Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2012, 01:24 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,487,842 times

Advertisements

Four years ago one of my clients in my neighborhood passed away from cancer, Thelma was 86, her twin sister Velma passed away one week later. Thelma had a small grey cat named Smoky. Smoky was adopted by a family in Arcata, 7 miles away and across the Mad River, but the cat ran away the first night. A nice young couple bought Velmas house about a year ago and I met them a week ago while they were walking their dogs. Mark, one of the owners stopped me today while I was walking my dog and said that a short while ago a sick, deaf and almost hairless grey cat showed up in their yard. They took the ill cat to the shelter. That night he and his spouse Lisa talked about the cat and had heard from their neighbors that Thelma had had a small grey cat that was deaf. He called the shelter and was told that they were going to put the cat down in a few days. He went back to the shelter and rescued the cat. The cat is or was Thelmas deaf grey toothless cat. The cat traveled 7 miles through farm land and crossed an old railroad bridge that has been converted into a foot bridge and returned home to the house he was raised at. He has grown his fur back and is happy being home with his new family. He is a 15 year old cat and was 11 when he ran away from his home in Arcata.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 03:56 PM

2,087 posts, read 4,283,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Four years ago one of my clients in my neighborhood passed away from cancer, Thelma was 86, her twin sister Velma passed away one week later. Thelma had a small grey cat named Smoky. Smoky was adopted by a family in Arcata, 7 miles away and across the Mad River, but the cat ran away the first night. A nice young couple bought Velmas house about a year ago and I met them a week ago while they were walking their dogs. Mark, one of the owners stopped me today while I was walking my dog and said that a short while ago a sick, deaf and almost hairless grey cat showed up in their yard. They took the ill cat to the shelter. That night he and his spouse Lisa talked about the cat and had heard from their neighbors that Thelma had had a small grey cat that was deaf. He called the shelter and was told that they were going to put the cat down in a few days. He went back to the shelter and rescued the cat. The cat is or was Thelmas deaf grey toothless cat. The cat traveled 7 miles through farm land and crossed an old railroad bridge that has been converted into a foot bridge and returned home to the house he was raised at. He has grown his fur back and is happy being home with his new family. He is a 15 year old cat and was 11 when he ran away from his home in Arcata.
There are genuinely some houses that need to be sold with the cat as part of the deal. Too bad reality and money make that impossible.

Old 12-16-2012, 03:59 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leanansidhex View Post
There are genuinely some houses that need to be sold with the cat as part of the deal. Too bad reality and money make that impossible.
The ad needs to say, "Cat for sale. $125,000. Three bedroom, 2 bath home included."

Old 12-16-2012, 11:03 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times
This is why the remains of my gray cat will be buried on my property. Weasie was brought to live with me at the age of approximately four months, and called this place home for the next nineteen years. Her spirit was set free when her physical self died last January. Incidents have demonstrated that it follows me wherever I go. But I think that what's left of her body should be kept on the land she called her territory for practically her entire life and from which countless adventures were launched and concluded.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:27 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
This is why the remains of my gray cat will be buried on my property. Weasie was brought to live with me at the age of approximately four months, and called this place home for the next nineteen years. Her spirit was set free when her physical self died last January. Incidents have demonstrated that it follows me wherever I go. But I think that what's left of her body should be kept on the land she called her territory for practically her entire life and from which countless adventures were launched and concluded.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding something here... she died last January and you haven't buried her yet? I would find a beautiful peaceful spot and lay her remains to rest before the ground freezes.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:13 PM

2,087 posts, read 4,283,470 times
Weasie was cremated, her ashes are in a place of honor in goyguy's house.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:33 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leanansidhex View Post
Weasie was cremated, her ashes are in a place of honor in goyguy's house.

OH,...in that case.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:06 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times
Not to worry! I thought by mentioning "what's left of" it would've communicated the fact that what I have are the so-called cremains. But I can see how (mis)interpretation occurred. Rest assured that Weasie's intact carcass is not stashed in the freezer, stored in the basement, or stuffed.
As I told a neighbor recently, "Rational thought isn't in effect here." The pet crematory included a package of wildflower seeds with the ugly urn, for a memorial garden, so I decided to "plant" everything at the same time. Since I like the idea of "officially" mourning until a year has elapsed, all will go into the ground next spring after the threat of frost is gone. Where lack of rational thought factors in is, nothing prevents my going ahead and interring the ashes/dust next January 14th. But I couldn't wrap my mind around the idea of burying the last of Weasie while it's cold and damp outside. I'll probably go ahead with putting her memorabilia away for permanent safekeeping then though. For the time being all of her photos, birthday-party flyers, missing-pet posters, etc will stay in the makeshift "gallery" in the living room that I set up for the celebration of her life that I hosted last spring.
(Stuff that I had to clear away for the gallery got moved to the top of a dresser in the bedroom. Blaliko and Seteria have made a fine mess by swatting what was in the way down to the floor to free up nap space for themselves. That's just one way they're telling me that life goes on and with them it's a whole new ballgame.)
Attached is a pic of Weasie which was sent to me by the last people she worked a scam on, in November of last year.

Back to the OP. Seems Thelma and Velma were living together? It wasn't 100% clear to me why the long-lost feline went to the home of one when she owned the other.
Attached Thumbnails
Amazing cat story-weez-bnb-nov-2011-b.jpg  

Old 12-17-2012, 06:34 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,487,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Not to worry! I thought by mentioning "what's left of" it would've communicated the fact that what I have are the so-called cremains. But I can see how (mis)interpretation occurred. Rest assured that Weasie's intact carcass is not stashed in the freezer, stored in the basement, or stuffed.
As I told a neighbor recently, "Rational thought isn't in effect here." The pet crematory included a package of wildflower seeds with the ugly urn, for a memorial garden, so I decided to "plant" everything at the same time. Since I like the idea of "officially" mourning until a year has elapsed, all will go into the ground next spring after the threat of frost is gone. Where lack of rational thought factors in is, nothing prevents my going ahead and interring the ashes/dust next January 14th. But I couldn't wrap my mind around the idea of burying the last of Weasie while it's cold and damp outside. I'll probably go ahead with putting her memorabilia away for permanent safekeeping then though. For the time being all of her photos, birthday-party flyers, missing-pet posters, etc will stay in the makeshift "gallery" in the living room that I set up for the celebration of her life that I hosted last spring.
(Stuff that I had to clear away for the gallery got moved to the top of a dresser in the bedroom. Blaliko and Seteria have made a fine mess by swatting what was in the way down to the floor to free up nap space for themselves. That's just one way they're telling me that life goes on and with them it's a whole new ballgame.)
Attached is a pic of Weasie which was sent to me by the last people she worked a scam on, in November of last year.

Back to the OP. Seems Thelma and Velma were living together? It wasn't 100% clear to me why the long-lost feline went to the home of one when she owned the other.
Thelma and Velma both got married in 1952 and their husbands bought homes next to each other. Velma got sick and went into a home a year before Thelma passed away. The cat was taken to a home in Arcata 7 miles from here and ran away the first day, the cat showed up here in McKinleyville after a four year absense. The cat had to cross a river over a foot bridge too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats