Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 01:07 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
My cat whose name is Einstein, has a second bout with rhinosinusitis after being free of it for a year and a half. The second bout was so severe the cat lost its appetite. The vet think it's related to feline herpes. It may be chronic. The vet has the cat on antibiotics, an appetite stimulant and an anti-viral. Has anyone had much successful experience keeping a cat with this condition? If the drugs don't help, it would cost several hundred dollars to explore other areas of treatment and relief.
And so the second round of drugs didn't help much. On the follow up visit, the vet looked into my cat's mouth and thought one of the big upper front teeth needed to go and meant an all day hospitalization. It was projecting out further than the other tooth and may mean infection behind it. While taking out that tooth, with the cat under anesthesia, the vet decided two more teeth had to go. Vet didn't like how the tissue looked by those teeth and so took a biopsy. We will know in a week, if there is a tumor in the roof of his mouth. The fact that the second round of drugs, plus adding the anti-viral didn't help much is not a good sign. An x-ray of his chest was taken. Everything looked normal. Two x-rays of the skull didn't determine anything definite.

Does anyone have experience with cats that had a tumor in the mouth? Meanwhile, I'm hoping my cat's condition quickly gets much better, so when I see the vet calling back, I can have reason to hope that the news is there is no tumor. Below shows how his condition has affected one of his eyes. His nose isn't as runny as it had been.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 02-08-2013 at 01:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 10:50 PM

UPDATE: The vet has concluded my cat has a tumor above the roof of its mouth. The biopsy did not find any tumor, but the vet concluded it was missed. Conclusion was also reached after considering my cat for most of the past two months has had antibiotics and an anti-viral, along with three teeth removed with little help done, especially for his eye. The vet said she can do no more other than get an MRI done to pinpoint the tumor. But I think I've spent enough hundreds already. The vet said putting the cat to sleep was an option, but when? He seems to be in some discomfort, but is still eating some and drinking water. Really, when will I know the right time has come?

Old 02-22-2013, 05:12 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
How did your vet conclude there was a tumor? I think I would get a second opinion before making any decisions.

Regarding the l-lysine, It's available just about anywhere in the human supplement sections, but in tablet form. I found the tablets hard to crush. Thanks to catsmom, I got this on amazon. The dose is 1/4 tsp., mixed into wet food.

Amazon.com: NOW Foods Lysine Powder, 1 Pound: Health & Personal Care

I hope you find that there is no tumor. I think your cat can do well for a good long time yet if that's the case.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:09 AM

2,280 posts, read 4,516,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
How did your vet conclude there was a tumor? I think I would get a second opinion before making any decisions.

Regarding the l-lysine, It's available just about anywhere in the human supplement sections, but in tablet form. I found the tablets hard to crush. Thanks to catsmom, I got this on amazon. The dose is 1/4 tsp., mixed into wet food.

Amazon.com: NOW Foods Lysine Powder, 1 Pound: Health & Personal Care

I hope you find that there is no tumor. I think your cat can do well for a good long time yet if that's the case.

I was going to suggest that if the vet ordered an MRI, then she was simply going to find the location of a tumor that she felts was there. I think she sounds like she has a hunch and probably knows what she is talking about from her training, biopsy result or not. I would not get a second opinion and instead get that MRI. (In theory - it is up to the OP to know what she can afford to do about that. I am not judging the OP. ) The biopsy was done and really the only thing left is an MRI. The next vet is not going to get a different biopsy result, after all.

I do believe in second opinions, but, to be honest, I think it is too soon to do that. Sometimes the only thing that can be done is to pay for an expensive test if one wants to confirm such a diagnosis.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:42 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,710,711 times
Could some tell me the symptoms of rhinosinusitis? I'm wondering if that is what my cat has, and if so, I will try the lysine and stinging nettles. I have also read of stinging nettles being good for allergies. My cat occasionally sneezes, and sometimes Her little nose is stuffed - I can hear it. But not always. Sometimes coughts.

Otherwise she is healthy - clear eyes, eats a lot.

thanks,
ellen

Old 02-23-2013, 11:32 AM

1,738 posts, read 2,078,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenrr View Post
Could some tell me the symptoms of rhinosinusitis? I'm wondering if that is what my cat has, and if so, I will try the lysine and stinging nettles. I have also read of stinging nettles being good for allergies. My cat occasionally sneezes, and sometimes Her little nose is stuffed - I can hear it. But not always. Sometimes coughts.

Otherwise she is healthy - clear eyes, eats a lot.

thanks,
ellen
Yeah, my cat has been having the same symptoms...I thought it was just an allergy to something. he does seem to only sneeze in certain parts of the house, so I'm trying to figure out the cause

Old 02-23-2013, 08:17 PM

Kitty should be taken to the vet if it has a cloudy and/or bloody discharge coming from its nose. Sneezing from time to time isn't a good sign, either. If the discharge is clear, then it is probably an allergy. Here is what my cat doctor has on the subject of chronic rhinosinusitis. It sure isn't good when it's chronic: The Cat Clinic of Stillwater - Chronic Rhinosinusitis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats