Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 06:59 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times

Advertisements

This is a very sad situation. And two staff members getting ringworm is bad as well. And after putting down 36 cats they receive 63 more. When will idiots realize how dangerous and stupid it is to not get their pets fixed? I simply don't understand it.

Ringworm outbreak at York County SPCA forces cat euthanasia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 08:31 AM

369 posts, read 760,165 times
So sad and I don't understand it either. What's worse is I've read fools on the internet saying the pet overpopulation problem is a myth. The shelter I work at has space for 50 cats on the adoption floor, and about 20 more in the sickbay/quarantine area. In the year and a half I've been there we've never had fewer than 40 cats on any given day, and we spent most of last year over capacity. We had to ask for donations of cages and pens and set them up in the lobby to have somewhere to put all the cats, because most of the cats we get are strays picked up by Animal Control, and if we don't have room for more then AC has to euthanize. There absolutely are more cats than homes for them, I'm sure that's not unique to my town, and it's frustrating.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:58 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,925,922 times
Oh how heartbreaking (and expensive for that shelter to treat all those animals)!

Old 04-02-2014, 11:12 AM

1,059 posts, read 831,002 times
I am a volunteer at our local SPCA (wonderful, no-kill, innovative shelter). During orientation for the kitten nursery, the head of veterinary services stated that ringworm outbreaks are next to impossible to control.

A couple of years ago, 36 kittens came down with ringworm. Fortunately, they were all treated successfully (expensive and time-consuming). Now an incoming kitten or cat will be euthanasized if it tests positive for ringworm. Sad, but she explained ringworm is highly contagious and the shelter does not have the time or funds to treat an outbreak. If this shelter euthanizes, then I have to believe the problem is very serious.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:23 PM

20,393 posts, read 14,667,898 times
There were the beginnings of a ringworm outbreak in the rescue where I got my boy, when I arrived to get him. She told my son not to pet the kittens that were running around loose, one had ringworm. It's one reason why I'm thankful that Nimbus was in a little cage up off the floor, sad situation though it was for him. Many of the cats there looked sick in one manner or another. She was actually telling me I could leave him until he got better. I told her no, I'd take responsibility for getting him healthy and wouldn't hold her liable in any way for anything that happened in that regard. So glad he was reasonably healthy, aside from his upper respiratory infection, when I got him and had him vetted and all. Poor kitties.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:33 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,516,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbyJaneway View Post
So sad and I don't understand it either. What's worse is I've read fools on the internet saying the pet overpopulation problem is a myth. The shelter I work at has space for 50 cats on the adoption floor, and about 20 more in the sickbay/quarantine area. In the year and a half I've been there we've never had fewer than 40 cats on any given day, and we spent most of last year over capacity. We had to ask for donations of cages and pens and set them up in the lobby to have somewhere to put all the cats, because most of the cats we get are strays picked up by Animal Control, and if we don't have room for more then AC has to euthanize. There absolutely are more cats than homes for them, I'm sure that's not unique to my town, and it's frustrating.
I think you need to learn about the new approach that is coming to shelters and that is to cut down on euthanasia by means of many important behaviors: Alley Cat Allies

Alley Cat Allies is partnering with some shelters in an effort to teach them how to cut down on admissions in the first place: Future Five: Shelter Partners to Save Cats' Lives - Alley Cat Allies

I would explain it here but it is ALL explained in the sites I have linked.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
I think you need to learn about the new approach that is coming to shelters and that is to cut down on euthanasia by means of many important behaviors: Alley Cat Allies

Alley Cat Allies is partnering with some shelters in an effort to teach them how to cut down on admissions in the first place: Future Five: Shelter Partners to Save Cats' Lives - Alley Cat Allies

I would explain it here but it is ALL explained in the sites I have linked.
That is a really good program, I would love to see all shelters who euthanize do that. We're already a no-kill shelter, that's why we did all we could to make room for more cats when we were full. I don't think our AC had to euthanize any cats last year, but I'm not sure about the ACs in the rural counties surrounding us. We often take their animals because we're the biggest shelter around here for about 30 miles. We stopped taking cats from those neighboring ACs and shelters for a few months when we were full. I'll see if I can send that link to the staff at the smaller shelters, I think it would help.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:25 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,516,184 times
Quote:
That is a really good program, I would love to see all shelters who euthanize do that. We're already a no-kill shelter, that's why we did all we could to make room for more cats when we were full. I don't think our AC had to euthanize any cats last year, but I'm not sure about the ACs in the rural counties surrounding us. We often take their animals because we're the biggest shelter around here for about 30 miles. We stopped taking cats from those neighboring ACs and shelters for a few months when we were full. I'll see if I can send that link to the staff at the smaller shelters, I think it would help.
Might I suggest that they could get in touch with Alley Cat Allies, because Alley Cat Allies gives a lot of free technical advice to small shelters and rescues. That is their mission.

I think it is wonderful what you are going to do.

Old 04-06-2014, 12:32 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,995,469 times
Quote:
So sad and I don't understand it either. What's worse is I've read fools on the internet saying the pet overpopulation problem is a myth. ...........There absolutely are more cats than homes for them, I'm sure that's not unique to my town, and it's frustrating.
Have you tried those fee free or very cheap adoption days? I saw on FB that several shelters advertized this and almost every cat was adopted out. Have you taken them off-site to the local PetStores to up adoptions?

Old 04-07-2014, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Have you tried those fee free or very cheap adoption days? I saw on FB that several shelters advertized this and almost every cat was adopted out. Have you taken them off-site to the local PetStores to up adoptions?
We do weekly or monthly themed specials, like in October all black cats are 50% off. Plus we have a VIP (very important pet!) donation fund where the money pays the adoption fees of our older animals and the ones that have been at our shelter for over a year. We do visits to Petco but only once or twice a year because we want the smaller shelters and rescue groups near us to be able to have that opportunity. The nearest shelter to us is in a rural area, they keep the animals running loose in a barn (they at least have separate barns for dogs and cats) and don't adequately monitor their health. It seems to be a universal feeling among the staff at my shelter that we want to see animals adopted out of that shelter ASAP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats