Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 07:14 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,648,632 times

Advertisements

So I thought I might pose this question here, in case anyone has experience.

There is thought that we might split a pair of cats that have lived in the same household for 10 years. They are siblings, litter mates, both female. BUT. They do not associate with each other at all, especially in the new house. The new house is large and each can have pretty much their own space. Last time I was there, I didn't even see the one cat because she kept to herself so much. They don't sleep together. They probably still share food bowls and litter boxes.

There has been some thought for a while that we would take these cats sometime after Amber's passing. But a few things give us pause about bringing one of them. One is, the one cat seems very very attached to the 6-year-old girl, sleeps with her every night, etc. Two is, the last time they even tried to go to the vet with this cat they thought she was going to have some kind of serious health problem just because of the car ride, and this car ride would be 11 hours or so. Three, this particular cat is the longer haired one who is suspect in my allergy reaction at that house.

So the general thought on our end right now is that it might be okay to divide them, that it would be better perhaps for the one cat to stay with her favorite person, etc. The one who we would take out of there has always been interested in me every time I stop by, I give her the most attention of anyone and she has always liked that. Here that would become an everyday occurrence. And, here we would be looking to have a second cat as well.

Is this just a bad idea? I mean, they will presumably notice that the other is not there. But it doesn't seem like it's going to be a big production given how much they tend to avoid each other. This is not a done deal but if it happens we would do this in a month or two.

I know there are plusses and minuses to doing it or not. Just wondering if there's any way to tell if this would end up a long term behavioral issue or anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 07:56 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,362,586 times
Sounds like neither one would miss the other all that much. In my crew of 5 there are 4 females, and none of them have ever been friendly with each other. They've always tolerated each other fairly well as long as a proper respectful distance was maintained. But more than likely each one would be perfectly fine if the other 3 suddenly weren't there. (BTW- none of them are related.)

Old 10-28-2013, 08:08 PM

2,029 posts, read 4,037,087 times
It doesn't sound like they are bonded so I would think it would be alright to separate them. If it doesn't work out can the cat you choose go back? If that option is available I say go for it!

I have 4 cats...2 males and 2 females. The females aren't particularly fond of each other but they both adore the same male cat.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:14 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,350,704 times
We had males in the same house for over 13 years, they played with each other, but when they were split up, it was like they had always been only cats. Mickey never "looked" for Pierre, and Pierre, acted fine.

Sort of like when I broke up with my ex husband...life goes on, food dish is full...next.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:43 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
I think it sounds like a fine idea. They don't sound very close. When the Labrador died, the Basset didn't skip a beat. He adored the Labrador, but he truly adored having all of the attention. He gets jealous easily. The cat that hides might be more social with the other cat gone. The cat you take will love being the center of attention.

My childhood Persian lived in my parent's home with her sister. When I became an adult, she moved with me since I was her person. They both did fine without each other. Years later, they were living together again and they didn't skip a beat. They just sort of hung out together looking out the window, but I can't say they were ever great friends. They stuck with their people. One slept with my sister and mine slept with me, etc.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:03 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,058,385 times
If it ain't broke why fix it is my theory. If they two cats are peacefully coexisting why split them up? Maybe I'm just not understand the situation.

If you are looking for another cat surely you could find one closer to where you are. you definitely would have to drug the kitty for such a long drive. We all know cats don't do well with extreme change- well at least not initially. And you are talking about eventually getting a 2nd cat. You have no idea how this cat would react to a new housemate once it get settled in. It is best to start off with kittens.

Why don't you try to find a bonded pair where you are? You would be surprised how many carts in bonded pairs have to be rehomed for lots of various reasons.

Old 10-29-2013, 09:47 AM

The basic reasoning would be because the cats, particularly Emmy, aren't getting the attention they deserve there, and the owners of the cats have realized that for several years. They got the cats 10-11 years ago and now there are 3 children 6, 4 and 2 and they've gone essentially those 6 years with less and less quality people attention really. When each of the kids were smaller they were a little more enthralled with the cats than they are now. There had been times in the past that they had asked if we wanted to take them, and I refused to make Amber deal with another cat again. Now that is no longer an issue.

But now we are concerned about taking Shea, the one who is more bonded with the eldest child. I mean, we don't really see her paying a lot of specific attention to the cat, but it's one of those things where she might not know how important it is until Shea is gone, and I believe Shea would miss the kid (much more than Shea would miss Emmy, the other cat). Shea sleeps wherever the child does and the child's bed is Shea's main bed too.

Additionally, there is now a small day care being run out of the house, the 3 kids, their one young cousin, and a couple of additional kids. Shea does great with this and hangs out with the kids. Emmy hides and only comes out in the evening, from what I've heard. Emmy does not like dealing with the kids. Emmy it seems would prefer to have more attention from people but it sounds like she doesn't get it much. It does not seem that the cats interact with each other much at all.

The family may well come back at this point and decide that they do want to keep both cats. It seems like they are able to handle Shea who is laid back. I cringe a little when I see what they have to endure in that house, smelly litter box, crappy food, etc. I am not in a position to be suggesting too much in terms of how they are cared for.

If they want to keep them then it's not an issue. If they want us to take Emmy, then that is where this question comes into play. We will be visiting there in a month.

The idea of a second cat with Emmy if she comes to live with us is not at all fixed. If Emmy decides she wants to be an only cat, then we'll have another only cat.

Funny fact: Shea was supposed to be male. They still call her "he/him". They didn't realize until they went for the spay surgeries I think it was. Oops, two spays rather than a spay and a neuter. LOL

Last edited by greg42; 10-29-2013 at 09:59 AM..

Old 10-29-2013, 10:18 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Funny fact: Shea was supposed to be male. They still call her "he/him". They didn't realize until they went for the spay surgeries I think it was. Oops, two spays rather than a spay and a neuter. LOL
I guess all that fluffy fur hid everything! If he/she has bonded with the 6 year old, they should stay together for the cat's sake too. It won't matter that there's not a ton of attention cat lovers give cats. That cat is just happy sleeping with the little girl and cuddling next to her when she watches TV. Shea is content. That's all that matters. Taking Emmy will be fine.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I guess all that fluffy fur hid everything!
Maybe. Shea has some of the appearance and seemingly the gentle demeanor of a Maine Coon, although not really the size. I hesitate to say she is part Maine Coon because that is not going by much knowledge, and these cats were litter mates I'm pretty sure (I said that above but I'm realizing I don't know it for 100% certain; Emmy has an entirely short coat), but Shea certainly does have long hair.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:59 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,561,395 times
I would not take this cat away from her home. First of all, who knows what kind of bond the two cats have? There may be more than meets the eyes. And remember cats rely on what's familiar. Familiar people, house, furniture, smells, other pets. . . I think it would be wrong to take her away from the home she has had all her life. And then, to have to not only get used to a new home and new people, but a strange new cat, it's asking too much of her. . . . The way she acts toward you when you are in HER home is not an indication of the way she will act if she should suddenly find herself in completely unfamiliar surroundings, everything she has every known, gone. . . If they think she needs more attention, they should make a little effort to give her more attention. Chances are she is perfectly happy. . . And don't forget what they are teaching the children... that pets are disposable. That would be terrible. . . Please, leave her where she is. There are plenty of cats in need of the wonderful home you can provide. And since you want two, why not find a bonded pair that needs to be kept together? Sorry about the solid block of text. For some reason I am unable to make paragraphs all of the sudden.

Last edited by catsmom21; 10-29-2013 at 03:29 PM.. Reason: to explain
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats