Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 09:49 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,987,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Jasper just likes to be included in everything. I give him a bite of whatever we are eating, he checks it out, sometimes he eats it, sometimes not, but he is a pest until he is offerred some.
This is how my Callie is. She wants to try everything and so I will give her a small amount of just about everything but ONIONS AND GARLIC!

Quote:
Today is a good example: Breakfast, he jumps on the counter, to see me grating cheese, I put him down. He stays on the floor, but meows a storm, we sit down for breakfast, impossible with his ongoing chatter...I put some scrambled eggs in a bowl for him, he shuts up, checks out the food, goes to his bed.
Callie loves cooked eggs... and before I'm attacked again for not explain everything I feed them in minute detail, least someone misunderstands and poisons their cats, I don't feed raw eggs or add salt to the cat's share. We cook eggs in spray PAM, so no FATS are added.

Quote:
Dinner: He meows and meows, driving us both crazy. We give him a bite of pizza, he again, checks it out, and then, settles down.

He just needs to be included in everything.
None of our cats will eat anything with tomato sauce on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 04:42 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,760,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkern1989 View Post
When ever I am cooking something on the oven or preparing food on the kitchen counter, the cat whines and always attempts to jump up onto the counter. Then when I have food in my hand, she constantly attempts to climb up my leg. I adopted her from the shelter a week ago. She's 13 weeks old and currently isn't fixed. If I want to eat anything, my only option seems to be to lock her in the bathroom until I am finished. Why does she do this and what can I do to stop her from doing this? I am feeding her Iams dry cat food and she eats it regularly and seems to enjoy it. Should I feed her canned food every once in awhile?
I adopted my Girls at 4 and 9 months old and I needed to retrain them - no jumping on the kitchen counter or dinner table (and other things like scratching, etc.).

"NO" became a word that I would say in a strong voice. If that did not work, "NO" again and if there was not an immediate response a quick spray with a water bottle worked.

We have been a family for over 10 years and I have no problem with them jumping where they do not belong or scratching on anything else than the scratching post.

Old 07-31-2013, 05:05 PM

5,331 posts, read 8,540,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
"NO" became a word that I would say in a strong voice. If that did not work, "NO" again and if there was not an immediate response a quick spray with a water bottle worked.

We have been a family for over 10 years and I have no problem with them jumping where they do not belong or scratching on anything else than the scratching post.
This is exactly how I trained my cat when he was a kitten, and he has gone his entire life (17 years in May) without scratching a piece of furniture or jumping up on a counter or table.

In terms of eating human food, I have spoiled him by letting him lick the bowl after I eat yogurt or ice cream. So now when I am eating, which I normally do while sitting on the couch, he will sit close to me and stare hard at my plate or bowl. If its not something he can eat, I will just say "no!" and he will scoot back a few inches, but continue to watch me.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:55 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,760,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
We have a long flower box of mixed grasses from our lawn (non sprayed or fertilized) for our cats. It stays green year round were we live. The box stays outside most of the time. We bring it in for them every few days. A few days later it goes back out. They love it.
In the winter, I will pick the dried grass (have to dig through the snow sometimes to find it) and bring it in - as soon as I open the door, 2 cats can't wait to get at it. Sometimes I hide it behind my back so that I can at least take my boots off and get the grass ready for them to chow down on (that means putting some up high so they can't get to it and then I hold the grass with my hands and let each cat chow down). I am going to try and transplant some of the outdoor grass and bring it inside for the winter. It may last a month or two, hopefully.

They really chow down on the grass - probably a dozen long green blades a day.

Old 08-04-2013, 03:38 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
In the winter, I will pick the dried grass (have to dig through the snow sometimes to find it) and bring it in - as soon as I open the door, 2 cats can't wait to get at it. Sometimes I hide it behind my back so that I can at least take my boots off and get the grass ready for them to chow down on (that means putting some up high so they can't get to it and then I hold the grass with my hands and let each cat chow down). I am going to try and transplant some of the outdoor grass and bring it inside for the winter. It may last a month or two, hopefully.

They really chow down on the grass - probably a dozen long green blades a day.
You can buy grow-pots of cat grass and catnip, or mix them yourself; both can grow indoors and be cut down as needed.

Old 09-24-2015, 04:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,467 times
My kitten (6weeks) will eat while I am cooking then she will run into the bedroom where we eat and see that I'm eating and she goes nuts, she climbs all over me acts starving and tries to steal my food, I put her on the floor she climbs right back up. She won't leave me alone til I'm done.

Old 09-24-2015, 04:40 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,982,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreewbeedoo View Post
My kitten (6weeks) will eat while I am cooking then she will run into the bedroom where we eat and see that I'm eating and she goes nuts, she climbs all over me acts starving and tries to steal my food, I put her on the floor she climbs right back up. She won't leave me alone til I'm done.
You can try a few things ...

1) Maybe not feed her while you're cooking and feed her while you're eating. If that doesn't work (she bugs you too much while you're preparing your meal), maybe give her some of her food then, and then the rest while you're eating.

2) Don't let her into the bedroom. Shut the door, and although she may try hard to get that door open, give it some time for her to finally get the drift. Completely ignore her.

3) When she is bugging you, don't react, meaning just remove her but don't look at her and don't say anything to her (looking at her and speaking are reinforcing the behavior). You may have to do this a bazillion times.

Consistency and patience are the key! Whichever method you choose, remember that she's just a baby and it will take some time for her to understand.

Old 09-24-2015, 05:12 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,564,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreewbeedoo View Post
She acts this way because she is hungry.

Sounds to me that you are not feeding your kitten enough, or not feeding the right foods.

A 6 week old kitten, not only has been weaned too soon, she needs about 12 ounces of canned cat food a day.

Her tummy is tiny so the food needs to be spread out into many small meals.

Why has she been taken from her mother so young?

Last edited by catsmom21; 09-24-2015 at 05:26 AM..

Old 09-24-2015, 12:15 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,363,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
She acts this way because she is hungry.

Sounds to me that you are not feeding your kitten enough, or not feeding the right foods.

A 6 week old kitten, not only has been weaned too soon, she needs about 12 ounces of canned cat food a day.

Her tummy is tiny so the food needs to be spread out into many small meals.

Why has she been taken from her mother so young?
Agree this may be the problem. I've raised over a dozen kittens in the past, and none of them showed very much interest in people food (at least while they were young). Your kitten needs a good high quality canned kitten food with the extra nutrients, and should be fed small amounts more often.

Old 09-29-2015, 06:13 PM

80 posts, read 72,598 times
Wink old post, but new information to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Get rid of the dry food. Feed her canned only. Make sure you feed her ENOUGH!
I didn't even know that dry food is deficient of nutrients for cats.
my three cats' been fed only dry food for whole 6 months with me.
they must hate me now

I'm shopping for wet canned food for cats.
Thanks for this information!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats