Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 08:10 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times

Advertisements

I've had cats who act they are tripping on the stuff and others who showed no interest at all.
And My Cat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 09:25 PM

970 posts, read 2,213,533 times
Our older cat, Isis, does not respond at all to catnip. I was very disappointed the day I tried to give her some catnip toys.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:45 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
None of my Orientals have ever paid the least bit of attention to catnip. I bought Sushi the Tonk so many furry catnip-filled mice and birdies, but his favourite toy is a plastic bag full of disposable cutlery. He drags it around everywhere.
Go figure.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:07 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,448,062 times
My cat went nuts just with the mention of the word cat nippy. Do you want you cat nippy? He would go nuts when I said that. He only responded to one brand very well and it was called Cosmic Cat Nip. I use to buy it at Petsmart. It was obviously a very good quality cat nip. He just loved it.

He is no longer on planet earth. I was fortunate of have had him in my life for 25 years! Yes he lived that long!

Last edited by TVC15; 07-12-2013 at 01:36 AM..

Old 07-12-2013, 03:21 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
I have seven kitties ... three of them go INSANE with joy when I put out catnip, three of them like it OK, and one (Hansel) is completely uninterested. Go figure!

Old 07-12-2013, 06:43 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post

He is no longer on planet earth. I was fortunate of have had him in my life for 25 years! Yes he lived that long!
25 years???That is incredible. To what do you attribute his longevity?

Old 07-12-2013, 09:03 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
My cats are alternately indifferent and crazy about catnip. You never know which response you'll get.

I can't give them fresh nip, though; that totally freaks them out.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:06 AM

20,390 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Nimbus only responds to the fresh loose stuff, I've given him toys supposedly containing 'nip and he doesn't care. But sprinkle it on his cardboard scratcher and man...he's rolling in it and spazzing out happily.

My vet says that about 75% of cats respond to catnip.

I'm interested in how different cats seem to have different reactions. I had a female cat around once who seemed to always have a "bad trip"...she'd get really aggressive and violent. Weird, huh?

Old 07-12-2013, 11:45 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I'm interested in how different cats seem to have different reactions. I had a female cat around once who seemed to always have a "bad trip"...she'd get really aggressive and violent. Weird, huh?
Sometimes Checkers will freak out as you describe above, especially with fresh catnip. He claws at his mouth and gets all wild eyed. Other times he sniffs, rubs and rolls, and looks blissful. Still other times he just walks away.

Cookie is the one who almost always has the good trip experience with 'nip. She rubs, she rolls, she purrs, she chirrs. It's pretty funny to watch her. She's obsessed. But then other times she just walks away.

My neighbor's cat (RIP) used to come visit our fresh catnip patch, and then later in the day the neighbor would call, laughing, and say "What have you been giving my cat? He's stoned!" LOL After he died, I pulled up the catnip; it was taking up too much space in the garden.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:57 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,448,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
25 years???That is incredible. To what do you attribute his longevity?
I honestly think it was due to the fact that he was free. I had a pet door that allowed him to come and go as he pleased. I feed him healthy food and always kept fresh water out for him. He was a hunter like you would not believe. He had a happy life being free and he knew that he was very loved and protected by me. He loved me and trusted me as well. He was smart and very independent. There were not many people that he trusted. He was solid black and I think he had experienced people who are spooked by black cats. He would get so mad at me when I made him stay in on full moon Halloweens. I did this due to the crazy people in world that sacrifice cats on full moon Halloweens.

He had his own special cat nip bowl. I would pour some into the bowl and would eat it then do the face smear all over the bowl...then rolling around. Next I would find him asleep using the bowl as a pillow.

Last edited by TVC15; 07-12-2013 at 12:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats