Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 07:09 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,008,263 times

Advertisements

Why do people get cats when they don't care for them very much? Why take on the extra time and expense for no reason? Just a rhetorical question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 08:50 AM

20,393 posts, read 14,661,936 times
It's really sad for those of us that love cats.

When I was happily announcing to everyone I knew that I got a cat, I had more than one person seriously ask me, "On purpose?" And many were shocked that I paid for him. That anyone would get a cat other than just because someone foisted an unwanted one off on them, or a stray decided to make itself at home. Around here with all the "dog people" it's almost like cats are one step up from varmints...and in the case of ferals, not even that. This is what contributes to people like this OP, who care more that this animal smells funny than the fact that she's not spayed and could now be pregnant...as well as people who will put a cat down rather than pay a vet bill for practically anything, people who don't care what they feed a cat or whether it has a properly cleaned litterbox or if it's in pain because its teeth are rotting out or if it goes outside and gets hit by a car or eaten by something. "It's only a cat."

Old 04-16-2013, 10:51 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
This so true. My heart sank when I read her post.

Quote:
When I was happily announcing to everyone I knew that I got a cat, I had more than one person seriously ask me, "On purpose?" And many were shocked that I paid for him. That anyone would get a cat other than just because someone foisted an unwanted one off on them, or a stray decided to make itself at home. Around here with all the "dog people" it's almost like cats are one step up from varmints...and in the case of ferals, not even that. This is what contributes to people like this OP, who care more that this animal smells funny than the fact that she's not spayed and could now be pregnant...as well as people who will put a cat down rather than pay a vet bill for practically anything, people who don't care what they feed a cat or whether it has a properly cleaned litterbox or if it's in pain because its teeth are rotting out or if it goes outside and gets hit by a car or eaten by something. "It's only a cat."

Even if spaying a cat cost $5 there are those who wouldn't "bother" to take their cat in and get her fixed. It's just too much "trouble" for them. And I wont get started on those who want their children to see the miracle of birth.....

Old 04-16-2013, 03:53 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post

I know, right? I'm more of a dog person than a cat person but I don't get how these complex, sweet, pretty and fascinating animals are so often viewed as disposable. Or less deserving of basic care and compassion than a dog. Or a car...

That the OP "chased off" an obviously sick and friendly stray cat, and is apparently only concerned about how her own cat smells rather than its health and welfare...well, I have no words. None that I can type here anyway.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:01 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
chiroptera, I think she IS concerned about her cat, that's why she's asking if we think her cat will be ok. That's why she wants to know if he could get something from the feral one...OP, if your cats a female the one visiting her was definitely a male...and they sure can stink. A little baby powder won't hurt her on the stinky parts. We had to do that with a dog that took to rolling in bear ****..By now your lil kitty will most assuredly be pregnant, so I hope you're willing to make sure she eats well, and keep the males away, so she can hopefully have a healthy litter....now you gotta start thinking about where those little ones'll be going...real soon...if you could afford it you otta take your cat in a.s.p and get her spayed...goodluck, take care of your sweetheart and be compassionate to the ferals.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:04 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Oh, and Catkwe...if the feral cat were dying he wouldn't do it in your house...he'd go somewhere he knows and die there.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:52 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catkwe View Post
We noticed that the cat was gone, and so we checked outside. I found her she was close to the air conditioning thing outside together with a big black stray cat with flabby patches of skin/fur hanging from its sides.

When I opened the back door and made some noise to get her attention, she came inside but the black cat tried to follow her in, and I closed the door before it could get in.

I noticed that our cat smells really bad. I was worried she might have caught some disease from the stray cat. We gave her a bath and the smell seems to be ok now.

Could it have caught some disease? Could it be dangerous for humans?

And now we can't find her again. My guess was that maybe she's sick and went hid itself in some hidden place in the house to die or somehow went out again which would be puzzling because no one recalls opening the door.

We couldn't find her anywhere in the house. I'm worried that if she's gone like this it might mean she might die and spread the whole house with rotting smell?

Is it safe to put some baby powder on her if we can still smell bad smells from her if we find her again?
Anytime your cat is outside and around strays it risks getting something. I doubt it is anything a human will get. I would wash the cat good and keep it inside. The stray could have been sprayed by a skunk at sometime or been eating on or rolling around in something dead outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats