Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 10:32 AM

1,087 posts, read 781,729 times

Advertisements

The harm, as you alluded to, could come from social aspect -- cat can be addicted to what you eat.

Many cats have a passion for good eats. When humans share table foods, cats can acquire a variety of favorite tastes. I do not know about health aspects, but it definitely can bother you. I adopted a cat 11 years ago from an animal shelter. The cat loved pizza and corn chips. We do not eat those foods except some rare occasions, and we found the cat must eat with us whenever we eat those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 05:28 AM

2 posts, read 923 times
I am going to try that maybe what your saying will die down his obsession with ham.He does not even like his kitty food like he loves ham so yes maybe a new toy or anything will do cause he parks in the fridge until I give him ham.Your ideas are good and I will try them.Thanks!

Old 06-12-2017, 05:34 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,098,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Every so often I make myself a ham & cheese sandwich
Consider yourself lucky, one of my cats has a desire to consume Amazon (or any other) cardboard shipping boxes (the things we open) but only after they are opened and the tenderness is revealed (he dislikes tape, but likes cardboard.

Keeping him from cardboard requires running every opened Amazon or other box out to the trash as the minute it isn't watched, or if it's placed in a recycle pile disassembled, he'll start eating. Oddly he gets excited when an Amazon package is delivered (only in box form, he expresses no desire for envelopes of any type).

Old 06-12-2017, 11:34 AM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
Nimbus the cat is a cheese fiend. He will reject ham if there is cheese to be had. Given he is grey, I could have named him "Mouse." It would have worked.

If I have cheese at the kitchen counter, he will stand and stretch his paws up to my waist and pat on me until I look at him, and then meow at me. "Excuse me. Hello. Yes. I am here to inquire about your cheeses?"

I give him tiny bites if I have it out, but have to be careful as he'll come after the cheese involved in some Italian dishes, even if there's also a lot of garlic and probably also onion seasoning, which I know is no bueno for Mr. Cat. Fortunately he's not too aggressive in his pursuit of human food. He makes his interest known, and then is content to hang out and hope we will share.

Old 06-13-2017, 06:02 AM

965 posts, read 938,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Really didn't think about salt content (I should have known). I'll definitely limit what I give them. Looks like my ham & cheese will go the way of the old tuna sandwich.... lock myself in the bathroom to make one & eat it.
Thanks for the replies everyone.
This literally made me LOL, glad I wasn't drinking my coffee at the time. I have a few friend who actually do this, and I can picture it

Just realized it is an old thread, but as I read I got a kick out of it anyway!

Btw, I raw feed and do offer pork on occasion, though it is not a favorite. I often use pork organs however, and those are much appreciate by the cats.

Ham would be the cats meow, I'm sure I haven't offered it due to the curing / salt.

Old 06-13-2017, 12:45 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeace View Post
This literally made me LOL, glad I wasn't drinking my coffee at the time. I have a few friend who actually do this, and I can picture it

Just realized it is an old thread, but as I read I got a kick out of it anyway!

Btw, I raw feed and do offer pork on occasion, though it is not a favorite. I often use pork organs however, and those are much appreciate by the cats.

Ham would be the cats meow, I'm sure I haven't offered it due to the curing / salt.
Well, you see, there are some of us pet folks that have this affliction known Pushover Syndrome, or it's twin, the *ICSN disorder. When we are confronted with those pleading little faces of starving cats, we just don't have the strength to resist. So it's really best for all concerned to remove yourself and said food item to a secure location, out of sight and hopefully smelling range.

*I Can't Say No
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats