Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2013, 09:58 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,835,891 times

Advertisements

This weekend marks the anniversary of when my longtime visitor Blaliko made my back porch the last stop on her odyssey around the neighborhood. Sometime during March she had birthed six kittens. Ever since then she'd been shuttling them from house to house, relocating whenever curious children (or adults) compelled her to. With her uncanny feline instincts she was also managing to stay "one step ahead of the law." Three of the kittens had been captured one morning at the end of April. But at mid-May she had succeeded in dodging the Cambridge Animal Commission 4-5 times.
Despite Kittens 4 and 5 getting trapped for re-homing, and herself being TNR'd, Blaliko knew where plentiful food and water were to be had. That, a non-threatening human, and duplex-style living (on and beneath the porch) kept her situated at my house. And - as is probably universally known here by now - when the wary and elusive Kitten 6 had continued to evade being snared by July she was corralled in part of the house and TNR'd then. Named Seteria, she took "only" two months from then to quit fearing me. Undoubtedly this was helped along by her following her mom's cue.
Today, mother and daughter have long since completely settled in. Each has her own preferred napping spots (when they're not curled up in close proximity.) And Blaliko has found that certain boxes left out for that purpose, along with the normally dreaded pet carrier, are perfect places for breathers without interference from her spunky cat-olescent. Many have been the nights, throughout the year, when one or both have preferred to stay beneath the porch rather than be cozy - and dry - inside. Blaliko persists in taking "excursions" of 1-7 days. But all in all they know where home is and are happy about that.

Now that introductions are out of the way, I have a question. On the Friday night before last, on the late side, Seteria burst inside from the porch with her typical excited announcement that she was not only home but had caught something. She vigorously tossed and pounced on it in the hallway. Aside from realizing that the object hadn't once been a living thing there was no telling what she'd brought in. Fake fur and a plastic "skeleton" suggested that it'd once been a big stuffed animal of some kind. But there were no eyes, ears, tail etc to identify the imitation creature. Since that day the foot-long "prey" has been played with enough so small pieces have been knocked loose (and promptly taken to the trash.) About half of it remains intact. What brings the question is - no matter where in the house this object starts out, I'm often now finding it right next to the cats' "feeding station" in the kitchen. SO...I'm wondering: Is Seteria, having recently passed her first birthday, playing house? Could this find of hers be an imaginary friend or surrogate kitten she wants to share her food with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 01:48 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
SO...I'm wondering: Is Seteria, having recently passed her first birthday, playing house? Could this find of hers be an imaginary friend or surrogate kitten she wants to share her food with?
It sounds more like imaginary "prey" to me. A toy, something to play with. something to drag around.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:54 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,835,891 times
My thoughts exactly, but I found it odd that this stuffed whatever has ended up right next to the feeding station this many times. Could be a case of my reading too much into things - Seteria's hungry, so she takes her toy along with her and drops it while she eats. End of story. But I also know of cats who "adopt" things (not necessarily stuffed animals) and at least sleep with them if not do more than that.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:05 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
My thoughts exactly, but I found it odd that this stuffed whatever has ended up right next to the feeding station this many times. Could be a case of my reading too much into things - Seteria's hungry, so she takes her toy along with her and drops it while she eats. End of story. But I also know of cats who "adopt" things (not necessarily stuffed animals) and at least sleep with them if not do more than that.
One of my kitties "adopted" a small catnip mouse and guarded it with her life for a few days... then totally lost interest in it and never did anything like that again. Go figure.... cats will always be a mystery.

Old 05-20-2013, 05:58 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
My little cat brings her White Bunny to the litter box all the time. I usually find it IN one of the litter boxes.

A bridge angel of mine used to put her favorite toy in the water bowl.

When I was living in a large old barn that we were slowly converting to a house, the cats had a cat door that led to the non living side of the barn for their litter boxes. One of the cats was an excellent hunter and she always brought her prey in and dropped it in her food dish or water dish. She never ate the mice, she just left them in the meal area.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:34 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Go figure.... cats will always be a mystery.
This. I wouldn't even waste a moment trying to figure out what Seteria is up to! As long as she isn't hurt, or hungry or thirsty, or destroying your house ... It's all good.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:07 AM

2,186 posts, read 4,573,621 times
I agree with the others. Also, she may be bringing it to the food bowl and laying it where she can keep an eye on it so that Mamabear won't snatch it away from her. Apparently you are such a good cook that she simply forgets to fetch it when she is done dining!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats