Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 06:41 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,373,958 times

Advertisements

Update to my earlier thread;
My sweet old man Stormy finished his 30 days of meds for high liver numbers, so he went back to the vet today for a re-test. The blood test (thyroid T-4 profile) showed his liver numbers are still high & showed no improvement. So he's getting another 30 days of the same meds (S-adenosylmethionine 100 mg) and then will have to go back for another blood test. I was hoping for some improvement, so I'm a little disappointed. These meds are supposed to support the liver and stimulate it's own regenerative function (my vets words). I asked what if the 2nd round doesn't do any good, and he said we'll have to wait and see.... whatever that means. Stormy is 17 years old, and perhaps his liver is just wearing out. Don't know if there's much to be done for him. He's eating, drinking using the litter box, and getting around ok & not showing any signs of discomfort. So he's doing ok for now. I guess I'll do this round of meds and try to save the worrying until it becomes really necessary. I hate watching my kids getting old like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 01:47 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,995,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
........ I guess I'll do this round of meds and try to save the worrying until it becomes really necessary. I hate watching my kids getting old like this.
Our furballs just don't live long enough. At 17 he's outlived many other cats and I'm sure had a wonderful life with you - both well cared for and loved. As long as he's not in pain or suffering.... let him be if there's still no improvement.

Old 05-24-2014, 03:25 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
My thoughts are with you. I hope Stormy's liver values decrease over the next 30 days. I agree that there is no reason to do anything drastic if he's not in pain.

Old 05-24-2014, 03:44 PM

41,964 posts, read 75,205,836 times
I'm sorry the meds didn't give the outcome you'd hoped for. All our paws are crossed that the next dose will help.

Old 05-24-2014, 06:19 PM

Thanks for the comments everyone, Stormy & I appreciate it. He's holding his own for the time being, and we'll see what happens in 30 days.

Old 05-24-2014, 07:00 PM

2,218 posts, read 2,940,666 times
I hate to hear that Catdad7x!

Our lab had liver disease and the vet also suggested SAMe. He also suggested that we change her diet to include more highly assimilable and digestible proteins. In her late stage of liver disease all she received was home prepared meals that consisted of the correct type of proteins for her.

You might want to ask your vet if there are any specific foods that he knows of that are high protein but absorb easier. If Stormy's food has any corn, soy or meat by products (which basically are beaks, feet etc) these are very hard to digest and hard on the liver so try to stay away form any foods that have things like that.

Crossing paws that his retest in 30 days is MUCH better!!!

Old 05-24-2014, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
I hate to hear that Catdad7x!

Our lab had liver disease and the vet also suggested SAMe. He also suggested that we change her diet to include more highly assimilable and digestible proteins. In her late stage of liver disease all she received was home prepared meals that consisted of the correct type of proteins for her.

You might want to ask your vet if there are any specific foods that he knows of that are high protein but absorb easier. If Stormy's food has any corn, soy or meat by products (which basically are beaks, feet etc) these are very hard to digest and hard on the liver so try to stay away form any foods that have things like that.

Crossing paws that his retest in 30 days is MUCH better!!!
I am avoiding discussing anything diet related with my vet. He's a good vet & I like him, but the entire front half of his small office is packed to the ceiling with every imaginable variety of Hills Science Diet... if that tells you anything. That's usually the first thing he reaches for if the subject of food comes up, and I'm not going there. None of my guys will eat that crap anyway.
Stormy doesn't eat dry food now, and is very picky about wet food. There's 2 flavors of Friskies and 2 flavors of Fancy Feast that he likes and that's about it. I know I need to find some healthier food for him and I'm going to work on that. I've already exhausted all the cat food options in my small town, and will have to go quite a distance to the closest Petsmart to find anything better/different. I also have the problem of reading pet food labels, and still not understanding exactly what's in it.
Anyway, I appreciate the well wishes and the advice.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:29 AM

Update;
My 17 year old Stormy finished his 2nd 30 day round of meds for his high liver numbers and went in for a blood re-test last week. His liver numbers are still high, and he's also showing indications of Pancreatitis & kidney failure. So even though he's doing ok for now, I know my time left with him is limited.
He's still eating, using the litter box, and getting around just fine... just sleeping a lot. I'll do what I can for him as long as I can, but am not going to let him suffer.
I really, really hate this.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:46 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,925,922 times
I'm so sorry things haven't improved with his numbers. Enjoy every day you have with him and treasure your time together.

It's h*ll watching our pets age (I have one who turns 16 this week).

Old 06-30-2014, 02:00 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,994,516 times
Ratz! I'm so sorry.

Getting old stinks........for we humans and our furry felines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats