Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2013, 07:10 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,428,379 times

Advertisements

We have two boys, both 16, been sharing a home for the last dozen years or so. Both were neutered at a year old. Have never had a problem, never been sick a day in their life. But the one has now started spraying. I took him to the vet wondering if he had a UTI or something. Nope. Perfect health and the vet said he never would have guessed his age if I'd not told him. Other cat isn't doing this. No changes in the house recently. I've tried to replace the litter box thinking maybe they needed a new one. Nope. Tried newspaper based litter, clay litter, scoop litter and some kind of litter that looked almost like like plastic balls. Nothing is helping. I'm at my wits end with this boy! Any thoughts or advice? He just came in my room an hour ago and sprayed on the dog's bed and the curtain behind it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2013, 07:43 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,369,412 times
Are there any cats or other critters coming around outside your house and possibly marking territory?

Old 09-29-2013, 07:51 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,428,379 times
It's possible but the boys aren't allowed outdoors. Do you think they'd smell it from inside? Again, although it's possible, I'm thinking probably not. We've got chickens and they make one heck of a fuss if there are other animals outside and fly back inside their fenced yard at our back door and throw fits. They've not done that in months. So I'd *guess* no, but that's not to say I'm not wrong either.

FYI, they currently have just a regular plastic WalMart litter box. It had the domed lid on it because I thought it would keep any litter box odor contained. After I put it in there though I realized it's probably the equivalent to them of using a portapotty to us, so I took the lid off and put it behind a set of shelves in the laundry room so they've got privacy. It's the same place the litter box has been for seven years. It is smaller though, by just a bit. I replaced it about a month ago. Maybe that's it? They don't like the new box? I guess I never thought of that. I've also noticed one of them isn't using it to poop in either and will potty just outside the box. I"m assuming that is also Milo, but could be wrong there.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:51 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
No crystals evident? I was thinking that urinary issue, especially since he's a neutered male. Might change to that special catfood anyway... maybe??? Hope it gets cured. It's going to be hard to get the smell out!

Old 09-29-2013, 08:18 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,369,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
It's possible but the boys aren't allowed outdoors. Do you think they'd smell it from inside? Again, although it's possible, I'm thinking probably not. We've got chickens and they make one heck of a fuss if there are other animals outside and fly back inside their fenced yard at our back door and throw fits. They've not done that in months. So I'd *guess* no, but that's not to say I'm not wrong either.

FYI, they currently have just a regular plastic WalMart litter box. It had the domed lid on it because I thought it would keep any litter box odor contained. After I put it in there though I realized it's probably the equivalent to them of using a portapotty to us, so I took the lid off and put it behind a set of shelves in the laundry room so they've got privacy. It's the same place the litter box has been for seven years. It is smaller though, by just a bit. I replaced it about a month ago. Maybe that's it? They don't like the new box? I guess I never thought of that. I've also noticed one of them isn't using it to poop in either and will potty just outside the box. I"m assuming that is also Milo, but could be wrong there.
If there's any spraying going on outside, it's likely your guys will smell it & could be an issue. It could also be something to do with the new litter box. I have 3 litter boxes.... 2 standard size & 1 that is larger & deeper. My senior tomcat usually uses the bigger one and there has been times when he used the small ones and missed the box a little. So for him size matters. Since your litter boxes are really the only thing different, sounds like that could be your problem. Others can probably give better advice than me, as I haven't had to deal with that with my crew.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:29 AM

5 posts, read 4,650 times
Default RE: 16 year old cat started spraying

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Are there any cats or other critters coming around outside your house and possibly marking territory?
no there is no cats around outside from the wall

Old 09-30-2013, 09:09 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,924,021 times
Since he's an older guy, I wonder if getting into the litter box is an issue (in his mind)? Could you try cutting away part of the side so there's easier access? I would also suggest the Cat Attract litter. We've used it in the past with pretty good results.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:41 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,991,242 times
Location of the box is also important. If it's hard to get to for an old cat who may be suffering from some arthritis, they'll skip using it. Especially if they have to go up or down stairs. How clean are the litter-boxes? You should have at least 2 and one on each floor of your home. If 2 cats are using the same litterbox, it needs to be scooped several times a day. The general rule is one box per cat and a spare, scooped twice a day. Some people don't realize how important that is. Because the feces and urine are "buried" they don't realize the cat KNOWS it's there and doesn't want to get their paws in it covering up a new clump of whatever they just did. So... one box on each floor which is easy to reach. Make a cutout lower section so old cat doesn't have to jump or climb into the box. At least 2 boxes kept scrupulously clean and scooped. Make sure the other cat isn't "litterbox guarding."

Old 10-01-2013, 12:01 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,478,979 times
If you have other cats that are hanging around outside your place your cats can smell it. This particular cat may be very territorial and that is why it is spraying. Are there any cats outside that your cats can see through the window?

Old 10-01-2013, 02:17 PM

2,978 posts, read 3,924,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
This is possible. Taking off the lid is a good idea. Some cats dislike covered boxes.

Instead of a litter box, we use plastic storage bins, with an entrance cut out of part of the side. You can buy any size you like and it's way cheaper than a traditional litter box.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats