Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2013, 12:03 PM

2,087 posts, read 4,285,697 times

Advertisements

My vet is so compassionate. He has discussed every differential diagnosis I have put forward, but now I understand what he means when he asks me " Yes, [malabsorption, anemia etc.] but what is causing it?"

Alfredo is accumulating fluid in his abdomen. I'm not going to do anything invasive, so it won't be tested, it isn't necessary.

My vet has gone through this with three of his own cats, he knew what was wrong with Alfredo during the initial exam, and the blood work confirmed [to him] that his initial diagnosis was, most likely, correct.
At the time Alfredo had no real outward signs, I could just tell he was a little 'off'.

Instead of the usual, "Oh she always thinks there is something wrong her cat" attitude I have encountered from my previous vets, this vet understands my relationships with my cats and said "You know him, if you say he's not right, then we'd better find out why."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 01:04 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
I'm sorry you and your buddy are going through this. What is the prognosis? Did I miss this part during my "absence"? I can't believe you have had such rotten luck with your cats. Just must be The Luck of the Draw as they say.
I hope he is not in pain and that you have the strength to face what lies ahead.

Old 05-26-2013, 05:22 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,573,066 times
Fluid retention can also mean cancer. A test of the fluid can diagnose that. I'm sorry you and Alfredo are going through this Leanan. xx

Old 05-26-2013, 03:08 PM

I'm at McDonald's using their internet, I'm getting a new phone (one of these days) that I can use to access the internet wherever I am, but until then ...

From one of the FIP support groups:

> http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/in...m/bc/56900.htm
>
> FIP should be considered in the differential diagnosis of any condition
> that causes peritoneal or thoracic fluid accumulation and in any chronic
> wasting disease of cats. Effusive FIP with peritoneal involvement should be
> differentiated from ascites due to congestive heart failure or
> hypoproteinemia (renal and liver disease, glomerulonephritis,
> malabsorption, parasitism), neoplasia, bacterial peritonitis, pansteatitis,
> toxoplasmosis, tuberculosis, pregnancy, and trauma. Differential diagnoses
> of effusive FIP with pleural effusion include cardiac insufficiency,
> neoplasia (lymphoma), pyothorax, chylothorax, cryptococcosis, lung lobe
> torsion, diaphragmatic hernia, and trauma (hemothorax). Differential
> diagnosis of noneffusive FIP includes neoplasia and other systemic
> infectious diseases such as toxoplasmosis, nocardiosis, actinomycosis,
> tuberculosis, and deep mycotic disease (cryptococcosis, coccidioidomycosis,
> histoplasmosis, blastomycosis).
>
> Please be aware that this list may be longer, I would for example add IBD,
> Feline Panleukopenia, mycoplasma infections, chronic URI, stomatitis, tick
> borne diseases, FIV, FelV, heartworm. Much depends also on how
> knowledgeable your vet is on FIP and other feline diseases.
>
> Marleen x~~~~

Alfredo was given sub-q fluids last week, the next day he was dehydrated and thirsty, and his stomach seemed to be larger and squishy. I freaked and called my vet, since the sub-q's were my idea, I asked him why the hell he listened to me and asked did I 'push' Alfredo into wet FIP. He said that sub-q's were the right thing to do, that's why he would have suggested them if I hadn't brought them up first. If he has FIP, the transfer of fluid would be more noticeable if there was more fluid available. Or something like that.

I'm resigned, not really defeated, just don't have the drive needed to [essentially] torture Alfredo with this and that test, I began the Chloroquine [again] last night ... my first attempt, last week, wasn't successful but Alfredo still avoided me completely for 4 days, making us both miserable.

This time I withheld his Epigen 90 'treat' until afterward. I let him see the package and placed the syringe on top of it. I also used a larger syringe so that the .05 ml liquid went in with one quick depression of the plunger, instead of a slower delivery caused by the long narrow syringes.

I found Alfredo's adoption paper's yesterday, now they mean something to me, he was [apparently] very ill at the shelter.

INTAKE: 8/15/2011

Administered:
Eclipse 3
Felocel FVR C (IN)
Pyrantel

On 8/23/2011 he was given:

Doxycycline 50 mg/ml 19.6 0.7 ml po bid 8/23/2011 to 9/6/2011

Baytril 50 mg/ml 7 0.7 cc sq sid 8/23/2011 to 9/2/2011

Cefa Drops 28 1.4 ml po bid 8/23/2011 to 9/2/2011

Lactated Ringers 750 75 cc sq bid 8/23/2011 to 8/27/2011

Penicillin G 1.5 1.5 cc sq sid in pm 8/23/2011

Penicillin G 1.5 1.5 cc sq sid 8/26/2011

I adopted him on Oct 15 2011 //www.city-data.com/forum/cats/...ew-rescue.html

I would still have adopted him, he chose me, the first song on Saber's playlist was playing, and he started banging on his cage when I walked by the adoption area at Petco. It was a half hour before the store closed, and Alfredo had spent the day hidden under his blanket, no one had seen his face, and they were surprised when I said he was banging the on cage. I asked to see him, and when the top cage door was opened, he jumped into my arms and stood up and put his paws around my neck and purred into my ear.

Old 09-27-2014, 12:29 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times
That is a beautiful adoption story! I also would make the same decision. My baby was a little stray that was a hot mess when I found her. Now they say she has FIP and we are 3 months into her max expected life left of 4-6 months.

How is your baby???????????

Old 09-27-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Fluid retention can also mean cancer. A test of the fluid can diagnose that. I'm sorry you and Alfredo are going through this Leanan. xx
And so it appears that it is cancer. An ELISA test pointed toward FIP, and his symptoms at that time did also. BUT- Alfredo was 7 years old then, somewhat out of the usual age ranges for FIP.

I had just spent a small fortune on my other older rescue cat Meeko, and did not have the money to run extensive tests, I felt being able to afford pain medication if needed, and in home euthanasia was more important than exhausting and frightening him with tests that couldn't save him if it was FIP. Also, if it were FIP, we would know soon enough.

I sent you a DM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats