Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 05:58 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times

Advertisements

Please don't put flea collars on your cat. They are very toxic and not all that effective. the only place for a flea collar is cut up in a vacuum cleaner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 09:57 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Please don't put flea collars on your cat. They are very toxic and not all that effective. the only place for a flea collar is cut up in a vacuum cleaner.
Definitely agree with that. And if a cat does get fleas, they have a habit of accumulating under a collar.

Old 07-27-2014, 12:01 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainer61 View Post
The only one I have found effective is Revolution. It works like a charm.
I agree with this.

Old 07-27-2014, 01:02 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,756,921 times
We switched to Revolution for the dog and cats. We never used anything on the cats until we started wintering in FL and were a advised fleas could jump through the screening on the lanai where the cats lounged. Plus it protects against heart worm from mosquito bites.

When we came North we stopped using it on the cats, what a bad move in hindsight. We have used Frontline or Advantage II for 27 years on our various dogs year round. Last July we had an infestation that started with the dog and spread to the cats and learned at the local Petco everyone was having flea problems even using the meds, it was like the fleas were immune to it.

We switched the dog to Revolution and are keeping the cats on it year round. When we went to FL in the fall, I used Capstar three days before we left, traveling and three days after we got there. It kills fleas in four hours, but I t doesn't kill eggs. I wanted to make sure I broke the cycle and wasn't taking any chance any were making the trip even though I thought I had gotten rid of them. I don't want to go through that again anytime soon.

Old 07-27-2014, 02:55 PM

Back when I first responded to the old part of this thread I was still using Frontline Plus on my 5 cats. At that time I was starting to become aware that the Frontline wasn't as effective as it once was (had been using it for many years). It would work for maybe 2 weeks, then the fleas would come back. I had been in the habit of skipping treatments during the winter months, and my vet suggested that the fleas/cats may have built up a resistance to it because of not being consistently applied. It may have been that, or the manufacturer changed the product... I don't know. Either way, it stopped working & I made the switch to Revolution. I de-flead the entire house & treated all the cats at the same time, and have been flea free ever since Nov last year. I treat them every month now (lesson learned), and so far it's keeping the bugs under control. I think whatever treatment you use that consistency is the key to keeping it effective.

Old 07-28-2014, 02:31 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
.... Nov last year. I treat them every month now (lesson learned), and so far it's keeping the bugs under control. I think whatever treatment you use that consistency is the key to keeping it effective.
My vet told me last month that Revolution actually remains active longer than a month. More like 6 or 7 weeks. You may want to check with your vet on that. We haven't seen any fleas on our cats or on Sheba. But will use Revolution if we do.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:52 AM

112 posts, read 301,168 times
Anyone use Vectra? I noticed my recent adoptees from the shelter had been treated with Vectra and when I looked it up online it seems like Frontline is starting to lose it's edge and Vectra is being pushed at vets more. None of the cats had fleas so I took that as a good sign.

And I saw another local animal shelter was doing a "low cost clinic" and I was able to buy the Vectra single doses buy 1, get 1. So I got 6 doses for around $50-60. Definately worth keeping an eye out for in your areas. I usually spend $100 getting the 6 doses of Frontline at a Petco/Petsmart. I haven't switched to the Vectra yet though since I still have some Frontline.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
My vet told me last month that Revolution actually remains active longer than a month. More like 6 or 7 weeks. You may want to check with your vet on that. We haven't seen any fleas on our cats or on Sheba. But will use Revolution if we do.
Yes, my vet told me the same thing a few years back. Right now I'm stretching the applications to every 5 weeks, and so far, so good. During the coldest part of last winter, I actually went a full 6 weeks a couple of times. They were evidently still protected well enough, and I managed to save a little bit. Don't think I'll push it more than that though. De-fleaing my house is not on my list of fun things to do.

Old 07-29-2014, 02:09 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
I used Vectra, and it worked well on the fleas, but I think Revolution is better. I was never able to find a place to order Vectra from, so I had to go to the vet once a month, and buy one tube at a time. But with Revolution, I was able to order from CanadaVet, which made it a lot easier, so I just do that now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats