Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 12:32 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,722,503 times

Advertisements

Hi there.
On Sunday my cat went outside to lay in the sunshine (his favorite Sunday evening activity) for about a half hour, then came inside and went to sleep.

A couple hours later I noticed that my cat started limping and wouldn't put any pressure on his right front leg. After inspecting his leg, I noticed a small trail of blood running from an area on his arm that looked like he ripped part of his skin off (kind of like a rug-burn) and was barely bleeding.

I immediately cleaned the area and put a tiny, tiny amount of Neosporin on it and wiped off the excess.

Two days later, it is now VERY swollen, has a tiny scab on the area that was once bleeding, and I notice that the skin is very bruised. He tries not to put pressure on that leg and is 'hopping' to stay off of it; however he will walk on it quickly to jump up on furniture or jump down.

He does have a doctors appointment later today, but I wanted to get some feedback before then.

Does this sound like it's broken or just possibly infected from the cut? He is over 15 yrs. old and it worries me that jumping up and down from furniture may have cause a bone to break.

If it is infected, what might they do? If it is broken, what might they do? I'm also worried about him having an X-ray considering he wouldn't be able to be sedated because of his age.

Any feedback would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 12:42 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,989,759 times
Without even seeing a picture it's hard to say but with the swelling... the vet will probably take X-rays with out without a mild sedative. If it's broken the vet will "set" the leg. If there's infection that will be cleaned out and he'll be put on antibiotics.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:48 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,369,736 times
I'm wondering if he got into it with another cat in that brief time? Or possibly tore his skin on something sharp? Sounds to me like an infection set in more than anything else, with a break being less likely. Had he jumped from any great height reently that you know of?

Old 06-04-2013, 01:35 PM

I'm seriously hoping that it's just infected and not broken. He's very old, but likes to jump on tables, counters, etc. For years I've watched him jump down from those high-up places and then flick his paws like it hurts him, but he just keeps getting up there.

I'm wondering if he jumped down from the table when I was gone and hurt himself. For there to be blood would almost suggest that a bone would be poking through (if it were broken)... his leg does feel huge and lumpy, but looking at the scab, I don't think (hope) it's not a break.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:17 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times
Poor kitty!! Please let us know what happens at the vet!!

Old 06-05-2013, 06:21 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,569,713 times
Sounds like a puncture wound and abscess. Three days is a long time to wait, I hope he has had treatment by now. Keep him inside.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:21 AM

24,521 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Any updates?

Old 06-06-2013, 09:46 AM

I am so glad it wasn't broken!

He was bitten by something. We have a fenced in yard and have never seen other animals roaming around, so I thought it was possibly from a bee; however now that he's pulled the fur off of the area, there's bruising near the punctured area that looks like a bite mark (which terrifies me).

After taking him to the vet, we found he has a major infection, had a fever, dropped weight, and was dehydrated from the infection. He's on antiobiotics, pain meds, and is eating canned tuna and chicken by the truckloads. He has issues with holding weight and he's a around 6 pounds now. He was also given a water injection.

He's still getting better, slowly, but I am sooo, sooo thankful it wasn't broken!

Old 06-06-2013, 12:25 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,354,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by negativenancy View Post
I am so glad it wasn't broken!

He was bitten by something. We have a fenced in yard and have never seen other animals roaming around, so I thought it was possibly from a bee; however now that he's pulled the fur off of the area, there's bruising near the punctured area that looks like a bite mark (which terrifies me).

After taking him to the vet, we found he has a major infection, had a fever, dropped weight, and was dehydrated from the infection. He's on antiobiotics, pain meds, and is eating canned tuna and chicken by the truckloads. He has issues with holding weight and he's a around 6 pounds now. He was also given a water injection.

He's still getting better, slowly, but I am sooo, sooo thankful it wasn't broken!
Oh I am so glad you took him in and he is getting the care he needs! We have a fenced in yard and I see cats and rabbits go under the fence all the time.....

Old 06-06-2013, 03:43 PM

Thank you

We definitely think twice now about letting him out alone. I actually think it may have been from a bunny. Is that strange? Lol

We have a LOT of huge bunnies in our yard right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats