Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 08:44 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,832,767 times

Advertisements

PUH-LEEZE do NOT bring Easter lilies into your home. They're poisonous to cats. Last year someone in this forum tragically had to find this out the hard way. Buy silk or plastic ones if you still want to have the beauty of the flowers around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 10:45 PM

970 posts, read 2,213,291 times
I have a very strict "no lilies in the house ever" rule. One of my cats has the IQ of a rock and will nibble on anything vaguely edible.

It's also good to mention that greenish hay stuff that comes in Easter baskets. While not as terrible as lilies, you definitely have to make sure curious cats avoid playing with and ingesting that stuff.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:20 AM

20,390 posts, read 14,656,708 times
I'd go with the paper shred for baskets, they have that in every store now. The plastic strands are simply awful. And I'm sure they can do more harm to a cat's insides than bits of paper.

I'm fortunate in that I hate plants anyways. I can't keep houseplants alive, so I got rid of the ones that came with the house and don't bring any in! But yeah, Easter lilies, and poinsettias are notorious for being toxic too right?

EDIT: We also gotta watch the chocolate! I'm forever policing my kids from leaving people-food out that the cat could get into, and shouldn't.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:53 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
I found edible Easter basket grass in one of the chain drugstores. It's made of potato starch and corn starch.

While not good stuff per se, it won't poison or obstructed a kitty.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:01 PM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
No in-door plants here, no in-door Easter baskets. How would the bunny get in anyway?

Old 03-25-2013, 01:46 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,065,538 times
and remember to put the Peeps out so the cats can have some fun with them.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:10 PM

20,390 posts, read 14,656,708 times
Psh, Peeps...Peeps are best when MICROWAVED.

As for the cat, I'll make sure he celebrates Easter with a can of food containing rabbit meat. Rabbit from China, just like all the plastic Easter eggs are...

lol

Old 03-25-2013, 02:32 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,451,713 times
When I read the thread title...........I was thinking about the bad idea of people buying pet rabbits for their kids, at Easter, not lilies ( grin ). Same thing goes for baby chicks. Yes some people are that dumb.

Thanks for the information about the toxic nature of that flower type. I didn`t know that fact. My Mother hated them, said it all ways reminded her of funerals.

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:04 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,573,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Psh, Peeps...Peeps are best when MICROWAVED.

As for the cat, I'll make sure he celebrates Easter with a can of food containing rabbit meat. Rabbit from China, just like all the plastic Easter eggs are...

lol

hehe...this is for you!!!! Please just click on the link Peep Microwave Disaster - YouTube

Old 03-25-2013, 03:07 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,573,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
PUH-LEEZE do NOT bring Easter lilies into your home. They're poisonous to cats. Last year someone in this forum tragically had to find this out the hard way. Buy silk or plastic ones if you still want to have the beauty of the flowers around.

Thank you for the reminder, and a very Happy Easter to you and your girls. I never keep any live plants in the house, EVER, and since we have no human kids, Easter baskets and the plastic grass aren't a problem here. I would think the plastic grass have about the same result as ribbon off a package, if eaten by a cat. Can cut and twist in the bowel and cause horrific problems.

Really hard to anticipate Easter this year since we just got another couple inches of snow again yesterday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats