Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 10:32 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob&willy View Post
.......My thinking about buying whole organic foods is to stay as healthy as we can for as long as we can because we can't afford Dr bills. So far it is working.
ACA/Obamacare will force you to get Health Ins. unless Calif is exempt. Health problems from what I have seen among family and friends generally start to rear their ugly expensive heads when people are older, unless they're obese. I started losing my friends once they hit their mid to late 50s. Cancer. Strokes. Heart attacks. One old friend died from complications of lupus and another of diabetes. My friend Ann died of a massive stroke - she had uncontrollable high blood pressure and lived at the Drs office. They are all gone now. My last friend died of kidney disease last June. If it weren't for good Health Ins my husband and myself would be destitute now and probably still in debt. The treatment for cancer alone ran almost a million dollars. In the 10 years before that I broke a knee in a motorcycle accident. The following year it was my ankle in a fall right outside our front door. Fortunately, at 68, I don't suffer from the chronic illnesses most of my friends did though I am starting to get high blood pressure which just about everyone in my family had. A good diet and being active can really make a difference but accidents can happen to anyone. Cancer can strike the healthiest people.

We take as good care of our cats as possible. We try to give them a stress-free life and decent food, lots of love and attention, clean litter pans and they see the Vet when sick. All are vaccinated and chipped. This is the best we can do for them. I can only hope they live to the ripe old ages the dogs did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 12:20 AM

62 posts, read 295,193 times
Quote:
OK, so you're feeding them organic meat plus supplements of organic organ meat. I'm curious why you don't buy organs from the same ranchers/growers. What are they doing with the organs?
I finally found a source for organic, non gmo turkey livers and hearts. It is Whole Foods. It comes in a 10 pound block, frozen. I let it thaw until I can break it up, kills my hands, then put 3 or so in a bag. I put 4 hearts in a bag. The cats are now getting raw liver and hearts along with their all dark turkey meat twice a day. I still give them sardines and salmon once in a while. The supplement ordeal has gotten so much easier. I still will be making their calcium from the eggs I eat. They are doing great and love, love, love their food.
Oh, the 10 pounds of hearts and 10 pounds of livers were $2.99 a pound. I think Whole Foods buys local, Diestel is a local farmer for us, so if you have one of their stores near by just ask the butcher to order them for you. We ordered Monday, got them Tuesday. We have enough for a few months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats