Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 06:07 AM

3 posts, read 3,241 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone!
So for a while now, I've been getting increasingly irritated at my cat for jumping onto my desk and walking in front of my monitor constantly when I am using my desktop, and therefore have decided that I no longer want him up there getting in the way. I read through various websites to see what different methods there could be with associating going up on my desk with something negative, so I tried tape face up on my desk and this is the result:

[url]https://youtu.be/coIF65WbBAY[/url]

Apparently I was supposed to make a loop with the tape instead so it would stay stuck to the desk instead of getting stuck on him, but I wanted to clarify that the tape isn't very sticky so as you can see in the video he was able to shake it off really easily. He was also completely unharmed during this and I had to stop the video before he started getting to the expensive stuff! As for if he still jumps up on my desk, he generally doesn't because I make sure to always be around when he's allowed in my room where the desk is. If I'm sleeping though... well I have no clue if he goes on my desk then.

Edit: I apologize, for the life of me I can't get the link to be clickable

Last edited by Alesandra; 04-01-2014 at 06:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 06:59 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,995,880 times
LOL.........is Sammy your first cat??

See... it's Sammy's room, desk, computer.......and everything else in your home is......Sammy's.

We humans are merely the cook, litter scooper and chin scritcher.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:36 AM

Haha yes he is, and he is definitely one who is very carefree about these things. He's a silly guy for sure.

It's like we go to hug them and he dashes off, but then if he wants petting he just comes up to me and I must comply.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:37 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,376,135 times
In the cat world when they communicate with each other, we are referred to as 'Can Opener'.... if that tells you anything.
I like to think it's a term of endearment, but sometimes I wonder.

Old 04-01-2014, 12:45 PM

20,397 posts, read 14,673,179 times
Nimbus has discovered that the power button for my son's computer is on the top of the box and he can totally turn it on. We were wondering why it was always on in the morning when we shut it off at night, and I was all "I need to get into the BIOS, I bet there is a setting" blah, blah, blah...

Yeah, no. It's the cat. Bored, at night, messin' with stuff.

Now I gotta figure out a way to put some kind of a cover over that button...I'm thinking of super gluing like a little bracket over the top so a finger can get under it but not a paw...

Old 04-01-2014, 12:47 PM

Goodness cats are so mischievous! I would definitely find it so strange if my electronics turned on mysteriously in the morning haha, good thing my cat hasn't done any of this.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:49 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Nimbus has discovered that the power button for my son's computer is on the top of the box and he can totally turn it on. We were wondering why it was always on in the morning when we shut it off at night, and I was all "I need to get into the BIOS, I bet there is a setting" blah, blah, blah...

Yeah, no. It's the cat. Bored, at night, messin' with stuff.

Now I gotta figure out a way to put some kind of a cover over that button...I'm thinking of super gluing like a little bracket over the top so a finger can get under it but not a paw...
You just need to hide the light. He's attracted to the lit button on the dark. I'll bet duct tape will do the trick and he won't see the light. You can still push the button if you put it on right.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:50 AM

20,397 posts, read 14,673,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You just need to hide the light. He's attracted to the lit button on the dark. I'll bet duct tape will do the trick and he won't see the light. You can still push the button if you put it on right.
There is no light on the button. He's clever, he learns quickly "if I do this something happens." It's the motive behind much of his cat mischief. When he steps on things up there, lights and fans and everything spins up and comes on, it's a gaming computer with lights inside and stuff. I would not be surprised if he got up there and turned it on and off more than once in the night.

Just like he knows that if he sticks a claw in my foot, I'll move my foot. He likes to do things and see a result. Ornery wee beastie that he is.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:30 AM

865 posts, read 2,162,355 times
Cats like to make you think you are in control. When, in reality, you are just giving them what they want.

The cat wants attention, that's why it's jumping up. Play with him a bit by running a string across the floor, then give him a treat. Tire him out and you'll be good.

I inadvertently let my cat train me to pick her up. She found out that when she digs the carpet, I pick her up and tell her no. So, whenever she is feeling affectionate, she digs the carpet so she can be picked up.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:31 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,100,559 times
you might try this:

Here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats