Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 09:10 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times

Advertisements

Prayers needed for my Marshmallow, my big Maine Coon Mix cat. He's dying.

He was fine until a few days ago, or at least seemed fine. he appeared to be losing weight, but nothing alarming. then, just a few days ago, he started acting lethargic, then vomiting, today he was acting really "out of it". I didn't have a car, my car was in the shop, so I had to wait for dh to come home. We took him to an ER vet clinic, they said he's in a diabetic coma, and has kidney involvement. We left him there tonight, they are giving him IV fluids, and insulin. I doubt he will make it.

I said goodbye to him there, he barely seemed to know me. he hardly responded, then, he seemed to recognize my voice and perked up a little. he tried to purr. I could tell, he's dying.

We really don't know how old he is. we adopted him from a shelter ~ 3 years ago. They said he was 9 yrs at the time, but records conflicted. Another record said he was 18! I did manage to contact the owner, she hedged on his age. She was an elderly lady, 92, who had to go into a nursing home. At least she could be at peace for her beloved kitty. she had to give him up to a shelter, he was there 3 weeks before I found him. Nobody wanted him, he was a grown cat, everyone wants a kitten. I just had to adopt him, he seemed so sweet. He perked up when he saw my cane, apparently his former owner used a cane and he recognized that. It was love at first sight! He's been a beautiful, big sweet baby. He just went downhill so fast!

The vet said she was doubtful if he would survive, tonight will tell. We may have to make the difficult decision to set him free tomorrow, depending on how things go. he's had a long, happy life, I don't want to prolong misery for him, if he can't be helped.

Prayers for my baby
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 09:25 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,995,469 times
How sad. I hope he makes it. I also hope they have all-night techs there as that's usually when a cat passes away... during the night when-and-if something happens and no one is there to save them.

When my cats reach their later years we plan to have them checked thoroughly by the vet at least once a year. This way we hope to catch anything early enough to treat. Since I worked as a tech for years I will most likely catch things early, but the vet has to do the bloodwork.

I'm just curious... diabetes? Was he on a dry kibble diet?

Old 03-07-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
How sad. I hope he makes it. I also hope they have all-night techs there as that's usually when a cat passes away... during the night when-and-if something happens and no one is there to save them.

When my cats reach their later years we plan to have them checked thoroughly by the vet at least once a year. This way we hope to catch anything early enough to treat. Since I worked as a tech for years I will most likely catch things early, but the vet has to do the bloodwork.

I'm just curious... diabetes? Was he on a dry kibble diet?

He was on a combination of canned little friskies and dry kibble. He was on Blue Mountain, but all my cats seemed to be losing weight, so, we switched to IAMS just about a week ago. That's when marshmallow started acting sick, but the other cats appear fine. Like I said, we just didn't know how old he really was. His former owner I believe "hedged" on his age, probably thinking it would help him get adopted. I already had him adopted when I found the former owner, she was delighted he had a new home. I asked his age, she said oh, about 3. she was obviously afraid I wouldn't want him if I thought he was old, but I already had him and was committed to providing a forever home. Its hard to trust, I know.

They said his blood sugar was 398, and his uring glucose over 1000, plus his kidney functions were shutting down. Its an all-night clinic, they should have techs monitoring him, we can jusat wait and see....

Old 03-07-2013, 09:57 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,995,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
He was on a combination of canned little friskies and dry kibble. He was on Blue Mountain, but all my cats seemed to be losing weight, so, we switched to IAMS just about a week ago.
IAMS canned? Just so you know, IAMS dry is loaded with carbs/sugars/starch. It should not be fed to cats which are obligate carnivores. Any of these dry kibbles loaded with carbs can seriously harm a diabetic cat if the owner doesn't know the cat has the disease.

Quote:
That's when marshmallow started acting sick, but the other cats appear fine. Like I said, we just didn't know how old he really was. His former owner I believe "hedged" on his age, probably thinking it would help him get adopted. I already had him adopted when I found the former owner, she was delighted he had a new home. I asked his age, she said oh, about 3. she was obviously afraid I wouldn't want him if I thought he was old, but I already had him and was committed to providing a forever home. Its hard to trust, I know.

They said his blood sugar was 398, and his uring glucose over 1000, plus his kidney functions were shutting down. Its an all-night clinic, they should have techs monitoring him, we can jusat wait and see....
With values that high he had to be on, or mostly on, a dry kibble diet. I hope they can save him. I'm glad techs are there all night long. Many Animal Hosp's do not have night techs. Pets should not be left overnight in such places.

Please stop feeding your other cats kibble. See Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health for more information.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
IAMS canned? Just so you know, IAMS dry is loaded with carbs/sugars/starch. It should not be fed to cats which are obligate carnivores. Any of these dry kibbles loaded with carbs can seriously harm a diabetic cat if the owner doesn't know the cat has the disease.

With values that high he had to be on, or mostly on, a dry kibble diet. I hope they can save him. I'm glad techs are there all night long. Many Animal Hosp's do not have night techs. Pets should not be left overnight in such places.

Please stop feeding your other cats kibble. See Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health for more information.
No, it was IAMS dry. We thought we were doing the best for them. I don't know if he ate mostly dry or canned food, they all eat from the same bowl. I never could understand why leave an animal in a pet hospital when there's no one there! He's at a leading vet school, Texas A&M, so he's getting the best care we can find.

I'm taking that dry kibble away right now! Thanks for the quote....

Old 03-07-2013, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
He was on a combination of canned little friskies and dry kibble. He was on Blue Mountain, but all my cats seemed to be losing weight, so, we switched to IAMS just about a week ago. That's when marshmallow started acting sick, but the other cats appear fine. Like I said, we just didn't know how old he really was. His former owner I believe "hedged" on his age, probably thinking it would help him get adopted. I already had him adopted when I found the former owner, she was delighted he had a new home. I asked his age, she said oh, about 3. she was obviously afraid I wouldn't want him if I thought he was old, but I already had him and was committed to providing a forever home. Its hard to trust, I know.

OOPS....I meant to say he was on Blue Buffalo

regardless, Marshmallow's symptoms started with introducing IAMS.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:02 AM

Marshmallow is now with the angels.

We were called back to the vet clinic about midnight, he was declining. In addition to diabetes and kidney problems, he also had pancreatitis. We could have kept him alive for several more days, but at what cost---emotionally, financially, and physically. We opted to have him PTS.

When we got to the clinic he was still able to recognize us. He opened his eyes, but the inner lids kept closing. He recognized us, and as I petted him he purred. We stayed with him about an hour, while he slowly declined. I asked him what he wanted, he stopped purring and heaved a deep sigh. I knew he wanted to go. It was better like that, while he was still hooked up to the IV, just to go ahead and do it. He died in my arms.

I will try to post pictures tomorrow

Old 03-08-2013, 04:27 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
I'm so very sorry, Marylee. I'm glad you were able to be there with him, though. Thank you for taking in a senior kitty and giving him love and care in his final years.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:14 AM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
I am so sorry but you gave him a very loving home during his last years.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:31 AM

2,186 posts, read 4,574,372 times
Marylee, I am so very sorry about your boy - and I know the pain you are in right now. I am happy that you two found each other - he needed you so much and you did right by him - all the way to the end. My heart breaks for you today, but rejoices for him because he is no longer suffering. You said he was with the angels now - I think he has been with one all along. You take care of yourself and know that Marshmallow will be waiting for you. I am sending you a hug...(((hug)))).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats