Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 05:11 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times

Advertisements

The Holy Bible of Internet Cat Info (Lisa Pierson's website) has that chart, but it's 3 years outdated and doesn't even list the varieties I need. Plus it doesn't mention this company's reputation.

My cat's on an elimination diet to rule out allergies. So no beef, chicken, or fish. Nature's Variety canned foods have rabbit, duck, lamb - they also have venison but the store where I get it doesn't carry it.

I will -not- be buying over the internet.

The limited ingredients variety (which isn't on Pierson's chart) has the duck and lamb, but not the rabbit. The rabbit has bits of pea and carrot which I already know isn't going to be good for the cat. But my cat doesn't like carrot or pea, and just nudges it to the side with her nose and refuses to eat those little bits anyway so it doesn't matter at all (you can see the split peas and little carrot cubes).

Plus, she's become very thin, avoiding a lot of her previous choices (mostly canned, mostly Fancy Feast Tender Classics, also Weruva and BFF and Instinct Raw and Stella and Chewy freezedried raw, rehydrated).

So at this point, if I can get her to just eat consistently, and get the blood out of her stool, then I can work on the quality of foods later. I rejected the Dr's recommendation for Hills Z/d because a) it's overpriced crap and b) pretty sure my cat will hate it and then I end up throwing all that overpriced crap in the trash.

So I'm looking for opinions from people who have used Nature's Variety Instinct canned cat food.

I'd also like opinions about the same brand's "Pride" varieties. The rabbit in particular, there are two of them: ritzy rabbit and rock star's rabbit.

I'd tried Before Grain and she doesn't like it...plus the store here only has chicken, beef, and fish varieties, all of which I have to reject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 07:25 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,924,896 times
Our gang likes the NV Instinct, pretty much any of the flavors.

Have you considered Evo? They have a venison, rabbit, and duck varieties. Our gang particularly likes the venison Evo.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:40 AM

I'll take a look at the ingredients today - on the way to the optician now, and it's right next door to the pet food store! Thanks for the recommendation!

Old 04-03-2015, 12:50 PM

20,393 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Nimbus used to love NVI Rabbit...but not in recent months. Occasionally I buy a single can to see if he's interested, but still no. He did not like the Rockstar Rabbit either. But you know...cats. The word "finicky" was pretty much invented for them, I believe.

Old 04-04-2015, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Nimbus used to love NVI Rabbit...but not in recent months. Occasionally I buy a single can to see if he's interested, but still no. He did not like the Rockstar Rabbit either. But you know...cats. The word "finicky" was pretty much invented for them, I believe.
This has been my experience so far. It's frustrating! These foods aren't cheap. Spending $2 for a can that she'll only nibble a bite of - and then throwing the rest away - insane. What's worse is spending $1.79 for a can that she loves - so you buy a few of them - and have to bring them all back to the store because she's stopped liking them. Rinse, repeat - and you can see why she's lost 4 pounds in the last 10 months.

She LOVES kibble. But I can't give her more than a teaspoon of it in any given day, because any more than that she just pukes up undigested. And now with this elimination diet I can't even give her a teaspoon of it; they all have beef, chicken, or fish of some kind in the ingredients.

Old 04-04-2015, 08:31 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
Have you been warming up the food to bring out the "aroma"?

Old 04-04-2015, 10:51 AM

No, but it wouldn't make any difference, if she already doesn't like the smell of something, making it smell stronger isn't going to make her like it any more.

Old 04-04-2015, 09:07 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
What came first - not eating her regular food... Fancy feast, etc.

or blood in the stool?

Old 04-05-2015, 11:39 AM

Her appetite had been decreasing for the past year. Rejecting foods she usually loved, not interested in new foods. She started just "nibbling." The blood in the stool was sudden, happened last week. It was usually dark, thin, and compact - now it was pale, fairly loose (not liquid, more - paste-ish), and had clumps of blood in it. It was like that for 2 days, and it hasn't been like that since.

I'm not looking for a diagnosis anyway. I'm trying the only thing I'm willing to try at this point, which is avoid cow, chicken, and fish for a few weeks. If it improves things, I'll re-introduce her to one of those three at a time. If there's still no reaction, I'll know it was just some kind of illness, a temporary inflammation, and problem solved. If there's a reaction, I'll know it was an allergy to whatever I recently re-introduced, take it away from her again, and problem solved.

Old 04-05-2015, 12:02 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,545,426 times
Just tossing this out there- after my cat developed severe GI problems several years ago, I went through a similar process. I didn't understand it back then, but he could tolerate turkey, but not chicken. I later learned that turkey is leaner. If I feed him chicken, he will puke it up pretty quickly. He can eat turkey and keep it down 95% of the time.

Good luck in your quest!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats