Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 04:55 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,061,719 times

Advertisements

I have a 14 or 15 year old torbie (tortoise shell-tabby) and over the past several months she seems to have taken a great interest in water--specifically "drippy water" from faucets. Every time I go to the bathroom she follows me in and hops in the tub, waiting for me to nudge the water spigot so that the water will drip. I do maintain a large bowl of water that I change every two days or so, so there's plenty of water around. (It's right next to the cat kibble.)

A couple years ago one of my cats died at the age of 15 or 16 from kidney failure and he seemed to lap up water constantly and urinate heavily. (The litter box was almost swimming.) My girl's situation doesn't seem to be anywhere near that bad yet, but I'm concerned that her obsession and strong desire to drink "drippy water" from faucets is a sign of the beginning of the end for her. Otherwise she seems to be fine and quite perky for a 14 or 15 year old kitty.

Does it sound like she's in the early stages of kidney failure?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 05:42 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Increased thirst is certainly something to check out. Kidney disease, hyperthyroid, diabetes, I think all of these may sometimes be associated with thirst. My 16-year-old torbie drinks a fair bit it seems; she has hyperthyroid and takes methimazole to control it. (You would likely notice a significant weight loss with hyperthyroid.) She's been drinking running water for several years now on purpose though as I bought her a Drinkwell fountain.

By the way, changing a regular bowl of water every 2 days is a little infrequent. It should be daily at least. You know, Amber's fountain is right next to her food too but I learned recently that many cats don't necessarily want the water right by the food. So that could be something to try. Or try her own fountain if that is possible. But cats are creatures of habits and sometimes almost rituals so the whole process of following you into the bathroom may continue.

The dry food isn't helping as cats naturally would get most of their water from the food itself rather than by drinking. It would be reasonable to consider trying to switch at least some of her intake to a wet food (canned or otherwise) that is mainly meat.

I would take her to the vet with this info (possible increased thirst) and have them do a typical senior blood panel to see what if anything is up. All of the conditions have treatments that can add months or years to her life. Kidney disease does result in dehydration and this can be eased by subcutaneous (sub-q as it is known in shorthand) fluid injections. Kidney disease is typically not noticed until half or more of kidney function is gone, but with the fluid treatment (which will help keep them eating, which can otherwise be a problem) you can add months or even years to her life.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

BTW this web site is good info for kidney disease http://www.felinecrf.org/

Last edited by greg42; 11-27-2012 at 05:52 AM..

Old 11-27-2012, 09:33 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times
For all of her 19 years, Weasie loved to run into the bathroom and hop in the tub as soon as the shower was turned off. Something about the draining water made that H2O better than any other. When her life was nearing its end (liver cancer) part of the pampering that I poured on, so to speak, was to purposely open the bathtub faucet several extra times per day. In she'd scoot to guzzle away. Her kidneys were still A-OK until her very last week when everything started to fail.

Cousins of mine have a cat who lives to gulp down bathtub water as it leaves the faucet. Nothing else will do. Meanwhile, the successors to Weasie are happy enough with tap water in bowls - or from their cooler - but high-tail it outside after a rainstorm to drink their fill from any container they can find that's captured some of what's recently left the sky. They (aged ~3 years and ~8 months) are perfectly healthy.

This is not to say that the OP shouldn't consult with a vet, particularly since the cat involved has newly discovered tub water. I wanted to tell my stories so that there wasn't undue alarm over that development all the same.

Old 12-12-2015, 07:42 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,986,772 times
Time to visit the vet for a senior blood panel to see what's going on.

Old 12-12-2015, 07:56 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
Snickers loves to drink out of drains and faucets, but it's not a new thing - he's been doing it since I got him, and I've had him for going on eight years. He just can't wait for me to get out of the shower, so he can get in and drink out of the drain. Sometimes he'll sit outside the shower stall and whine until I get out, so he can get in.

Old 12-14-2015, 03:31 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,979,764 times
In and of itself, choosing to drink from a dripping faucet, something new after 14 or 15 years, isn't necessarily an indicator of a medical problem - it could be that your kitty just discovered an easier or more fun way to drink. Maybe after 14/15 years she found a way to eureka! drink without water going up her nose. However, as you've experienced in the past and others have mentioned, an obsessiveness with drinking or drinking in large quantities could be a sign of an issue. Ease your mind by taking her to the vet for a check-up.

Old 12-16-2015, 01:54 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
Snickers was an outdoor cat before he moved in with me, and I would see him drinking out of an outside faucet then. I thought it was funny.

Old 12-19-2015, 01:46 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
I have a 14 or 15 year old torbie (tortoise shell-tabby) and over the past several months she seems to have taken a great interest in water--specifically "drippy water" from faucets. Every time I go to the bathroom she follows me in and hops in the tub, waiting for me to nudge the water spigot so that the water will drip. I do maintain a large bowl of water that I change every two days or so, so there's plenty of water around. (It's right next to the cat kibble.)

A couple years ago one of my cats died at the age of 15 or 16 from kidney failure and he seemed to lap up water constantly and urinate heavily. (The litter box was almost swimming.) My girl's situation doesn't seem to be anywhere near that bad yet, but I'm concerned that her obsession and strong desire to drink "drippy water" from faucets is a sign of the beginning of the end for her. Otherwise she seems to be fine and quite perky for a 14 or 15 year old kitty.

Does it sound like she's in the early stages of kidney failure?
Get her to the vet, you can't prevent it but the sooner you treat it the better. You are describing exactly what my cat did. We treated early and she lived a happy life 20 years.

She just passed away 1 week ago. She also had hyperthyroidism and respiratory problems because she has water on the lung. Get low sodium cat food too. It was a fine line to walk.

Old 12-19-2015, 02:23 PM

639 posts, read 579,074 times
When we finally got our tub fixed, the cats were pissed. They would be in there cleaning and drinking all day. I kinda feel bad for doing it.

Old 12-19-2015, 05:06 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times
Please note that this thread was active three years ago and the OP never followed up, at least here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats