamin B-12 shot. This will help his overall condition, and help with appetite.

Antibiotics often cause a cat to lose appetite, but of course this can't go on.

Good luck to your boy.

Old 12-18-2014, 11:42 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,994,516 times
What wet food did you try?

Did you warm it up?

I've had good luck with Sheba turkey or chicken pate warmed for sick kitties.

Don't let kitty go 48 hours without eating!

Perhaps some Hills AD canned available from your vet. It usually works well too... though a little pricey.

Also Beechnut baby food. Beechnut only. Chicken and chicken broth.

Old 12-18-2014, 12:46 PM

2,978 posts, read 3,925,922 times
All good ideas above. I also use Fancy Feast fish flavors when I can't get a cat to eat.

You can also ask your vet about using cypropheptadine (sp). This is an antihistamine with a side effect of increasing appetite. I've used it and it works well.

Old 12-18-2014, 02:16 PM

2,029 posts, read 4,038,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
What wet food did you try?

Did you warm it up?

I've had good luck with Sheba turkey or chicken pate warmed for sick kitties.

Don't let kitty go 48 hours without eating!

Perhaps some Hills AD canned available from your vet. It usually works well too... though a little pricey.

Also Beechnut baby food. Beechnut only. Chicken and chicken broth.
Just curious, why only Beechnut? I've used Gerber's before. They have one with no seasonings, just meat.

Old 12-18-2014, 02:17 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
Nothing pulls at me like someone saying they can't get their cat to eat. That was absolutely the hardest thing I ever went through with a cat, harder than meds even I'd say, even though that is hard too.

Talk to vet, always a good idea. Especially if it's been more than 48 hours, although my vet was not yet worried (or at least put on a calm and unworried demeanor on the phone) and at about 60-70 hours is when she finally ate one time.

Baby food. Someone said Beechnut which I never found I don't think, but Gerber 2nds in the glass jars have some meat-only varieties. At that 60-70 hour point this is what I got Amber to eat. Chicken baby food, I went to where she was sitting with the jar and a spoon, and she finally ate through about half that jar in one sitting by licking off the spoon. It was a start and a great relief. Some cats might like the beef or ham better, for a while I had some good luck with the ham. Obviously this is not ideal for more than a jump start but I can't help but remember the relief I had that day. The food I was feeding could well have been a coincidence, but I'll always associate a return to eating with the baby food.

Things that will make a cat not eat include inability to smell and breathing issues. Make sure the latter is not among your problems. Trouble breathing certainly turned out to be part of the problem for Amber.

If it has been 3 days and you can't get him to eat anything something is probably up more than just finding the perfect food. I had so many cans of so many different kinds of food hanging around over that first period then for weeks after and I now know it was never really the type of food that was the problem. Maybe a small part of the problem, but only a small part.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:19 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,994,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouijeewoman View Post
Just curious, why only Beechnut? I've used Gerber's before. They have one with no seasonings, just meat.
Gerber's contains corn starch as thickener.

Beechnut does not.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:09 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
Quote:

Beechnut does not.
FWIW, it was not on the Gerber label when I bought it last year. If they actually don't have to label it, well, that's just another reason why our food labeling sucks.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:32 PM

2,029 posts, read 4,038,950 times
Quote:

Beechnut does not.

Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
FWIW, it was not on the Gerber label when I bought it last year. If they actually don't have to label it, well, that's just another reason why our food labeling sucks.

I did not see it listed on the jar of Gerber's either. I think they only had 2 ingredients listed, chicken and chicken broth. I'll have to check a jar next time I go food shopping. Years ago, my vet told me to use the baby food for an appetite kick start. She told me to get the lamb, meat only kind. She said lamb was easiest for digestion. I don't even think they make the lamb baby food any more.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:39 AM
KB4

1,032 posts, read 1,641,466 times
Have you tried smearing some food on his paws? He would hopefully eat some when he tries to clean it off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats