Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 07:19 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,239,268 times

Advertisements

Joe has a bald spot on the inside of his back leg. I haven't seen him grooming the area so I don't know if it's a case of over grooming and he is fine in every other regard. I don't want to rush him to the vet because it is so stressful for him but I'm a little concerned. He hasn't vomited lately, they rarely vomit, contrary to folklore about cats and hairballs and Joe would be a prime candidate as he sheds a lot although he's short haired.

They do have fleas and I'm wondering if this could be a reaction? He's had them before but never had this response, although that doesn't preclude it happening now. I'm going to give them Capstar tomorrow and start the process of ridding the house of fleas - I just discovered them. I can't use topical remedies because Orion breaks out from them with horrible blisters. <big sigh> It's a challenge when your fur kids have problems and they just can't tell you what's happening. I'm hoping I don't have to take him to the vet because it REALLY upsets him even if I give him something to calm him
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 08:09 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
It could be mites. Instead of capstar, use Revolution. It kills fleas and mites.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:16 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,929,042 times
Hopes, if you read the OP's message, he can't use topicals with his cats.

If there aren't any sores, scabs, or other irritations, I would guess the fleas are the likely cause of this bald spot. IMO, I'd treat for the fleas and monitor the spot.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:40 AM

If it's mites, she'll have no choice but to use some type of topical. My dog got mites from a motel when we were traveling. Long story. He had a small bald spot on his front right leg. It wasn't irritated or anything. Just bald. His skin is super sensitive. We had to put him on steroids so he could handle the topical medication.

It's worth trying to treat for fleas first. If it gets any worse, even a little worse, she should go to the vet because mites aren't something to let get out of control.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:22 AM

Mites! Yikes hadn't thought of that! I can use topicals on Joe, I will give it a try, I can't use them on Orion but the other guys are ok with them. Jeez, mites. This is why I come here, many heads are better than one! Thanks so much!! I checked the other two and they're fine. If they have mites I don't know what I'll do other than ask the vet since Orion will get terrible blisters from the topicals and I fear a more serious problem if I use them, but maybe there's a shampoo? I'm sure he wouldn't be happy with a bath but I can't have them getting ill either.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:18 AM

120 posts, read 167,366 times
My cat has the same symptom. He licks his fur off on the legs. The vet diagnosed an over licked (not sure of this word) behavior due to stress.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:25 AM

24,594 posts, read 10,909,474 times
Why do your cats have flees?

Old 02-12-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion2 View Post
Mites! Yikes hadn't thought of that! I can use topicals on Joe, I will give it a try, I can't use them on Orion but the other guys are ok with them. Jeez, mites. This is why I come here, many heads are better than one! Thanks so much!! I checked the other two and they're fine. If they have mites I don't know what I'll do other than ask the vet since Orion will get terrible blisters from the topicals and I fear a more serious problem if I use them, but maybe there's a shampoo? I'm sure he wouldn't be happy with a bath but I can't have them getting ill either.
There are other topicals besides the monthly pesticides. Shampoo is a topical.

Yes, there are multiple types of topical options for mites.

Work on the fleas first. It could just be an allergic reaction to the fleas.

Old 02-15-2014, 05:55 AM

12,326 posts, read 2,972,196 times
He's probably just overgrooming a bit.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:29 AM

Dogs got fleas and didn't want the cats to feel left out so shared them. We live on the savanna so if I'm late as I was last month because I ran out they will get fleas

I didn't think about mites, I've never had a cat have them anywhere but in their ears. I checked that out and I don't think that's the issue. His fur is intact everywhere else but if he begins to lose it or if it comes out easily I'll give him some calming meds and take him to the vet.

I think think he is overgrooming, he is very high strung. I think he has GAD (General Anxiety Disorder.) And he may be reacting to the puppy. He's been biting me more lately, he's always bitten my fingers then runs but since we got the puppy he's been doing it more and harder than usual. He doesn't like dogs, it took him a long time to accept our other dogs. He's a very sensitive little guy, he got me up one morning when the puppy was whining in the other room.

We have two rooms blocked so the cats have areas where they can hang out. One has their litter boxes and the other is where I feed them and they spend a lot of their time. They also have an enclosed area where they can sit in open air with places that are high enough the dogs can't bother them.

I wish there was more I could do to help him feel more at ease but short of removing the dogs or giving him meds on a regular basis I don't know what to do to help him feel better. I don't mind that he has a bald spot as long as he's healthy and happy, he could be bald for all I care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats