Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 05:44 PM

8 posts, read 21,832 times

Advertisements

I had a siamese cat for 14years but sadly it passed away back in April. I grieved for my cat,but now I long for feline companionship once again,and I was looking to get another one,same breed, but it seems like its very hard now a days to find the Traditional Siamese,especially where I live! I tried animal shelters but none of them have full siamese kittens. They have some older ones but at this time I prefer a kitten..I was able to find two breeders, one that comes with papers and the other without papers. One without papers is a 5hour drive away from my home,the other with papers is two hours. Ofcourse I want the closest one, even though its more expensive,but I'am getting a bit nervous and dissapointed.

I contacted the breeder,left them a voicemail,and they got back to me right away.
So I was doing the normal thing of asking questions,but I guess I caught them at a bad time,so they told me they would call me back later. No call back...
I call them back the next day,and we were able to speak longer. I was able to find out from them that I need to put down a deposit(still kinda confused about that),she got alil personal,and the cost of their kittens as well as contract rules. But once again the breeder had to do something so they told me to call them back in an hour if I had anymore questions. I call back cause I still had questions(like their kittens temperment as well as how I leave a deposit),no answer,so leave a voice message, but still no call back...

I don't know,maybe because I'am not telling the breeder straight up that I will buy a cat from them(I would like to once I find out more information in terms of their personalities from their parents), they're not really that interested in me? I don't want to feel like I'am being pushy,but is it okay if I'am the one that keeps contact with this breeder if they do not return the calls?

This is all so new for me...
When I got my cat back in 96,I just made one call,and was able to see the kittens availabe in a week.
I'am already on call 2 with this woman and I have no idea if she wants me to buy from her cattery...
It was the same when I purchased my dog last year.

I guess I just want some people's experience with breeders I guess...even though I dealt with them before,this is just all to new..and if I should keep pushing like this...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 06:15 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times
I'm trying hard not to be snotty, but maybe you should rethink "purchasing" a pet and instead adopt one from your local shelter?

Personality is always a crap shoot. Two of my cats are part Siamese (one looks pure bred), one is a sweetie and VERY vocal, the other one is bratty and not very vocal.

I'm sure others will chime in, but since you don't seem too thrilled with the breeders, why not re-consider a shelter kitty or two?

Old 01-26-2013, 09:00 PM

8 posts, read 21,832 times
No, I understand where you are coming from, and I did look into shelters,petfinder,etc,before, but Im specifically looking for a siamese breed.TBH I don't feel like "purchasing" a pet either and think its ridiculous that some people charge $800 or more just for a pedigree, but in the long run, thats how breeders are and I can't judge them because some are genuine and want to make sure certain cat breeds are maintained,and I blame irresponsible people who can't handle having a pet.
I've been searching a month since my cat passed away on shelter/rescue/websites for a siamese kitten and to no avail I can't find any.

Im still keeping my eyes open with the shelters and such but I guess you can say I'am becoming impatient.
In the future I definitely want to adopt,(pref when my husband and I move out into our own place) and if someone was to offer me a kitten tomorrow, I'd take it,but they're not and I still want a Siamese kitten in the end.

Thanks for not getting snotty.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:28 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Are there any cat shows coming up near you? Most of them are held in the spring or summer (kitten season), and they're a great way to make contact with breeders... sometimes they'll even have kittens for sale right there, so you can go home with one that day. My family (mostly my mother) has owned I think a total of 7-8 purebred Abyssinians over the years, and most of them came from show contacts. I'd also look to see if there's a specifically-Siamese rescue, but since you really want a kitten, there probably won't be much until late spring.

I'm a huge Siamese fan myself, so I totally get it! At the same time, 2/3 of my current cats & my dog are rescues, and I wouldn't trade them for a hundred purebreds. One of the rescued cats is a Siamese x Tortoiseshell mix, and I've had her for over 15 years now... she's actually purring on my lap as I type this. Anyway, good luck with the kitten hunt, and I'm sorry for your loss.

Last edited by gizmo980; 01-26-2013 at 09:39 PM..

Old 01-26-2013, 09:37 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
P.S. The one purebred I currently have is a Blue Persian - and he's kind of a jerk, LOL.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:29 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,318,882 times
Are there any rescue groups in your area? Some of them are breed specific, and you may find a cat/kitten that way, also. Keep searching, and be patient, one will come along.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:34 AM

157 posts, read 587,367 times
can you try running an add in a local newspaper, Vets office and shelter...saying you are looking for a siamese kitten just incase someone has recently adopted one and are moving, developed allergies or some other issue and have to give theirs up....

also finding breeders through cat shows is an excellent idea too, many breeders have kittens born that are deemed not sellable b/c of incorrect color/body confirmation. they will often sell at a very low price or even give away.
Just wishing you tons of luck♥

Old 01-27-2013, 07:02 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,126,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperm0on View Post
I had a siamese cat for 14years but sadly it passed away back in April. I grieved for my cat,but now I long for feline companionship once again,and I was looking to get another one,same breed, but it seems like its very hard now a days to find the Traditional Siamese,especially where I live! I tried animal shelters but none of them have full siamese kittens. They have some older ones but at this time I prefer a kitten..I was able to find two breeders, one that comes with papers and the other without papers. One without papers is a 5hour drive away from my home,the other with papers is two hours. Ofcourse I want the closest one, even though its more expensive,but I'am getting a bit nervous and dissapointed.

I contacted the breeder,left them a voicemail,and they got back to me right away.
So I was doing the normal thing of asking questions,but I guess I caught them at a bad time,so they told me they would call me back later. No call back...
I call them back the next day,and we were able to speak longer. I was able to find out from them that I need to put down a deposit(still kinda confused about that),she got alil personal,and the cost of their kittens as well as contract rules. But once again the breeder had to do something so they told me to call them back in an hour if I had anymore questions. I call back cause I still had questions(like their kittens temperment as well as how I leave a deposit),no answer,so leave a voice message, but still no call back...

I don't know,maybe because I'am not telling the breeder straight up that I will buy a cat from them(I would like to once I find out more information in terms of their personalities from their parents), they're not really that interested in me? I don't want to feel like I'am being pushy,but is it okay if I'am the one that keeps contact with this breeder if they do not return the calls?

This is all so new for me...
When I got my cat back in 96,I just made one call,and was able to see the kittens availabe in a week.
I'am already on call 2 with this woman and I have no idea if she wants me to buy from her cattery...
It was the same when I purchased my dog last year.

I guess I just want some people's experience with breeders I guess...even though I dealt with them before,this is just all to new..and if I should keep pushing like this...
TCA, Inc.'s Traditional Cat Breeders Directory Check these people out. Maybe one will work for you or can refer you to someone.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:24 AM

575 posts, read 1,996,097 times
I have several pedigree cats myself - bought from breeders. It can be a harrowing experience. I'll tell you that this takes a LOT of time and research and you should be willing to put in the time and research or not get one. DO NOT just get a kitten from a breeder because 1 they are close or 2 they have kittens now. This is a pet you will have for hopefully nearly 20 years - you want the right cat from the right breeder. Take the time to make sure that happens. Siamese breeder are fairly abundant so you shouldn't have too much trouble finding one fairly close - however the right breeder for you may be in another state. Go to the CFA website, find a Siamese group on Facebook and start looking and asking for referrals.

It was about a year with my last cat from the time I started looking into breeders until I had my kitten. It doesn't always take that long. I'm just saying you shouldn't expect to find a breeder and have a kitten in a matter of 2 weeks.

There are several things you should be looking for to help you pick out a reputable breeder. Then you'll just know which one is the best fit for you. Sometimes a good breeder just doesn't give you good vibes - that's okay - there will be another one. If a breeder is giving you a bad feeling - always run. They should be putting their best foot forward. HOWEVER don't be fooled by what can easily be faked either. ANYONE can have a great website, and make up lies meanwhile they have mutt cats that live in cages. YOU MUST do good back ground work. Find your own references, not just the people they give you to call.

I'd be happy to help you out as I have done this a few times getting cats from out of state. IF a pedigree cat is what you want then you should have it. I don't disagree with rescue cats - I have one of those too! But don't let people make you feel bad about it!

Old 01-27-2013, 11:29 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,015,863 times
I would stay away from the breeder who is "too busy" to stay on the phone or call you back. no breeder worth their salt would act like that. find a good breeder even if you have to travel to do so.

here is a list from the CFA
CFA Cat Breeder Referral Search Results
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats