Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 10:40 AM

1,310 posts, read 6,556,627 times

Advertisements

I saw this in the Dog's forum and thought what a great idea! So, how did you come about your precious feline/felines???

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b136/deegers/6399876.jpg (broken link)

This is Sancho and his gray fluffy sister, Piper, my two children. We didn't plan their arrival. My friend had a beautiful female himalyan mix and didn't take care of her. So, much to attempts to tell him to get her fixed, she got pregnant and I took two of her litter. Piper is a gray version of her mother. Sancho was the runt of the litter. Trained at 8 weeks, we are lucky to say we have two cats that don't jump on counters, fetch their toys, and come when called. They are my pride and joy.

What's your cat's story?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 12:31 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
They're adorable!

We rescued two cats from the shopping center parking lot behind our house. BoyKitty just showed up one day, so we started feeding him. A week or so later, we noticed that there were two of them! GirlKitty was skinny and weak, and her eyes weren't the whole way open. They were about six months old at the time. They must have been the last of a litter, and the owner dumped them. Can't say whether I should condemn or thank that person.

We already had an aged cat, and didn't want to introduce two kittens into the mix, not to mention that they ran from us when we tried to touch them. Eventually we trapped them and brought them into the basement (our old cat would stand at the heat register and sniff -- it was hilarious!) with the idea of taking them to a no-kill adoption shelter as soon as one would have them. Before that could happen, our old cat died. So we kept the cats.

They're still a little skittish, but for the most part they are affectionate and playful lap kitties. So ... the cats either were sent to us because someone upstairs knew our old cat was going to die soon, or our cat saw that we'd have feline company after he passed on, and decided it was OK to leave us.

Old 11-14-2007, 02:31 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,013,307 times
Great idea, deegers, and beautiful kitties.
Ohiogirl, my kitty's story is somewhat similar to yours.
We had just moved to northwest Florida with two dogs and our aged cat, she was 19. We really were not looking for another cat because Pounce was the queen of the house, the dogs totally respected her.
But there was a little cat frolicking around the neighbors' house. Another family had moved away, leaving their pregnant pet cat behind.
Our neighbors had humanely trapped all the kitties and taken them to the shelter, except this one little crosseyed tabby kept eluding them. She was friendly--and starving--and I just fell in love with her. I named her Willow because her paws looked like little pussywillows.
As predicted, Pounce hissed, but Willow was careful with her and they reached a sort of truce. A couple months after Pounce reached 20 years old, she really began failing, and we put her to sleep. We lost our older dog that same summer.
So now we are down to one cat and one dog, but they are plenty lively.

Old 11-14-2007, 03:12 PM

What a sweetheart! I love the picture you took. Very photogenic like mine! I love hearing these stories of how cats just show up and chose their owners. It's awesome.

Old 11-14-2007, 03:24 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,429,938 times
My most recent addition is a kitty we found on Petfinder.com: Adopt a pet and help an animal shelter rescue a puppy or kitten.

His original owner had been an elderly lady who passed away, he and his sister were given to a foster group. The Foster group found an owner for him and sent him home with them thinking everything would be fine. Well my little kitty is small in size but tough as nails and didn't take any guff off their other cat so they returned him. Back he went to the foster group. His sister was adopted without him.

Then my daughter and I came along and brought him home with us. He is a precious kitty who has no idea he is half the size of my other kitties. He rules the house with a velvet paw. He lays on us and just purrs. All it took was some patience and understanding.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:03 PM

23,014 posts, read 34,374,307 times
After our first cat passed away in 2004 we went in search of a new baby, we wanted a Ragdoll and I found the perfect breeder and got Maggie on Nov 9 2004. She is a handful at times, she is very nosy, but we love her VERY much, she is family.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:51 AM

96 posts, read 356,657 times
What adorable babies all of them. I got mine when I wan't planning on getting one. My little boy is 6 years old kept begging me for a kitten, well I just happend to look at the craiglist, which I don't like but something caught my eye. It was the most beautiful cat and it was 3 years old and declawed(which I have never done). I showed it to my son and he said I have to have him mommy. The lady was planning on taking him to the shelter if nobody wanted him. Well the rest is history, we have Sam now and he is part of the family. He loves my little boy and will come only when he calls, he is such a loving cat who rolls over on his back to have his tummy rubbed. I took him to my mom's apartment and she fell in love with him too...She has a cat that is 17 years old, I actually rescused it from the outside, nobody wanted it. My sister lives with my mom and she has my other cat Smokey who is totally devoted to my sister, I couldn't bear taking him away from her when I moved. They have a special bond, he was abused and she is very sick, it's like they just connected. I just love reading all the stories and think that cats do rule(or think they do)

Old 11-16-2007, 09:18 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,743,040 times
My aunt found a cat in the hosptial parking lot when my grandmother had surgery, poor kitty had been run over, they took care of it, nursed it back to health. She had kittens, but sadly the neighbors dog somehow killed all but one kitten. The momma cat took the baby up a ladder and had it on top my aunts house when I brought it down. Our kitten is now 7 months old.

Old 11-16-2007, 11:20 AM

Wow, some really great stories in here! Thanks for sharing. Keep them coming!

Old 11-16-2007, 12:27 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,274,874 times
we got bailey as a kitten from the spca. We needed a college apartment cat. Everyone fell in love w/ him and people would come over to see the cat(ha). He use to do zoomies(like puppies do). I brought him home that summer and he would sleep curled up in my collies tail at night. Then we found Natty under a car as a very young kitten. He ended up very ill at four years and died(he had major personality porblems as he was a mix between a lynx and domestic and he had kidney failure). Then we adopted our cody dog from the pound two years ago.
Bailey prefers dogs over cats, so it works. We love him!

here's pics of Bailey(we call him bay-boy ....he was named after Baileys Irish Cream) and Natty(natural light ...we were poor college kids) .....and Bailey and Cody(he was named Cody, because my husband wouldn't let me name him bandit)
Attached Thumbnails
What's your furbaby's story?-dscf0015.sized-1-.jpg   What's your furbaby's story?-dscf0038.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats