Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 06:33 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,015 times

Advertisements

You can raise it up on 4 bricks, or even half bricks since it is small. Then use solid foam block

Shop Rmax 1/2-in x 4-ft x 8-ft Polyisocyanurate Insulated Sheet at Lowes.com

cut to size of the bottom to create insulation below the unit so that air is not flowing under it.

Then figure out what would best help to keep blowing rain out, perhaps another plastic container (somewhat bigger than the main house) on its side with a small opening cut on the side that faces the house wall. Straw has very good insulating properties and it's what we use for all of our foster dogs that have outside runs and houses.

Last edited by zugor; 11-02-2013 at 06:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 06:38 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,515,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
^^^

How about putting it up on cinder blocks or treated lumber? Several years ago, I rescued a mama cat and her three kittens that had been dumped in a nearby park, and it took me about a month to get the kittens into the local no-kill humane society shelter. I put a large metal dog crate on three 4" x 4" x 24" pieces of treated lumber so that it wasn't on the garage floor, and that worked well.

In your case, you can get put down either the cinder blocks or the lumber and insulate the bottom with styrofoam panels ( HD or Lowe's). The styrofoam won't attract rodents.

I second the straw bedding. It can also be removed and freshened as needed.

What you also need is to block the wind from blowing into the shelter. A curtain as someone suggested might work. Perhaps a board or something that creates a "wall" opposite the door that leaves a space just wide enough for the kitty to fit through would work.
I want to elevate my shelters and never thought of the treated lumber. Great idea, and I love the wall idea. I did read recently how a tarp hanging sort of loosely over the opening provides the privacy they seek, too.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:09 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,049,118 times
OK - It finally dawned on me that I DO have something to get it up off the ground - a lawn lounger chair... and it fits perfect.

I also draped some rugs over the top (over the tarp) and let one sort of fall down over the door... so the kitty has a door now. He also likes to sit on top of the cat house during the sunny times of the day.

So kitty is way warm and snuggly now. He's in his little cozy house now. I've been warming his dinner up for him now that the nights are really cold. He gets dry in the morning, but every evening we give him some warm moist/canned food.

I really appreciate all the info and suggestions everyone shared here. Thank you!

Silly question: where do you purchase straw? (I'm a city girl. I don't know these kinds of things. )

Old 11-03-2013, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
Last year I sold (no profit) 70 feral cat shelters and this year, 60, from my driveway.

You can see them here: They are simple: You buy fish boxes (styrofoam containers for fish) which are often seamless and cut a hold at one end. You put in straw (straw is the best and driest insulator for cats and barn animals - if they are wet with snow the water drops down through the straw) which provides outstanding insulation, and you cover the fishbox with giant contractor bags (thick). Here they are:Joe's Fish Box Shelters - a set on Flickr

Alley Cat Allies and Neighborhood Cats, as well as the ASPCA and the Humane Society all have extensive photos and how to literature on how to make a cat shelter from wood, insulated materials, rubbermaid bins, etc.

I have made use of electric outdoor heating pads which are safe in the snow and explicitly made for the outdoor cat or dog. K H Heated Lectro Indoor Outdoor Cat Bed SM Free Cover | eBay Stick this inside a feral shelter and your cat will be warm. Or this, which is more solid plastic and very safe. K H Outdoor Heated Cat Pad Kitty Pad with Free Cover | eBay
That's the heating pad we have The K & H heating pad. Kitty loves it!!

Thank you for the link to the fish box shelters you make - what a great idea! Thank you for making those - think of how many kitties are sleeping warm because of you!

Old 11-04-2013, 06:57 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
OK - It finally dawned on me that I DO have something to get it up off the ground - a lawn lounger chair... and it fits perfect.

I also draped some rugs over the top (over the tarp) and let one sort of fall down over the door... so the kitty has a door now. He also likes to sit on top of the cat house during the sunny times of the day.

So kitty is way warm and snuggly now. He's in his little cozy house now. I've been warming his dinner up for him now that the nights are really cold. He gets dry in the morning, but every evening we give him some warm moist/canned food.

I really appreciate all the info and suggestions everyone shared here. Thank you!

Silly question: where do you purchase straw? (I'm a city girl. I don't know these kinds of things. )
Good job!
And bless you for taking care of him.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:22 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,442,882 times
We have an outdoor cat that adopted us. He looks to be a Maine Coon tabby with thick long fur, so winter cold won't be a big issue for him in this southwestern climate. I got a small doghouse and put a large thickly padded critter bed in it. He's very happy with the set-up. I keep thinking he'll want to come inside, but he just takes a step inside the door, looks around, and then saunters right back out.

Old 11-07-2013, 03:51 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Ran across this from another source today, didn't think of it earlier for this thread but seems appropriate:

Winter Tips - Alley Cat Allies

Old 11-07-2013, 05:03 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,605,159 times
Straw can be found at most feed stores - even if you live in an urban area I would think there are people who have horses.

You might also try garden centers, or even big box stores sometimes have straw this time of year.

Buy several bales now and stock up, because late fall is when straw is freshest so most available.

Then you'll have people who'll say - the straw will encourage mice! Well, gotta give the cat something fun to do over the winter!

Old 11-07-2013, 09:52 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,480,670 times
You are beyond awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post

Old 11-09-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Straw can be found at most feed stores - even if you live in an urban area I would think there are people who have horses.

You might also try garden centers, or even big box stores sometimes have straw this time of year.

Buy several bales now and stock up, because late fall is when straw is freshest so most available.

Then you'll have people who'll say - the straw will encourage mice! Well, gotta give the cat something fun to do over the winter!
Thank you!!

Yes we've had neighbors near us say they have mice and ask us if we have seen any. But we have not seen a single one, not even a mouse dropping.

Today I was out working in the yard and Sam he was following me everywhere I went. He's my little yard buddy. I was down on my hands and knees pulling weeds at one point, and he jumped on my back and started making biscuits and then laid down, right on my back! He is the sweetest and most affectionate cat I've ever known.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats