Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 09:27 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,429,508 times

Advertisements

It didn't work for me. I tried with our oldest cat, first sitting in the car without starting it, then sitting with it running but not going anywhere. I brought tuna to treat her with but she wouldn't eat it. She meowed nonstop and tried to escape. With dogs, they say to make sure to take them fun places as well as trips to the vet. There really isn't anyplace fun you can take a cat. (I guess you could take them to Petsmart to look at the birds, but you might get thrown out! )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 09:59 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Sorry you & Bobbles had a difficult time, but your story made me laugh... couldn't help it. Hope your next attempt at getting to the vet goes better.
I'm glad it made you laugh. My husband didn't think it was too funny when I told him his card wouldn't work until he called to verify it wasn't stolen. See, I lost mine so I was using his (with is knowledge), and it got flagged for signature verification because they suspected it was stolen because his usage changed over the past two weeks I was using it. As you can imagine, he didn't even get to hear the Bobble's part of the story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
In your case, I don't see how it would have helped. She didn't know where you were going, and you didn't actually make it to the vet. Yet she protested plenty anyway.
But she didn't run from the carrier. That's the part I want to keep encouraging!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Jasper is not fond of the car. Five minute rides are actually worse than a week in the car...Jasper was the "King of the Road" during our cross country trip, he just adjusted.

Our other cat, Beau, loved car rides, he used to jump in with the kids, and go for ice cream, school, where ever...McDonald's...he loved it.
It sounds like Beau was a cool cat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
There really isn't anyplace fun you can take a cat.
I totally LMAO @ this!

Old 10-26-2013, 11:26 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,376,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm glad it made you laugh. My husband didn't think it was too funny when I told him his card wouldn't work until he called to verify it wasn't stolen. See, I lost mine so I was using his (with is knowledge), and it got flagged for signature verification because they suspected it was stolen because his usage changed over the past two weeks I was using it. As you can imagine, he didn't even get to hear the Bobble's part of the story.

But she didn't run from the carrier. That's the part I want to keep encouraging!

It sounds like Beau was a cool cat!

I totally LMAO @ this!
Sorry, I wasn't referring to the credit card difficulties... that's never funny for anyone. The funny part was Bobbles going back in the carrier after you got home like it was no big deal. Typical cat.

Old 10-26-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Sorry, I wasn't referring to the credit card difficulties... that's never funny for anyone. The funny part was Bobbles going back in the carrier after you got home like it was no big deal. Typical cat.
No need to apologize. I mean it to be funny. So I'm glad you thought it was funny.

I was just sharing for the sake of sharing that my husband wasn't too happy to hear the events the day.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:34 PM

Bobbles did much better today. I positioned her so she could see me.

She still meowed regularly, but she didn't wail.

When we got home, she was much more relaxed than last time too.

The best news: Bobbles doesn't have Feline Leukemia!

Old 10-28-2013, 02:56 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,329,746 times
All I have to do is show Sushi the carrier, and he bolts and hides. In the car, the howling is unbearable; it's like having an ambulance siren next to your ear.
Once we're actually at the vet, he's fine. I let him out and he's master of the domain. Goes around saying hi to all the dogs and wanting to help the receptionist on the computer. He'll sit in the middle of the large dog scale and not let anyone on it. The vet couldn't even listen to his heart because he was purring to beat the band.
When it's time to get back in the carrier, all hell breaks loose. The vet had to put on the steel-mesh gloves and needed two assistants to help her get him in there.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
All I have to do is show Sushi the carrier, and he bolts and hides. In the car, the howling is unbearable; it's like having an ambulance siren next to your ear.
Once we're actually at the vet, he's fine. I let him out and he's master of the domain. Goes around saying hi to all the dogs and wanting to help the receptionist on the computer. He'll sit in the middle of the large dog scale and not let anyone on it. The vet couldn't even listen to his heart because he was purring to beat the band.
When it's time to get back in the carrier, all hell breaks loose. The vet had to put on the steel-mesh gloves and needed two assistants to help her get him in there.
That's hilarious! I love the image of him visiting everyone in the room. I've never seen a cat do that at the vet. They're all hiding in their carriers.

I can tell she's getting use to the car part. She was quieter on the highways. One road was bumpy due to construction and that upset her the most. Sounds of big trucks going by did too. So did the radio and the air conditioner. She may settle down more once she gets used to the sounds and feel of being in the car.

Bobbles stayed hidden under the blanket at the vet. She did enjoy peaking out at all of the dogs! I could tell she was intrigued. In the room, she went straight back to keeping her head under the covers. The vet assistant even used her cover every time she put her on the table. She was covered throughout the entire exam. She didn't fight. She didn't cry. She just shake, either. She was just super shy.

She has been sleeping ever since the appointment. It wore her out.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:20 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,663,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Wow, that's a new one! Our visits always followed what I thought was the usual pattern: carrier generally is not appealing at home, but once at the vet and dumped out of it, the carrier is the MOST appealing thing in the room and kitty is like please let me back in there please please please!

Old 10-28-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Wow, that's a new one! Our visits always followed what I thought was the usual pattern: carrier generally is not appealing at home, but once at the vet and dumped out of it, the carrier is the MOST appealing thing in the room and kitty is like please let me back in there please please please!
This will be Bobbles in the future! I'm sure!

Old 10-28-2013, 05:48 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,329,746 times
Well, Sushi is a very outgoing, very large, 20 pound Tonkinese. It was quite a struggle to get him back into the carrier without losing an eye.
Aside from the carrier he's eager to make friends with everyone! He's due for his shots and checkup soon and I'm dreading it. I don't know how I'm going to get him in there. I don't own steel-mesh gloves.
I may have to bundle him up like a baby and then trying to jam the whole works into the carrier. He'll be spitting mad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats