Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 01:26 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,291,770 times

Advertisements

I've just been given 2 lil kittens, so tiny their little ear flaps and eyes aren't open. They were abandoned, and other older cats were playing with them like they were mice...I picked up a hotwater bottle for them...their little wool hat (they lay in it) sits on top of it, and keeps them nice and toasty. I also got a can of formula special for infant cats....It's kinda hard feeding them right now. If I can just get them through their first week or two, they'll be home free...they were born I figure 0ct 30, ones black, ones orange. Nice halloween gift....wish me luck...any tips from other rescuers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 03:09 PM

451 posts, read 770,168 times
I don't have any tips other than what you're already doing, but I wish you the very best of luck! And thank you for rescuing the wee things! Not everyone has a heart as big as yours.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:19 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,392,775 times
Dont want to be Debbie Downer, but I would seriously try to find a nearby nursing mommy cat and add your kittens to hers for the first few weeks. Most nursing cats will accept any kitten at all if it's young enough, and it will be really hard for a mere human to provde the proper nourishment and stimulation that newborn kittens need to grow and thrive. That's my two cents.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:29 PM

24,597 posts, read 10,921,225 times
Good luck!!! You may want to contact local rescues or shelters for assistance. Please keep us posted.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:43 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
Are you sure they're only a few days old? I've read their eyes can be closed for up to 14 days.

You will not sleep for weeks. The kittens will need to be fed every TWO hours around the clock until 11 days old. After that, they will need to be fed every THREE to FOUR hours around the clock until they are 2-1/2 weeks. Then you can switch to four to six hours. This site is great: If You Find a Baby Kitten

It really depends on how they are doing. Bobbles was 6 weeks old when we found her but we had to feed her every 3 hours around the clock for the first two weeks (until she was 8 weeks old) because she was starving to death when we found her. Normally a 6 week old kitten can go 6 hours. So right now, feeding more often is ideal, especially if they aren't taking much formula.

We used a syringe, not a bottle. I've read they need to be warm while feeding or they won't be able to eat.

If you notice their little heads bobbling, they're hypoglycemic from not eating often enough. Kittens can turn hypoglycemic very quickly after just missing one meal. That's how Bobbles got her name. Her head was bobbling the night we found her and took her to the ER.

Good luck! If they truly are just a few days old, it really would be ideal if you could find a nursing mother.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:48 PM

Even if you get them to eat, take them to the vet to get fluids put under their skin. I'm sure they are dehydrated.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:51 PM

7,383 posts, read 12,680,248 times
They'll need a momcat, otherwise they won't start eliminating. She has to get their BMs going by licking their tummies and rear ends within the first few days of life. I've heard that trained cat rescue people know how to stimulate their BMs with a gentle tummy rub with a warm, wet towel (and there's actually online advice how to do it), but I personally wouldn't trust anyone but a momcat to perform that service with expertise . And don't try it yourself without seeking advice.

So I'd also suggest you call a shelter/rescue for support, and locate a nursing momcat. Best of luck, and thanks for rescuing the poor babies.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
They'll need a momcat, otherwise they won't start eliminating. She has to get their BMs going by licking their tummies and rear ends within the first few days of life. I've heard that trained cat rescue people know how to stimulate their BMs with a gentle tummy rub with a warm, wet towel (and there's actually online advice how to do it), but I personally wouldn't trust anyone but a momcat to perform that service with expertise . And don't try it yourself without seeking advice.
She should definitely try it herself instead of waiting for advice. The kittens can't wait to eliminate. The link I provided explains how to stimulate elimination for the first four weeks. It's not like she can mess it up. If they go poop and pee, it worked! If they don't, at least she's trying something until someone can teach her how to stimulate them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
So I'd also suggest you call a shelter/rescue for support, and locate a nursing momcat. Best of luck, and thanks for rescuing the poor babies.
They have a better chance at survival this way.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:28 PM

Make sure you read that website I provided the link for.

They need to eliminate before or after eating. They need to be burped. Don't over feed. Don't force them.

Just read the site.

Old 11-02-2013, 09:06 AM

7,383 posts, read 12,680,248 times
Glad to be corrected, Hopes--anything that'll keep the little ones alive. I haven't been able to check the website, but if instructions are clear, then full speed ahead!
I hope you have good news about Bobbles (other thread).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats