Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 08:38 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
Every single one of our pets could have lived longer, or better lives, had we known then what we know now.

I no longer declaw.
I no longer let them outside.
I buy better food.
I bought a baby scale and weigh them once a month.
I refuse unnecessary vaccinations.
I spend $$ on basic tests instead of toys.
I watch for physical and behavioral changes and follow up with the vet.
I learn as much as possible about their conditions and diseases.
I play with them more often.
I tell them I love them more often.

I know they won't live forever, but I am determined to give them a healthy happy life.

Reading through what other have experienced helps arm me with what I need to make it happen.

What a wonderful legacy for Marylee's beloved Marshmallow.
All of the above ^^^^^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 10:57 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Every single one of our pets could have lived longer, or better lives, had we known then what we know now.

I no longer declaw.
I buy better food.

I know they won't live forever, but I am determined to give them a healthy happy life.

Reading through what other have experienced helps arm me with what I need to make it happen.

Two questions on the above:
-What is better food? Does Purina cat chow need to be bettered?
-What are unnecessary vaccinations? Are yearly booster rabies shots unnecessary when the cat lives indoors?

Old 04-22-2013, 11:23 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
To the above poster, I really don't want to get in to a vaccination debate but yes, if your cat lives indoors, there is no reason for a yearly rabies vaccination. We over vaccinate our pets, as a society, and I am totally against doing so. I used to do the annual stuff too...never again.

OP, it's been almost 7 years since I lost my little Xaxu. He was 14. I failed him badly at the end. I have yet to forgive myself. I WISH I knew then what I know now about vaccinations and diet. Oh how I WISH! I wish I would have done a lot of things different in his last years of life...he had a GREAT beginning and middle and towards the end but the last couple of years...man, I failed him hard. I will never forgive myself for it.

The positive though is that I will make sure I never fail another pet again. I have studied for a few years about diet and vaccinations, litters, toys, grooming, cat speak...everything I thought I already knew...and have completely changed things around here. They no longer get that store bought food, they no longer get the clumping, dusty litter, they no longer get over vaccinated, they no longer free feed all day long...I pick them up, I feel them, I pet them all over and I pay close attention.

Never again do I want to have to take my cat in, who is having failure, who is skin and bones, because I was a complete and utter moron. Never again.

And never again will I turn and leave them behind to be put down without me holding them through the process. I held him for a very long time and cried and cried...but I then surrendered him and walked out, my soul aching. I will never do that again..never leave them alone to die like that again.

All you can do is learn from it, go forward with it and not make those mistakes again. But forgiving yourself? Yeah, it is easier said than done and some of us will never find the way. And you know, that's ok, too.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:41 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
-What are unnecessary vaccinations? Are yearly booster rabies shots unnecessary when the cat lives indoors?
To touch on this briefly: canned food with meat and not fillers (veg, grain, etc) is better commercial food. Commercial raw is an option, homemade raw or cooked is an option. The idea is a wet food made from meat.

Even rabies is probably unnecessary, yes, although most states require it by law. The other vaccinations often still given as boosters yearly or every few are not necessary.

If you want to touch on this further I suggest creating new thread(s) about these elements just so we don't change the nature of this thread too much.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:43 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,539,616 times
Quote:
All my cats get the full course of kitten shots, and that is all. The exceptions is for boarding or if rabies is required by law.

As for food, it is always a debate. Canned food is always better, but cost is a factor there. My cats eats Fancy Feast Classics. They do get hard food also in the event we are out for awhile. They eat Evolve (which is available at our local Walmart).

Old 04-23-2013, 01:01 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,061,623 times
OP, don't blame yourself. I lost two cats to unfortunate circumstances. I have never stopped blaming myself. I don't think it helps. It's better to think about the good times you had with your cat.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:44 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:

I no longer declaw.
I buy better food.

Sorry for being a little off topic, but, what you mean by "I spend $$ on basic tests instead of toys."

Old 04-23-2013, 05:12 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,539,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Sorry for being a little off topic, but, what you mean by "I spend $$ on basic tests instead of toys."
People will spend big bucks on cat beds, trees, fancy scratching posts, and toys - but they don't take care of basic medical maintenance.

Our cats sleep on our bed, climb all our furniture, scratch up an ugly old table, and play with empty paper bags. All the money we save goes towards basic vet care.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:08 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
All my cats get the full course of kitten shots, and that is all. The exceptions is for boarding or if rabies is required by law.

As for food, it is always a debate. Canned food is always better, but cost is a factor there. My cats eats Fancy Feast Classics. They do get hard food also in the event we are out for awhile. They eat Evolve (which is available at our local Walmart).
But I look on the labels of dry and wet cat food and go with the dry type. This is because the stated protein levels are much higher. The higher the protein level, the better it is for cats.

Old 04-25-2013, 03:28 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,265,296 times
Quote:
But I look on the labels of dry and wet cat food and go with the dry type. This is because the stated protein levels are much higher. The higher the protein level, the better it is for cats.
Not always, not in cases of chronic kidney failure. At least thats what I was told to me as a reason for my cats end. You would think that was true wouldn't you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats