Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 11:57 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,995,469 times

Advertisements

I know I should keep up better than I do - so I'll ask here as I know some of you keep up on everything. Does anyone have a cat that developed cancer at the site of it's vaccinations? If so, which vaccine caused it? The multi or the rabies? The live or killed vaccine?

Has anyone heard of which is causing the most cancers? Have they been changed and no longer cause cancer?

Between reading conflicting things online and what my vet is claiming, my head is swirling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 06:54 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,994,516 times
Please refer to it as Injection Site Sarcoma, not the old term VAS- Vaccine Associate Sarcoma.

I lost Schubert at 14 to ISS. Osteo sarcoma.. right front leg. He was sick for 3 years before he passed in 1988. I can't tell you what injection caused it.

Now Charcoal.........when he had his tendon surgery on his front feet, he received a shot of Convenia.

Not two months later and he's feeling lumpy in the area of his upper thigh. Very small.. but the way I pet my cats and give them massages, I felt it.

We watched it for a month... and it spread.....so he had surgery to remove all the affected tissue and to get as wide of margins as possible. Now, I cannot remember the term the pathologist used, but we (me, the vet and pathologist) firmly believe it was caused by the Convenia.

Since then, he goes every three months for rechecks. So far, so good.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:10 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,373,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
Please refer to it as Injection Site Sarcoma, not the old term VAS- Vaccine Associate Sarcoma.

I lost Schubert at 14 to ISS. Osteo sarcoma.. right front leg. He was sick for 3 years before he passed in 1988. I can't tell you what injection caused it.

Now Charcoal.........when he had his tendon surgery on his front feet, he received a shot of Convenia.

Not two months later and he's feeling lumpy in the area of his upper thigh. Very small.. but the way I pet my cats and give them massages, I felt it.

We watched it for a month... and it spread.....so he had surgery to remove all the affected tissue and to get as wide of margins as possible. Now, I cannot remember the term the pathologist used, but we (me, the vet and pathologist) firmly believe it was caused by the Convenia.

Since then, he goes every three months for rechecks. So far, so good.
I hope he continues to do well.

Scary stuff.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post

..........Since then, he goes every three months for rechecks. So far, so good.
Thanks for the reply. I'm afraid to let my vet vaccinate any of our cats against anything. I hope your cat continues to do well.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:04 AM
KB4

1,032 posts, read 1,641,466 times
Scary indeed. I'm trying to figure out what vaccinations to have for Muffins who is an indoor cat (and we live in an apartment so there is no way for him to run out). He had the kitten distemper series but I haven't decided about rabies which is required in NY state for all cats over 6 months.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:20 AM

64 posts, read 94,360 times
I've been told to stay away from the 3 year rabies vaccine and that the 1 year vaccine is safer. My kitties got a whole bunch of shots when I adopted them. However, I now just give them the rabies vaccine. They are indoor cats and are never boarded. I don't see why they need any other vaccines.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:14 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
I'll say it's scary and I, too, have heard/read conflicting reports. I don't remember ever bringing our cats to the vets for the number of vaccines they push today.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:33 AM

670 posts, read 1,044,416 times
I'm well aware of this situation and limit the number of vaccinations my cats get to rabies and the nosedrops for distemper. They are totally indoor cats. I have my vet rotate vaccination sites, as he said that repeatedly getting vaccinations in one areas can cause this. The rabies vaccine is required, so what more can you do?

Old 04-29-2014, 04:54 PM

Thanks for the replies. I will skip their boosters as from all I read the vaccinations last more than only 12 months - and my cats are all indoor-only with no exposure to other animals. I wish we could all get some definitive answers from somewhere. I understand vets don't want to lose money and shots are extremely profitable for them. Those who mfg the drugs don't want to lose sales either.... it puts the pet owners at a real disadvantage when trying to find the truth.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:05 PM

2,218 posts, read 2,940,666 times
I have read so many different viewpoints on this subject and it's making it hard for me to make a decision for my own indoor cats. I really do believe that animals are over vaccinated but do I dare take a chance of not getting boosters and then gosh forbid something happen :-( I still don't know.

I know that some vets are now giving certain vaccines in one leg versus another and recording it (along with serial number) so they will start to understand what vaccines (and batches) may be causing it. They are also doing it lower down on the limb so that if they do get cancer they can amputate the limb rather than having to do more invasive surgery that may or may not get all the cancer. Our current vet did this with our two little ones.

Looking forward to more replies on your post so I can see what others have decided to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats