Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2013, 02:01 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,737,138 times

Advertisements

Hey!

I was wondering if anyone has tried litter kwitter to teach their kitty to use the toilet.

A friend of mine raved about teaching her 8 month old kitty, so I was just wondering if anyone else had any experience or has tried this. I am wondering if it is worthwhile to try.

Sorry for the typo in the subect wooooooooops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 05:29 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,067,667 times
My cats prefer it as a drinking bowl.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:35 PM

1,134 posts, read 2,238,747 times
LOL 30to66, my dogs think it's a water bowl too. I'm hoping to see positive responses to this post though, I'd love to dump - pun intended - the litter boxes forever =)

Old 09-25-2013, 07:02 PM

See someone told me at a birthday party that they did this for their cat and it was absolutely amazing, she has no litter boxes and it was super easy to do. She said you save money by not using litter anymore too even though the kit is pretty expensive!

I'm just scared to spend that much on a kit and it not work on my cat, so I was hoping someone here might have tried it!

Old 09-26-2013, 05:01 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,585,079 times
Very bad idea. Monitoring litter box use is one of the most important ways to keep track of a cat's health.

Not to mention forcing a cat to squat in an unnatural position and denying him the instinctive drive to bury his waste is not very nice for the cat.

Having a cat means having a litter box. It's not that big a deal.

I have a friend who, much to her regret, trained her cat to use the toilet. He now has all sorts of health problems that require her to monitor his output. She's trying to retrain him to the litter box.

He had a hospital stay and he wouldn't use the litter box, he simply held it until he was ready to burst. The vet finally had to put him under anesthesia and catheterize him, and give him an enema.

Old 09-26-2013, 05:35 AM

2,106 posts, read 3,013,145 times
^^ o my gosh thats awful. I'll keep my litter boxes

Old 09-26-2013, 06:36 AM

yeah!! that is terrible!

the litterbox doesn't really bother me, but after all of the raves this girl gave about it, I was curious about it.

that anecdote is enough to make me see the other side of it, too.

Old 09-26-2013, 08:33 AM

60 posts, read 134,161 times
Oh my catsmom21, you laid it out just like it is, I always though how wonderful it would be if a cat would be toilet trained, but you just opened my eyes wide, monitoring the litter box and having them crouch in a very unnatural way are two valid points, now I won't think it's so cool for cat to be toilet trained...

Old 09-26-2013, 10:20 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,376,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Very bad idea. Monitoring litter box use is one of the most important ways to keep track of a cat's health.

Not to mention forcing a cat to squat in an unnatural position and denying him the instinctive drive to bury his waste is not very nice for the cat.

Having a cat means having a litter box. It's not that big a deal.

I have a friend who, much to her regret, trained her cat to use the toilet. He now has all sorts of health problems that require her to monitor his output. She's trying to retrain him to the litter box.

He had a hospital stay and he wouldn't use the litter box, he simply held it until he was ready to burst. The vet finally had to put him under anesthesia and catheterize him, and give him an enema.
That's a VERY good point and I agree totally. Last year one of my ladycats developed a mild UTI which I caught early and got it treated successfully. It was the litter box that told me she had a problem. If it hadn't been for that, I might have missed it and she could have had a more serious issue. Like Jackson Galaxy advises, sometimes it's very important to be able to read a litter box.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats