Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 11:43 AM

563 posts, read 677,666 times

Advertisements

My kids are fussy millionaires. Is this home made food hard to make? Has anyone here done it? How do you make kitty litter with corn husks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frustraited View Post
. And for people who have a lot of cats there is home made catfood recipes' maybe that can save you money. I also buy my cat kitty litter made out of corn husks. It works great is not toxic like other ones and the bag is really light weight which I love.

Last edited by glenninindy; 10-14-2013 at 11:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 11:49 AM

303 posts, read 539,991 times
I feed Napoleon and Josie wet food twice a day, so about 3 oz each per day. We use the Wellness brand, they love the seafood and chicken flavors but NO beef flavors. Then they get a TON of treats, probably almost a meal's worth. And a little before bed they get Simply Nourish dry food, about 1/2 cup each. They like the Turkey flavor. Napoleon is about 9 lbs and Josie's around 8.5 lbs, both very active and healthy. They drink water freely so I don't have to supplement it into their wet food which is nice.

Old 10-14-2013, 11:56 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Yes, any canned is better than none. But why feed any dry at all?
Because I had a very young kitten who needed to be fed every three hours. After a few weeks of round the clock feeding, we wanted to sleep through the night, and we weren't going to leave canned food out to spoil.

Now she's is at an age where she needs to be fed every 6 hours. That still means a midnight feeding. She doesn't eat all at once, and I'm not leaving canned out all night. For people who work, there is the problem of needing to have food available during the day while they work.

As a result, at this age, we've decided that 1/2 can at breakfast and 1/2 can at dinner, and measured dry for lunch and midnight, will allow her to have the multiple feedings she needs while we are out and about during the day and while we sleep at night.

When people have a animals that need to be fed when they're not home or sleeping, dry food is healthier for those feedings than wet food that will spoil. Surely you can see how a strictly canned or raw diet isn't appropriate for a working owner who has a kitten that needs to be fed many times per day when the owner isn't home.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:32 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,569,713 times
To Hopes: I want to add this one more thing. I am not saying, even for one second, perish the thought! that I think you are not good to Bobbles, or that you don't have her best interests at heart. I know how much you love that kitten, and how lucky she is to be with you.

I just think it is important to refute certain fallacies you mentioned that always show up in dry vs wet discussions. I didn't always know these things either, though I have fed a wet only diet (*with one exception*) since 1985. Learning has to start somewhere.

To answer your above post, I am a working single person who currently has a cat who needs to eat every 4 - 5 hours. And I have had an elderly sick cat before who needed to eat every 3-4 hours. And three years ago I raised a kitten who needed to eat every 1-2 hours.

Somehow I have always managed without dry food. Without leaving food sit out. I can't leave food sit out for one cat, I have another cat who would have it gone in seconds.

I simply wrap my life around the feeding schedule of the cat. Like I said earlier in this thread, when I explained exactly how I do it, it's a life style choice.

(*That one exception I mentioned up above is the cat who now has such severe digestive problems from 6 years on a dry "prescription" food that she has to be fed tiny portions every few hours round the clock, to prevent regurgitation. And this problem was caused by a dry diet.*)

Old 10-14-2013, 01:14 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
To answer your above post, I am a working single person who currently has a cat who needs to eat every 4 - 5 hours. And I have had an elderly sick cat before who needed to eat every 3-4 hours. And three years ago I raised a kitten who needed to eat every 1-2 hours.

Somehow I have always managed without dry food. Without leaving food sit out. I can't leave food sit out for one cat, I have another cat who would have it gone in seconds.

I simply wrap my life around the feeding schedule of the cat. Like I said earlier in this thread, when I explained exactly how I do it, it's a life style choice.
How is it possible to feed wet/raw every 3 to 4, 4 to 5, or 1 to 2 hours when you're away at work 8 to 9 hours per day?

Seriously. Please explain how you "always managed" without "leaving food out" in these situations. Mathematically and logically, it's impossible for most people to feed a cat every 1 to 2 hours without leaving the food out while they are away at work full time, which usually means being away from home 8 hours per day. If you have special work circumstances, such as working at home, owning your own business, working down the street, taking your cats to work with you, you should to be clear because most of the population doesn't. You're being vague and not providing clear explanations to prove it's possible.

When I provided Bobble's feeding schedule, I meant in the middle of the night----feeding around the clock for the full 24 hours. That means as a young kitten, she fed every 3 hours literally fed every 3 hours around the clock during a 24 hour period. Wrapping your life around the feeding schedule of your cat isn't possible for people who work away from home or sleep throughout the night in the situation I describe. The majority of the population can't arrange their work and sleep schedules to accommodate what you describe, unless you mean every 1-2 hours, 3 to 4 hours, 4 to 5 hours while you are home and awake. If you're not leaving wet/raw food out, clearly your cats are not eating while you are away at work. That's different from a 24 hour feeding schedule.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:19 PM

218 posts, read 544,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Because I had a very young kitten who needed to be fed every three hours. After a few weeks of round the clock feeding, we wanted to sleep through the night, and we weren't going to leave canned food out to spoil.

Surely you can see how a strictly canned or raw diet isn't appropriate for a working owner who has a kitten that needs to be fed many times per day when the owner isn't home.
Absolutely true. I work 12 hour days. There is no way I could leave raw/wet food out all day without it spoiling. Kibble is the next best bet to also ensure that everyone gets their daily sustenance. And I don't feel like my cat's lives are going to be totally compromised b/c of it. While a kibble free diet may be ideal, it's just not possible.

Quote:
I just think it is important to refute certain fallacies you mentioned that always show up in dry vs wet discussions. I didn't always know these things either, though I have fed a wet only diet (*with one exception*) since 1985. Learning has to start somewhere.

(*That one exception I mentioned up above is the cat who now has such severe digestive problems from 6 years on a dry "prescription" food that she has to be fed tiny portions every few hours round the clock, to prevent regurgitation. And this problem was caused by a dry diet.*)
And while you refute that Hopes' statements may be fallacies, so may your's be as well. There is no absolute fully known diet that is truly understood to be the best diet - whether that be raw, kibble free, wet only, etc.
While you have experiences, not all of your experiences or observances can be construed as the most appropriate for all cats.

Thank you for your thoughts and I think it's important to say that it's appropriate to be respectful of everyone's opinions with regard to cat dietary requirements b/c in truth, they are exactly that - opinions. Not everyone needs to be 'learned' or 'learning needs to begin sometime'. Sorry but that's very condescending for you to put it that way. : \

It is your lifestyle choice (certainly noted) and raw is your choice as well, kibble free, but it's a choice that not everyone can make given all kinds of circumstances.

Last edited by OcalaLiving; 10-14-2013 at 01:28 PM..

Old 10-14-2013, 01:20 PM

218 posts, read 544,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matryoshka4811 View Post
I feed Napoleon and Josie wet food twice a day, so about 3 oz each per day. We use the Wellness brand, they love the seafood and chicken flavors but NO beef flavors. Then they get a TON of treats, probably almost a meal's worth. And a little before bed they get Simply Nourish dry food, about 1/2 cup each. They like the Turkey flavor. Napoleon is about 9 lbs and Josie's around 8.5 lbs, both very active and healthy. They drink water freely so I don't have to supplement it into their wet food which is nice.
We 'treat' our kids well, too. It's a great bonding exercise.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:33 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,569,713 times
Cats are obligate carnivores. That is not opinion, it is fact. Everything follows from there.

But I am glad all the kitties here have loving homes anyway. I just think it's important that people know about the dangers of a dry diet, or to put it another way, about the benefits of a wet, non kibble diet. Even if only one person makes that switch for every thousand posts I make on the subject , it's worth my time.

Last edited by catsmom21; 10-14-2013 at 01:42 PM..

Old 10-14-2013, 01:34 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
2 girls
1/2 small can wet food twice a day
dry food available all the time
fresh water available all the time

Old 10-14-2013, 01:52 PM

369 posts, read 759,839 times
My boys split a 10 oz can of Weruva in the morning, and in the evening get 1/4 cup of Kirkland Maintenance Cat and 1/4 cup of Wellness Core. Though they've gotten tired of the Wellness, they only eat it after they've finished the other and sometimes leave a piece or two in the bowl just to tell me they don't want it. After finishing up this bag I'm going to replace it with Orijen. They're not picky about kibble, they just get bored with having the same ones all the time. Canned food is another story, Weruva is the only one Toby will eat consistently, and only one flavor of it. Fortunately his brother loves it too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats